Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2006 1:37:13 PM EDT
which mount is better for the Aimpoint? I currently have the Aimpoint QD w/spacer holding my ML2. I don't like it. I'm debating between the LaRue with the cantilever and the one without. I also might consider the ARMS with the cantilever. Is the LaRue better being a one piece design? Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
LaRue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What makes the LaRue superior is the adjustable tension on the throw lever.  I have an ARMS 22M68 for my Aimpoint and it fits fine on the upper it's on.  But on one of my other flattops, the ARMS will move forward and back when attached.  The LaRue can be tightened to eliminate any slop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for larue but if you get a good deal on an arms then you are on your own
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Larue.

It is a superior mount. Works better. Holds zero after on/off.

If you sell it, it will have superior resale value.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The LaRue LT150 has two major components-the body and the ring. The ARMS has four--the base, the spacer, and two rings. Plus they both have a throwlever* but the ARMS one is not tensionable, might not fit, and is more complicated.

*Throwlever is an ARMS trademark, proving that if you can't design a superior product, you should at least take legal posession of the name for that kind of tool.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You've been on this site for close to two years and you have never seen the monthly 11 page ARMS vs  LaRue debates???????

Ford/ Chevy
Craftsmen/Snap On

Either will serve you well.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I still have all my ARMS mounts.  They do the job.  None are slipping yet.  Anything new for me is Larue.  I'm sold on the adjustable tension.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I'll go with the LaRue. Yeah, I've seen the debates. I wanted some new input.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned both (LaRue and ARMS)............All my optic mounts are LaRue Tactical (Aimpoint, ACOG, and Leupold MR/T)

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had and used both. I sold the ARMS and have gone LaRue exclusively.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Anytime LaRue is an option, then LaRue is the answer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]
All my Aimpoints set atop the most used 30mm mount in the military; the ARMS #22M68.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Less parts
Steel lever, adjustable (not MIM)
Low weight
Guaranteed no shift in zero
Actually made by LT (not a sub)

Get the LaRue

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Altho I never used the LaRue mount when I had my Aimpoint, I CAN say that my ARMS 22M68 mount with vertical spacer NOT ONCE lost zero in the many times I've ever removed it from my Bushy M4A3.  I removed it each time I cleaned the rifle and a few times for other reasons.

No problems whatsoever and always remained a very tight fit.  Only sold the setup to move to an AccuPoint which resides in a LaRue SPR-E mount.  I would've went with ARMS again if they had a similar mount for the AccuPoint.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
LaRue without hesitation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I've used ARMS 22M68 and 19S for a while without any problems. However, I like to move sights around to my taste sometimes and doing this did make the mount go loose.

It still held the zero and everything but if I applied enough force it would move back and forth.

So I got the LaRue and it is built like tank and is extremely tight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#20]
EOTECH!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The LaRue LT150 has two major components-the body and the ring. The ARMS has four--the base, the spacer, and two rings. Plus they both have a throwlever* but the ARMS one is not tensionable, might not fit, and is more complicated.

*Throwlever is an ARMS trademark, proving that if you can't design a superior product, you should at least take legal posession of the name for that kind of tool.

I personally like the spacer concept because it gives a level of flexibility the fixed mount does not. Also, you listed ARMS as having two rings (upper and lower) but stated it as though LaRue has only one ring. They use two halves or "two rings" as you have so incorrectly pointed out.

ARMS was the first to market, why shouldn't they get the rights or credit? The LaRue may be better made or more popular but they are not the originator of the concept. Some people act as though LaRue invented the throw lever when he obviously did not.

By the way, SKD is a LaRue dealer and I have had very good experiences with them.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
All my Aimpoints set atop the most used 30mm mount in the military; the ARMS #22M68.

Mike

Same here.

Tried the LT?  

And, would you say LT if you sold them?

If you weren't in bed with LaRue would you talk the product up so much?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally like the spacer concept because it gives a level of flexibility the fixed mount does not. Also, you listed ARMS as having two rings (upper and lower) but stated it as though LaRue has only one ring. They use two halves or "two rings" as you have so incorrectly pointed out.

Current LaRue mounts have one ring instead of two, like the earlier ones. The spacer argument is pretty much moot for me--I already experiemented and found what I liked.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ian187,

You pick your horses and I'll pick mine.

Practice what you preach and quit slinging shit at businesses who don't vocally support LaRue. Your last post was out of line.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Same here.

Tried the LT?  

