Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:47:15 PM EDT
Thought you folks may enjoy some sharp images of LaRue's PVS-14 Mount (recently picked up from G&R Tactical).

It has the same excellent throw-lever found on other LaRue QD products and allows for the attachment of the headgear adapter, while on the weapon. To switch back and forth between head-mounted and weapon -mounted takes about 5 seconds.

Like all LT products, the construction is well thoughtout and first-class. It has hallows machined-in to make it lightweight in areas that take less weight-loads. It took me all of about 2 minutes from opening the bag to mounting it on the rail. Just slide it over the lens and tighten. The mount situates the PVS high enough to clear ARMS #40 BUIS, with about a nice 1/32" gap. The footprint allows the PVS to be mounted closer to sights like the 552, while still giving room to used the 552's control pad.

The LT mount allows positioning for left-handed control of the PVS' on/off dial and gain control. It also keeps the built-in illuminator orientated to the top-side of the weapon.

Stock mount.
Notice how the stock weapon mount's footprint is well-forward of the PVS...interfering with the 552's control pad. It uses the headgear adapter threads to mount the PVS to the weapon. There isn't enough room for most types of BUIS's.

Shown with the headgear adapter installed.

Right view

Left side, showing the perfect alighnment with the Eothing....work just as well with a cantilevered Aimpoint.

It is not in the way while headgear-mounted.

A couple of other useful views.

In short, great product! Excellent value for around $150 (GG&G's QD mount goes for around $250).

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 7:13:36 PM EDT by C4iGrant]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:28:09 PM EDT
You made an excellent post!

Very good pictures and information. One of the most useful write ups I've ever seen.

One question. Is the ring light enough that you don't get too much added weight? I run my 14 on the helmet quite a bit and it's naturally a bit of an awkward balance to begin with. I suspect it doesn't add much in negativity.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:39:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1001001:
You made an excellent post!

Very good pictures and information. One of the most useful write ups I've ever seen.

One question. Is the ring light enough that you don't get too much added weight? I run my 14 on the helmet quite a bit and it's naturally a bit of an awkward balance to begin with. I suspect it doesn't add much in negativity.

Thanks!

There is no perseptive weight at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:20:39 AM EDT
Thanks. I wondered how to use it with the helmet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:24:44 AM EDT
If only someone would trade me a PVS 14 for my left nut! But they want a kidney
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:18:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:33:10 PM EDT
I guess this is kind of off-topic, but where does one get a PVS-14 (and how much do they cost)? Your rifle looks awesome by the way!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:28:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:
I guess this is kind of off-topic, but where does one get a PVS-14 (and how much do they cost)? Your rifle looks awesome by the way!

The mount in available at G&R Tactical...Grant may also be able to find you a PVS-14 at a good price. If not, post a "WTB PVS-14" thread on the EE and you'll find a seller pretty quick. Always see if you can get a clear image of the tube (through the eyepiece).

Cost is variable on the quality (clarity, freedom of spots and blemishes). I'd budget $2500-$3000 for a good one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:22:10 PM EDT
Since the LT is attached to the focus ring is there enough adjustment?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:33:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By black556gun:

The way I have it shown, allows you to quickly focus by rotating the unit itself (if needed)

You can mount the frame on the locking ring (the one closest to the unit's main-body) if you want to focus the PVS by turning the front ring. It's kind of inconvenient to reach forward, and around.

Also, In order to use the Aimpont or EOTech, the focus needs to be set as "far away" as possible...or the reticle will be out of focus..
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 6:07:02 AM EDT by Victor]

Originally Posted By mfingar:

Originally Posted By black556gun:

The way I have it shown, allows you to quickly focus by rotating the unit itself (if needed)

You can mount the frame on the locking ring (the one closest to the unit's main-body) if you want to focus the PVS by turning the front ring. It's kind of inconvenient to reach forward, and around.

Also, In order to use the Aimpont or EOTech, the focus needs to be set as "far away" as possible...or the reticle will be out of focus..

Thanks for the pics....I wish I could take good pics like these!

A few questions...You mentioned you turn the body housing instead of the ring to focus? I find when using this technique by attaching the mount ring to the lens only...Under recoil, the housing always moves, thus getting me out of focus quickly. I use an ARMS #29 and have to bring the ring all the way back to the locking ring as you described to focus using the lens itself, but then you cannot use the helmet mount arm because the ring mount is too far back and blocks the helmet mount arm? It appears this is the case with the Larue as well?

The only issue/concern I have with ALL NV mounts that attach directly to the lens is my worry of a severe impact to the NV unit breaking off the lens from the body! While I've not heard of any first hand reports, this would be a VERY expensive fix, if fixable at all! LOT's of trade off's with all NV mounts, none of them do it all to my satisfaction, but they are getting close!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:03:38 AM EDT
Great pics and post.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:30:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Victor:

A few questions... none of them do it all to my satisfaction, but they are getting close!

Thanks.

My focus ring is really tight, tighter than the locking ring behind it...
If I were to commit to LOTs of sustained fire, I'd probably switch over to the head-mount for all the same concerns you stated. The LT mount helps me focus on the head mount as well...

I'm fortunate enough to work at an aerospace-engineering comapany with full CNC/EDM capabilities, and am in the process of building a better mousetrap as a "side project" for some of my guys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:31:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mfingar:

Originally Posted By Victor:

A few questions... none of them do it all to my satisfaction, but they are getting close!

Thanks.

My focus ring is really tight, tighter than the locking ring behind it...
If I were to commit to LOTs of sustained fire, I'd probably switch over to the head-mount for all the same concerns you stated. The LT mount helps me focus on the head mount as well...

I'm fortunate enough to work at an aerospace-engineering comapany with full CNC/EDM capabilities, and am in the process of building a better mousetrap as a "side project" for some of my guys.

Email/IM inbound!!
Top Top