Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:04:14 PM EDT
    I have a question.  When i shoot my ar and use the large hole aperature I can hit what I'm aiming at no problem but cannot consistently hot the same spot on the target,  Instead of a small group I get a horizontal string.  When I flip the small hole aperture up, other than shooting a bit high the Groups are sub moa.  Im sorry to sound like such an rookie but in regards to AR's I am.  I know that the smaller aperature is for longer range but I just adjusted my front sight a bit for elevation.  Any tips on how to shoot better with the lager, faster aquireing sight as I would prefer to use it.  Thanks in advance for any information.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Practice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Use the small aperture for close quarters or low light like it's designed for.  It's not an Eotech.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If your groupings are moving in vertical or diagonal lines, that means you need to work on your breathing control.  

Just relax and breathe normally, only squeeze the trigger during the natural respiratory pause which occurs in a 2 or 3 second period right after you exhale.  If you don't get the shot off during your natural respiratory pause, then just wait for the next one.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Use the small large aperture for close quarters or low light like it's designed for.  It's not an Eotech.

Fixed it for ya.

There's a trade off, the large aperture is not as accurate cause it's made to pick up the front sight quicker.  (red dot optice have nullified that issue)  When it comes to CQB you're not shooting for 10 ring, you shooting for minute-of-man, so that's the answer for iron sights.  Flip between the two in a dim room and you'll see the difference for low light.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
    I have a question.  When i shoot my ar and use the large hole aperature I can hit what I'm aiming at no problem but cannot consistently hot the same spot on the target,  Instead of a small group I get a horizontal string.  When I flip the small hole aperture up, other than shooting a bit high the Groups are sub moa.  Im sorry to sound like such an rookie but in regards to AR's I am.  I know that the smaller aperature is for longer range but I just adjusted my front sight a bit for elevation.  Any tips on how to shoot better with the lager, faster aquireing sight as I would prefer to use it.  Thanks in advance for any information.

What you are seeing is completely normal, expected, and there is really no way to change it.

The smaller aperture stops down the light coming into your eye, creating greater depth of field, which makes getting a good, crisp, front sight easier.  A front sight in sharp focus is essential for tight shooting with metallic sights.  On top of that, the smaller aperture makes it easier to detect errors in sight alignment, which could be why your horizontal dispersion is reduced.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Use the small large aperture for close quarters or low light like it's designed for.  It's not an Eotech.

Fixed it for ya.

Doh!  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input  guys!!!

Eric
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top