Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 6:09:15 PM EDT
www.olyarms.com/ammowarning.html

Have any of you guys had this happen to your ar-15s.  Specifically Wolf ammo.  Is Wolf ammo really bad for your gun, or is this just a bunch of talk so they can't get sued.  I hope so cause Wolf is the only ammo I can afford for my future gun    :(

And what is your opinion of Olympic Arms?

Thanks,
Ken
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Olympic Arms....I've read some good things, especially for the price.  It's a good accurate gun for plinking. I put a sweet AR the other weekend for about 700. DPMS upper RR lower...super tight.  I have heard mixed things about wolf mmo.  The metal to metal contact wears out the gun quicker. I haven't shot wolf out of mine, but I have in other guns..Just real dirty..Its cheap though...Try it
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a FYI, WOLF no longer lacquer coats thier ammo.  They also do not use steel casings anymore.  They are really trying to clean up because they have a bad image in the gun world.  Having said that, I would shoot wolf ammo anyday out of my AK, but never thru my AR.  I just feel like putting supreme gas in my cadillac weapon.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The lacquer on the case doesn't melt at the temperatures experienced during firing of the weapon. Also, Wolf has also gone with their new "Polymer Coating" making this pretty much a non-issue.

And what is your opinion of Olympic Arms?

I'll leave that one to markm
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Before I started using Wolf ammo in my M4 clone, I've read a few assorted negative  post and replies reguarding Wolf. That being said, I went ahead and purchesed 60rds to see  if my Bushy and CMMG upper liked it or not.
That being said,  both upper has digested many thousands of rounds since than.

Perhaps, a none  chromed barrel & chamber "might" have  issues,but that I know nothing about.

Try it, your AR  should  like it as well.

TG
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
not this again

shoot wolf and be happy!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Wal mart sells name barnd ammo for a decent price, go there!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just a FYI, WOLF no longer lacquer coats thier ammo.  They also do not use steel casings anymore.

Since when did Wolf stop using steel casings?  I know all about the new polymer coated cases but the case is still STEEL.  They switched from a copper plated steel JACKET to a copper jacket a while ago if that is what you mean.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just a FYI, WOLF no longer lacquer coats thier ammo.  They also do not use steel casings anymore.

Since when did Wolf stop using steel casings?  I know all about the new polymer coated cases but the case is still STEEL.  They switched from a copper plated steel JACKET to a copper jacket a while ago if that is what you mean.

I also would like to know if your information is correct.  I just bought a new batch of Wolf and the box still says steel casings.  

BTW the previous 1000 rounds of Wolf were great.  Accuracy was 2" at  50 yds (prone, irons) and not a one failed to feed, extract, or fire.  This was out of my Bushy 14.5-incher.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My bad fellas,  What I meant is what the actual jacket of the bullet is now.  The claim they use copper or bimetal now???  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Very dirty but only one bad round out of the 1000 I shot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]
In my experience wolf is very dirty ammo. It does leave more debris than other higher cost ammo.

Also, steel cased ammo causes excess wear on your extractor. All the wolf I have seen has been steel cased. I suggest not using it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Wolf is perfectly fine to use in an AR. Some people baby their equipment (their perrogative whrn they spend that kind of $$$). However one of the myths you will quickly find dispelled is that "the AR is unreliable". Bullshit. It can and will take abuse. Nothing can take abuse like an AK but guys here have funneled 1000s of rounds of Wolf through theirs and the only negative consequence is extra time cleaning the dirty weapon.

Oly? I consider it strictly second tier and wouldn't bother with it (but I'm a snob). Many people on this board have been very happy with theirs though. What I specifically dislike about them is that they do not (or at least did not) offer a chrome-lined barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Spend a little more $ and buy brass cased ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top