Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 10:58:34 AM EDT
Lake City gets big contract

Excerpt:  "Alliant, in a news release this morning, said it has stepped up production since it won the small-caliber ammunition contract in April 2000. The company also said it is modernizing the plant in Independence and expects to reach an annual production capacity of 1.5 billion rounds by March."

WOW!  That's a lot of rounds!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope we get some.  And not the PD crap.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
They gotta get ready for all those new lowers flooding into Kali right now
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The way I understand it,
The Gov can't sell "surplus" (which I interpret as top quality 1st rate ammo issued to the troops). The contractors that manufacture the gov contract ammo will sell us seconds or worse. Thanks to Klinton's exec order, the 1st run gov "surplus" has to be "demilled" I don't know this for fact, but what I do know is this:
I checked into trying to buying surplus 30 cal M1 carbine ammo. There were literally warehouses full of this ammo. Because the DOD no longer needs this ammo for any weapons in the current arsenal, (M1 Carbine) to sell the ammo off, it was sold to a contractor, who also happened to buy the same equipment it was manufactured on, taken apart, and then reassmbled on the same equipment it was manufacured on.
OUR TAX DOLLARS out the window again. Now a private contractor gets to make a buck, meanwhile we get to pay more.  
30.06 ammo went to the CMP. Which was delinked and then repackaged into 20 rd paper boxes. You can buy "surplus" from CMP, but its made in Greece, packed in clips and bandos. Think about it. All the real first run "surplus" ammo out there is from another country, not US.

Wonder how we all get together and try to reverse an executive order from Klinton while there's an elephant in the white house?
HOPEFULLY, someday there's gonna be TONS of 5.56 and 7.62 NATO surplus, we'll be out of the sandboxes and DOD won't want to "Demil" what we'd be happy to buy CHEAP.
Politics.........
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The CMP also has surplus Lake City .30 M2 Ball ammo.
Its not de-milled, or re-manufactured. Mine was made in 1968.
The LC ammo is the stuff originally on 1919 links, not the Greek ammo.
It was de-linked by Talon, and put in boxes. As I understand it, the CMP recieved around 10 Million rounds of LC .30 cal M2 ammo from the Army.
When you get a case from the CMP, you get 960 rounds in 20 rd boxes. 12 boxes to a .30 cal ammo can. 4 ammo cans to a wirebound wooden crate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Vapor,
I tried to explain LC M2 is also available from CMP, delinked and repacked in 20 rd boxes. It's still handed over to a contractor to be procesed (delinked, tracers pulled), costing the taxpayer more $$ with Talon making a  buck as well as the CMP. So we get wacked twice, profits made by Talon and CMP, with our tax dollars spent to get that job done. Then we as shooters pay the profits to the contractors.

Think back before Klinton. Gun shows....M60 linked belts w/tracers available at around 15cents a round sometimes less. M1 carbine for next to nuthin. M2 ball cheaper than M60. 5.56 Nam era ammo SURPLUS....cheap.

I'm not arguing with you. I just don't get the logic of this Klinton exec order, and wish there was a way to change it. I think we're all hoping the sandbox war will someday be won. Those huge contracts will be produced and there will be a glut of ammo in gov stockpiles. The way the law stands right now, we'll never see top tier ammo as "surplus".
Just my opinion. Frustrated cuz I don't know how it can ever be changed.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The logic of this Klinton exec order was to further limit civilian access to ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The logic of this Klinton exec order was to further limit civilian access to ammo.

Thats hitting the nail right on the head.
It sux what klinton did, but what do you expect from a gun grabbing lib. He did his best to destroy tens if not hundreds of thousands of M-14s, 1911s, and other obsolete military small arms. A lot of the weapons had historical value, and could have made the govt a lot of money by selling them to collectors. Obviously the M-14s couldn't be sold, but the parts generated by their dis-assembly, would be worth a lot more than the price for scrap steel. Instead, he sent them to the crusher at Anniston.

Lapster, I am not trying to start an arguement either. I am not too crazy about paying for ammo again, that was paid for by Joe Taxpayer once already. But its still better than seeing it go to the furnace.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They gotta get ready for all those new lowers flooding into Kali right now

Woo hooooo!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Obviously the M-14s couldn't be sold

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once a MG, always a MG...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow.

If a minigun ran at 3000 rounds per minute and could run continously, it would take 8333 hours to burn up that ammo or 347 days.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The spirit of this thread is idioit laws, and you guys are willingly capitulating to an opinion.

[banhgead]

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The spirit of this thread is idioit laws, and you guys are willingly capitulating to an opinion.

[banhgead]

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top