Posted: 11/28/2007 9:46:58 PM EDT
Link

Anyone use one?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Good kit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice and well made, but doesn't fold, therefore I wouldn't consider it.  Hint to LaRue:  Make a folding BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice and well made, but doesn't fold, therefore I wouldn't consider it.  Hint to LaRue:  Make a folding BUIS.

I was thinkin about that too, but, if you really think about it, a folding BUIS is only really needed if you're running a MAGNIFIED optic.  If you're just using an M3 then there's no issue with the LaRue.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Good piece, very solid but swapped for a Matech on my main carbine; contemplating using it for a MK18 build or selling it for the LMT piece.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good piece, very solid but swapped for a Matech on my main carbine; contemplating using it for a MK18 build or selling it for the LMT piece.

I've got both the LMT and the LaRue.  While I prefer the aesthetics of the LMT, the favoritism ends there.

The LaRue is one of the most magnificently functional BUIS I've ever played with, and I own (& have owned) everything from Troy to LMT to GG&G to Matech to DPMS and everything in between.

LaRue, IMO, is the best fixed period.

LMT is the best fixed A2.

Troy is the best folding A1.

GG&G is the best folding A2. (But stay away from the MAD, their A2 is better.  If you want a folding same plane dual aperture, get the damn Troy.)

ETA:  And it's B E A utiful behind an Aimpoint.

ETAA:  And for those that don't know the difference, A1=Set it & forget it.  A2=Getting to fiddle with windage & elevation easily.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the informative reply.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thats how I was running it before, had the Larue piece behind a Comp M2 on a Larue cantilever mount.  Im thinking for the MK18 build using LMT upper and lower w/all Larue instead of the LMT/Wilcox/KAC parts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats how I was running it before, had the Larue piece behind a Comp M2 on a Larue cantilever mount.  Im thinking for the MK18 build using LMT upper and lower w/all Larue instead of the LMT/Wilcox/KAC parts.

I think that's a fantastic idea.  Anyone will tell you that just because the military has adopted something, doesn't necessarily make it the best.

Make it yours.  Make it unique.

As soon as my tax stamp arrives I WILL have an LMT 10.5 with LaRue BUIS, Aimpoint M2 in LaRue Cantlever, Troy floated rail, and KX3 flash hider.

Is that what the military uses?  Hell no.  Is it going to be my very own MK18 inspired piece of happiness?  You bet yer ass it will.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ken Hackathorn was quoted as saying a folded BUIS is a sign of a clueless operator.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
AGREED

I HATE FIXED BUIS

I do like Larue over LMT BUIS
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ken Hackathorn was quoted as saying a folded BUIS is a sign of a clueless operator.

And I can name a half dozen trainers that fold their sights down.

I've made hits in FoF with an aimpoint that lacked a dot, FWIW. and NO sights. Good hits, 100% of the time across a room.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I agree

But I like folding for a BUIS with SAME PLANE APs

If I ran just IRONS ONLY I would buy Larue Fixed buis for my 2 LMT M4`s

I dont like the A2 sights period.

I love LMT Big Time but not there BUIS

I dont much care for my ARMS 40 with the 500/600M Line Notch.
I do have a ASHLEY same plane AP that was on my Old A1 bushy
I might switch them out

I also like my arms 40L same plane thats on my Go To M4
I didnt even need to zero it!  Dead center
My First Carbine that didnt need any Left or right adjustments
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I run them as fixed irons for my plinking/range rifle. I also run them behind my AimPoint and EoTech. Fixed BUIS behind non magnafied optics and run lower 1/3 cowitness, if the dot dies and you need to make a quick aimed shot, the irons are ready.

I have a Troy under my scoped rifle and plan on a few more.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And your point is?  I could give two shits what anyone thinks about my gear selection.  I like it, it's my money and it works for me.  I suppose you're an operator with a "clue."
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two of their fixed BUIS one on a 6920and one on a Bushy. I really like them as they are rugged, have a throwlever, and co-witness my Eotechs in the lower 1/3 of the sight picture. If you plan on a maginfier for eith a Eotech or Aimpoint it won't work, same goes for a ACOG. I'm just not a fan of something I might have deploy in a hurry I'd rather have it ready to go think KISS. Everybody has their favorite but with winter gloves on I had real problems with the ARMS #40 and a GG&G folder. Just my .02c worth.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Have one, don't use it though.  I like flip ups which stay out of the way until needed.  It is a solid piece of gear though.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, yeah.