And, would you say LT if you sold them?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARMS was the first to market, why shouldn't they get the rights or credit? The LaRue may be better made or more popular but they are not the originator of the concept. Some people act as though LaRue invented the throw lever when he obviously did not.

By the way, SKD is a LaRue dealer and I have had very good experiences with them.

I think the "lever" was invented LONG before ARMS ever used it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:27:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ian187,

You pick your horses and I'll pick mine.

Practice what you preach and quit slinging shit at businesses who don't vocally support LaRue. Your last post was out of line.

It would appear that they do not "vocally" support LT because they can't or won't sell there stuff. Dealers need to try and remain objective, even if they cannot carry that product.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It would appear that they do not "vocally" support LT because they can't or won't sell there stuff. Dealers need to try and remain objective, even if they cannot carry that product.

You should have told your buddy that before he got booted.  You know...the same buddy whose adds in the EE you bumped that are now locked.  You and your buddy must be real close.  

Another ARMS/Larue thread going bad with the usual suspects at the lead.  Sad, sad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Dealers don't need to do anything.  Business is business and look what happens when you voice your dealer opinion against other products on this board - ya get booted.  That 'other' dealer who got ousted happens to really know his shit, and voiced his 2 cents on the matter.  But in any case, he got the boot for it....whether or not that behavior was good for business....well that's really no one else's concern by the dealer in question.

Objectional about what though...the inferiority of one product over another?  Are you saying dealers should stay out of the technical forums?  

As for the subject matter, to get this thread back on topic....(my own "EOTECH!" outburst on page 1 aside)....

The ARMS mount Larue will both do the same job.  One one would do it better.  I won't say which one though, so no one gets butt hurt cause I'm promoting a particular product line.  Oh wait, I'm not a dealer - I can get away with that can't I???!!!!

Larue.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have told your buddy that before he got booted.  You know...the same buddy whose adds in the EE you bumped that are now locked.  You and your buddy must be real close.  

Another ARMS/Larue thread going bad with the usual suspects at the lead.  Sad, sad.

G&R's ads in the EE were be bumped by his MANY of his friends (not just me). They were trying to help him out as best they could. It is sad what happened in that situation. His banning is not forever and he will be back on at a later date.

G&R has recommended ARMS products to many people, but just didn't feel they were the best choice out there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#36]
LaRue.

I've used both, the LaRue is superior.

There really isn't an argument here.

While attending a class the instructor asked random students what gear they were running.  One offered up his carbine running an ARMS Aimpoint mount.  The instructor grabbed the carbine and wiggled the mount and the optic back and forth and then requested it be passed around so everyone could feel it.

Up to that point, I thought I was the only one who had ever had that problem.  Apparently, it's common for the "shoes" to wear out on the ARMS mounts and then allow the wiggle room.

I haven't encountered that with the LaRue mounts.  For one, there is no shoe to degrade over time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
LaRue.

True, but why does it have to come with accusations and insults?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LaRue.

True, but why does it have to come with accusations and insults?

I would ask the same question. We can all like different things and what works for one, might not work for another.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Larue is the superior mount.  I have no use for ARMS non-adjustable throw levers.  The only advantage that ARMS may have is when your poor/broke and you have to use the mount on two rifles like a FAL where you'd take out the spacer and an AR where you would use the spacer.  Not everyone has the coin or the absolute need for 2 Aimpoints and two mounts. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Larue makes mounts like ARMS and B-SQUARE get a bad rap
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#42]
What about the gg&g mount...

nothing like putting a little gas on the fire ;)

I own the gg&g and like it ALOT...

any thoughts???
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

any thoughts???

I personally like GG&G mounts, but they are kind of pricey for what you get.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

any thoughts???

GG&G mounts, the clones of the KAC gear, are very robust mounts.

However, most of them are not quick detach.  I like the GG&G Cantilever mount with the wing nut attachment.  It's VERY solid.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Too bad the LaRue doesn't have an adjustable height, spacer, or other.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Too bad the LaRue doesn't have an adjustable height, spacer, or other.

I have never moved my aimpoint to another firearm. I kind of wonder how often other people actually move their aimpoints around.

I have a TA31F in a Larue ACOG mount.  I have the Aimpoint in a RAS II LaRue mount.

I swap as the class or range session dictates.  Total times swapped =  ~Four.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
i2.tinypic.com/sowm4w.jpg

Well, that just made up my mind.  Especially since the ARMS only has a two year warranty.  Anyone know what the LaRue warranty is?  I would assume lifetime given the companies reputation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top