Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:46:48 AM EDT
I've been seeing this a lot lately and was wondering the purpose:

looks?   Personally I think its ugly

place marker?    I.E. to mark which rail position to return an optic to...but we have t-numbers for that

to prevent rails from hanging on gear?  maybe..

So you guys that do it...Why?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Protects the rails, from getting dinged up.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Protects the rails, from getting dinged up.

Mike

Ya, the safe can get pretty rough at times.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I think they feel nicer than the normal panels.  I have them on my 3, 6, and 9:00 rails.  No need for one on top.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
i have never seen the need for rail protectors on the upper reciever, especially when there are optics mounted

think its to help make it look nicer with the color theme
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
They add less bulk, protect the rails and your hands.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think they feel nicer than the normal panels.  I have them on my 3, 6, and 9:00 rails.    MJD

I agree about having them on a forend rail for comfort.  My question is about them being on upper recievers, but based on the responses I've gotten so far, it's purely for looks.  ok, whatever floats ur boat

Doc

ETA:  these are some of the pics that prompted this question:

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So you guys that do it...Why?

Because no matter where those little uncovered sections of rail are they’re still sharp as hell.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a short section of ladder on my upper receiver's rail between my BUIS and optic to protect it.

Besides, what else am I going to do with the little leftover sections after shortening my rail's ladders?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You've used pictures where it looks to me like the owners are using colored ladder panels to accent the weapon coloring.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think they feel nicer than the normal panels.  I have them on my 3, 6, and 9:00 rails.    MJD

I agree about having them on a forend rail for comfort.  My question is about them being on upper recievers, but based on the responses I've gotten so far, it's purely for looks.  ok, whatever floats ur boat

Doc

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Sovereign/IMG_1441.jpg

www.engbc.com/Brad/IMG_0920.JPG

Oops, sorry, misread your question.  I would think it's strictly for appearance.  However, if you've got one of the really sharp receivers, putting a ladder rail on there might help protect the the rifle case from getting cut up.  Just a thought.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You've used pictures where it looks to me like the owners are using colored ladder panels to accent the weapon coloring.  

You're more then likely right on with that one Stickman for those examples.

However.......

I'm going to, for some odd reason, add some fuel to Bullseye_Doc_Holiday's fire for him… here's an example AR that doesn't fit the above profile... this is my own AR which shows that accenting wasn't my motivation for adding a section of ladder guard to my upper receiver’s rail:

Like I said up the page a bit, I’m more interested in protecting myself from the sharp edges on the exposed rail sections… “looks” wasn’t what I was going for myself.  Either way thought it certainly doesn’t adversely affect my setup by having it on there as I don’t utilize that space for anything at all… if I had a need for a magnifier &/or NV I’d probably go without the ladder section as that’d be one less step I’d have to take. (For that I’d take my chances with the sharp, exposed rail section. )
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doc

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Sovereign/IMG_1441.jpg

www.engbc.com/Brad/IMG_0920.JPG

Hey, the top one is mine! Did I buy an extra ladder to put on the receiver? No. Did I have an extra one lying around that just so happened to be already cut to a length that fit behind the Larue M68 mount? Yes. Am I an Asshat/poser/couchcommando for putting it there? Let's start a poll!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top