Besides the the LMT Buis, I've never seen anyone who utilized a buis use a fixed one.  Someone tell Hackathorn that all the SF guys I've seen need help, because they're clueless.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Me likey!

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Someone tell Hackathorn that all the SF guys I've seen need help, because they're clueless.  

Quoted:
I guess I never keep up with all the "who's who" in the gun world with everyone professing this or that...So MANY "tactical" trainers out there nowadays, it's hard to keep them straight. [

Before getting on a respected trainer's case, I think we should do a couple of things:
#1 Consider the source. We have an assertion from an anonymous poster on the Internet (aka Errornet).
#2 Consider the context. Even if the statement is true, we don't know the context in which it was said. It is very possible the words were taken out of context, thereby drastically changing their meaning.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where was he quoted saying this? Would like to read what he said in context.

Damn, you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got one to lose if someone in this thread wants it.  need a flip down instead.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Someone tell Hackathorn that all the SF guys I've seen need help, because they're clueless.  

Quoted:
I guess I never keep up with all the "who's who" in the gun world with everyone professing this or that...So MANY "tactical" trainers out there nowadays, it's hard to keep them straight. [

Before getting on a respected trainer's case, I think we should do a couple of things:
#1 Consider the source. We have an assertion from an anonymous poster on the Internet (aka Errornet).
#2 Consider the context. Even if the statement is true, we don't know the context in which it was said. It is very possible the words were taken out of context, thereby drastically changing their meaning.

I read the full article roughly a 8 months to a year ago.  I believe it was written by Larry Vickers but he quoted Ken Hackathorn.  The article might have been in relation to the HK416.  I'll try to find it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Never was attempting to "get  on a respected trainer's case."  Just posting what philosophy has worked for me over the years.  Hope this helps.
My mistake and apologies.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Found it:

Taken from: vickerstactical.com/articles/HK416_556mm.pdf

Available from HK is a set of sights that are the typical HK diopter design that gives the 416 the same sight picture as the MP5. The rear sight has four settings: 100, 200,
300 and 400 meters.  These sights mount to the top rail. They do not fold, which is
excellent, as backup sights should be up, not folded down. If you need backup
sights, you certainly will not have much time to flip them up; folded down
backup sights in a combat environment is a sign of a “clueless” operator. HK
also offers a flip-up front sight for the 416, but it is mated to the HK diopter
rear. Because the receiver is made to a different height than a gas tube
AR15/M16, Aimpoint and L-3 EOTech mounting rings or bases must be made
for the HK416 or they will be too high for the HK diopter iron sight backup
viewing. Mark LaRue offers a HK 416 Aimpoint mount that is like all his products—
superb.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Found it:

SNIP If you need backup sights, you certainly will not have much time to flip them up; folded down
backup sights in a combat environment is a sign of a “clueless” operator. SNIP

That makes more sense to me.

I agree with him. On my rifle with a magnifier, the BUIS is folded down. On my rifle with just an Aimpoint the BUIS is in the up position.

The other poster's comment, in the context of following another poster asking ML to make a folding BUIS, made it sound like KH said that people with folding BUIS is a sign of a clueless operator.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  

Anyone with a folder that doesn't leave it in the up position at all times is not clueless.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#31]
The LaRue BUIS is the only rear sight that will grace my flattop ARs.

Just my opinion, but I haven't found a reason to fold a rear sight down, excluding the need to fit them underneath scopes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I personally think they are kinda butt ugly but function over form anyday.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just my opinion, but I haven't found a reason to fold a rear sight down, excluding the need to fit them underneath scopes.

I sold stuff and saved money to the point I could afford a KAC 300M. I saw one at a class and I thought it did the best job of being there when needed, yet remaining unobtrusive.

Then I found out they made the 600M and had to save some more money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#34]
What did guys use before Larue and LMT BUIS

The aimpoint alone can be used a a Ghost Ring!

I myself like Folding BUIS

wich can be used while up
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sold stuff and saved money to the point I could afford a KAC 300M. I saw one at a class and I thought it did the best job of being there when needed, yet remaining unobtrusive.

