Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2003 5:27:35 PM EDT
Does either have a real advantage over the other? Is there a difference other than the M193 being a little hotter and having a faster muzzle velocity?

I have a 20" M3 HBAR and a 16" M4gery. Ammo will be for either/both weapon(s).

Previously, I have only bought Lake City M193 in small amounts (200-300 rounds at a time). I am now in a position to start buying bigger quantities. Am looking for plinking/target ammo and SHTF stash.

Cheapest that I have found is:

1000 rds of Lake City M193 = $200
1000 rds of Winchester Q3131A = $175
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Hummmm.....perhaps if I would have asked "Lake City M193 vs. Winchester (Israel) Q3131A vs. MAINE CARTRIDGE COMPANY", this thread would have gotten a lot more interest.

Calm down, just kidding!

Seriously, I am interested to know if one brand has a definate advantage over the other.
Less failures? More accurate at 100yds? 200yds?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry I can't answer your question.
Where did you see that price for Lake City?

Oops!  I just found it in my ammo folder.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, both Lake City M193 and Winchester Q3131A (produced in Israel) are both loaded to M193 military specs. I was just wondering if there was any difference in the two, since one is $25-30 cheaper than the other.

Wholesale Hunter has Winchester Q3131A for $164.50 (not including shipping). Shipped is about $176.50.

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/privatespecials/bargdes/winchester_usa_5.htm

CMMG has Lake City for $99.95 per 500 delivered. (2X = approx $200 per 1000)

http://www.cmmginc.com/inventory_a/specials_tbl.html

Both seem to be the best prices I have found. From other threads, there seems to be some question about Wholesale Hunter's availability from one day to the next. Sounds like they are selling more than they have since it is such a good price and then people are waiting to get their ammo for awhile with no gurantee on when it will ship.  

As for me, I would rather have $200 worth of 1000 rounds in my house that waiting on $177 worth of nothing.

I am looking at picking up 2-3K rounds in the next 2 weeks, and wanted to know if anyone who has fired both noticed any (true) differences in accuracy, muzzle velocity, failures, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#4]
thompsondd,

I'm sitting on 1K of XM193 and 2K of Q3131A.  Haven't shot either as of yet.  Still waiting for another 1K from wholesalehunter.  (Good luck, I know.)

Anyways, I've heard mixed feedback regarding the differences between the two.  Specifically, I was interested if I'd need to re-zero when switching between these two M193 spec rounds.  Some users report differences between the two.  One response was no difference.  People say that XM193 is a little hotter than the Q3131 loads.  I guess I'll need to find out for myself.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am looking at picking up 2-3K rounds in the next 2 weeks, and wanted to know if anyone who has fired both noticed any (true) differences in accuracy, muzzle velocity, failures, etc.
View Quote

I have ordered BOTH from WH in the past and had much success. ($176 for Q3131A & $171 for LC)

Accuracy for me personally, the Q3131A and LC was about the same EXCEPT that the LC seemed alot HOTTER, more flash and bang at trigger pull. I will only be buying LC when it comes on sale sometimes and just save my Q3131A.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot quite a bit of both and prefer Q3131A.
It has a slight edge in accuracy(in my weapon) and less muzzle flash(Q3131A was still bright from my 16" post-ban, but not nearly as bad as XM193).  There were no failures from either brand.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far.

It sounds like, and I may be wrong, but from simple inferrence of the replies so far that both of these types of ammo are pretty much the same. Both sound fine to use in a 20" barrel, with the Winchester Q3131A possibly having a slight edge here due to less flash/bang. However, the Lake City sounds as if it may be slightly hotter, which makes me wonder if it would have the edge in a smaller 16" barrel. Does the Q3131A may leave a 16" a little too slow? Of course, so far, everything, including my own speculations, are completely subjective.

Since my main rifle is my M4 w/ a 16" 1:9, I am concerned about losing too much muzzle velocity. Does anyone have any hard data on muzzle velocity of the Lake City XM193 and Winchester Q3131A from a 16" and 20" 1:9? I would like to stay somewhere close to 3050-3100fps from the 16".

Isn't 2700fps the magic number for sufficent fragmentation?

The reason behind my questioning is purely SHTF hypothetical. I am concerned about maintaining sufficent velocity/energy to inflict maximum damage/lethal consquences if ever needed (God willing, that day will never come and the only victims I will ever see will continue to be paper targets, aluminum cans, and the occasional unlucky milk jug!)
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out:[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]
There's a ballistics chart at the question:What sort of velocity and ballistics should I expect from military ammo?

Some of your other questions are answered there too.  It's great reading.  Hope that helps.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
'bout the only difference I have seen is that the Winchester is purtier.  Buy whichever is cheaper at the time and you can't go wrong.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top