Then I found out they made the 600M and had to save some more money.

lol, I too have been bitten by that bug...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Found it:

Available from HK is a set of sights that are the typical HK diopter design that gives the 416 the same sight picture as the MP5. The rear sight has four settings: 100, 200,
300 and 400 meters.
 These sights mount to the top rail. They do not fold, which is
excellent, as backup sights should be up, not folded down. If you need backup
sights, you certainly will not have much time to flip them up; folded down
backup sights in a combat environment is a sign of a “clueless” operator. HK
also offers a flip-up front sight for the 416, but it is mated to the HK diopter
rear. Because the receiver is made to a different height than a gas tube
AR15/M16, Aimpoint and L-3 EOTech mounting rings or bases must be made
for the HK416 or they will be too high for the HK diopter iron sight backup
viewing. Mark LaRue offers a HK 416 Aimpoint mount that is like all his products—
superb.

The rear diopter sight is not graduated in meters.  They are graduated according to size of the aperture for varying light conditions.  They all shoot to the same point-of-impact.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Bravocompany had them for sale

like 200 bucks
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Jeff, can you take a closer picture of the bottom of your rails, specifically how it looks with the cut TD panels?

I've been thinking about cutting mine but I just can't bring my self to break out the hacksaw & sandpaper...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
It's what I use.I like it better than the LMT because it's smaller and the lever doesnt stick out like the thumb wheel on the LMT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I just wish that they made a front.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I just wish that they made a front.

A matching LaRue Fixed BUIS...

BRILLIANT!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hey Jeff, can you take a closer picture of the bottom of your rails, specifically how it looks with the cut TD panels?

I've been thinking about cutting mine but I just can't bring my self to break out the hacksaw & sandpaper...

I have been debating the same thing. I think he has/had some for sale in the EE.  By the way Jeff thats another great looking carbine!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree

I might switch them out

Yeah, I like my 40L-SP too, it's as good or better than the Troy, LMT, or GG&G, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#45]
on my SPR flat top i have troy folders that i'd have to remove my scope to use, but on my cmmg M4gery i have the LR in lower 1/3 with aimpoint.  works really well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the full article roughly a 8 months to a year ago.  I believe it was written by Larry Vickers but he quoted Ken Hackathorn.  The article might have been in relation to the HK416.  I'll try to find it.

EDIT- How did I miss this whole second page of the thread It would have saved me alot of time looking thru old magazines. DOH!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Like others I have used LMT, Troy, LaRue, GG&G, Knights, Matech, ARMS and many other BUIS's over the years.

About 3.5 years ago I tried a LaRue BUIS.  At the time, I prefered a folding BUIS.  After trying the LaRue, I ended putting LaRue BUIS's on all of my guns that didn't have magnified optics on them.

For a fixed BUIS, LaRue is the best of the breed.

For a folding BUIS, Troy Ind is the best of the breed.

i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/molsen2295/USMC03/coyote%20Colt/DSC02080.jpg?t=1196382968

i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/molsen2295/USMC03/coyote%20Colt/DSC02081.jpg?t=1196382994

-Jeff

I fully agree

I like the Larue over LMT BUIS!

Troy same plane BUIS is awesome as well

And if I had EXTRA CASH I would Update from my ARMS 40L same plane BUIS
Thats on my GO TO Factory Defender 2000

My BACK UP LMT/BushyM4  has the ARMS 40 BUIS with that 500/600M LINE NOTCH
zero at 25M

Jeff have you ever used the Line notch 500/600M to see if it really works?

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I bought full size KAC panels and trim to size!
they are easy

Dont know about the others
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree

I might switch them out

Yeah, I like my 40L-SP too, it's as good or better than the Troy, LMT, or GG&G, IMO.

Only bad thing I can say about my ARMS 40Lsp is that you cant have the GHOST RING AP when Flip up

but thats how ARMS made it

Thinking of useing my OLD ASHLEY SAME PLANE APs on my ARMS40 with the 500/600M Line notch

I think it will Fit  but will stick up a bit
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had two LaRue BUIS.  They're the best you can get if you want a fixed sight.  I don't buy them anymore.  Making it same-plane is $25, and I'm not completely satisfied with the Ashley/XS very much because of the aperture sizes.  That put me at $115 and I wasn't completely content.  I've settled on paying the extra $25 for a Troy and just leaving it up.  It also provides flexability if/when you want to buy a magnified optic and occasionally use it on different weapons.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top