Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2007 11:49:39 PM EDT
I've been thinking about one of the damned Aimpoint Magnifiers and I'm undecided on which type of mount I ought to be looking for.

Anyone play with both?  Any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards the fixed but wanted to tap the hive.

Thanks Much!
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the pivoting so that I could just swing it out of the way when not in use

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the pivot mount, and thank me later.

Although the fixed mount has QD throw levers, and is a great piece, the pivot mount is more versatile.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/AR/newpics001.jpg

+1

ALSO

are you going to up date to aimpoint or keep Po Boy

My GO TO LMT M4 has a L canti/ ML2 KAC RAS
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Switching between the 1x Aimpoint and 2.5x magnifier is fast. With a little practice it becomes second nature.

With the fixed mount, when you take it off, what are you going to do with it? Screw around with a pocket? Drop $200 on the ground?

I've used the Larue flipper (and Aimpoint ML3) at local rifle matches and at a rifle class. It's a pretty good combo for ranges from touch to 400 yards. BSW
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Switching between the 1x Aimpoint and 2.5x magnifier is fast. With a little practice it becomes second nature.

With the fixed mount, when you take it off, what are you going to do with it? Screw around with a pocket? Drop $200 on the ground?

I've used the Larue flipper (and Aimpoint ML3) at local rifle matches and at a rifle class. It's a pretty good combo for ranges from touch to 400 yards. BSW

So are you gonna keep that new magnifier you picked up?

How are you liking it?
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#6]

The LaRue LT-649 mount is like a fixed and pivot mount all-in-one, you could flip it or just remove it same as a QD fixed mount.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So are you gonna keep that new magnifier you picked up?

How are you liking it?

Don't have it yet. Damn holidays screwing up the mails...

I'll post a short comparason when I get it. BSW
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/C6721-LARUE-CANTIPIVOT-LH-R-P-MD.jpg

The LaRue LT-649 mount is like a fixed and pivot mount all-in-one, you could flip it or just remove it same as a QD fixed mount.

+1

JUST love your weapons
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/C6721-LARUE-CANTIPIVOT-LH-R-P-MD.jpg

How do you like it with the 4MOA dot?  Do you have any reservations about the larger dot?
(I ask as my only two Aimpoints are both 4MOA)
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

JUST love your weapons

Thanks FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you like it with the 4MOA dot?  Do you have any reservations about the larger dot?
(I ask as my only two Aimpoints are both 4MOA)

4 MOA dot is fine for my personal preference because I'm only using it in close or only up to 200 yds, at 200 the dot is only 8" well within the torso and getting a grouping of 4" to 6" center mass is normal for me.

Also somehow the magnifier is making the red dot slightly smaller but it could just be my imagination, I like to shoot with my magnifier now more than just my Aimpoint by itself.

For longer ranges I would rather use my other 3.5-12X Kahles optic.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both....I like the pivot much better.

Bomber
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

ALSO

are you going to up date to aimpoint or keep Po Boy

My GO TO LMT M4 has a L canti/ ML2 KAC RAS

keeping the PoBoy
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I want to get that exact setup for my M&P 15, except I will probably go for the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier. Who's got the best prices right now on Aimpoints?
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to get that exact setup for my M&P 15, except I will probably go for the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier. Who's got the best prices right now on Aimpoints?

LaRue when you buy it with his mount.  You ARE planning on getting it with his mount aren't you??

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LaRue when you buy it with his mount.  You ARE planning on getting it with his mount aren't you??

Of Course!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
What's the deal with this po-boy special they are running? Are these magnifiers any good?

Are there any other magnifiers besides the po-boy, or the aimpoint, or are those basically your only two options?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What's the deal with this po-boy special they are running? Are these magnifiers any good?

Are there any other magnifiers besides the po-boy, or the aimpoint, or are those basically your only two options?

The magnifiers with the Po' Boy special are used factory refurbished Hensoldt 2.5X German anti-tank rocket launcher optics, they're 25 mm diameter not as good as the 30 mm Aimpoint magnifier but at 1/10 the cost and no guarantees (as is condition).

LaRue only sells the Aimpoint and the used Hensoldt magnifiers but other magnifiers with 30 mm outer diameter or less should fit the LaRue pivot mount.

In my own opinion the LaRue pivot mount have the best design and quality in the market today.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The magnifiers with the Po' Boy special are used factory refurbished Hensoldt 2.5X German anti-tank rocket launcher optics, they're 25 mm diameter not as good as the 30 mm Aimpoint magnifier but at 1/10 the cost and no guarantees (as is condition).

LaRue only sells the Aimpoint and the used Hensoldt magnifiers but other magnifiers with 30 mm outer diameter or less should fit the LaRue pivot mount.

In my own opinion the LaRue pivot mount have the best design and quality in the market today.

If the po-boy is 25 mm diameter, does that mean that the mount they use for the po-boy special is not the regular 30 mm mount for the aimpoint 3x magnifier, or do they modify the body of the Hnsoldt optic to get it to fit or what? Or were you refering to the inner diameter being 25 mm?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Nevermind... It looks like they provide a ring for the Hensoldt to allow it to fit in the 30mm mount. I think I will do like some of the other guys on here and buy the po-boy and an aimpoint m3 and save for a aimpoint 3x for later.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the po-boy is 25 mm diameter, does that mean that the mount they use for the po-boy special is not the regular 30 mm mount for the aimpoint 3x magnifier, or do they modify the body of the Hnsoldt optic to get it to fit or what? Or were you refering to the inner diameter being 25 mm?

A LaRue Tactical ring inserts LT-136 which are 2 pc. ring half inserts converts any LaRue 30mm ring to 1" ring, are included with the combo deal.

The Hensoldt magnifiers have a 25mm (1") outside diameter body, LaRue pivot mounts have 30 mm ring and the ring inserts are required for proper installation.

LaRue Tactical Ring Inserts LT-136 website link
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Nevermind... It looks like they provide a ring for the Hensoldt to allow it to fit in the 30mm mount. I think I will do like some of the other guys on here and buy the po-boy and an aimpoint m3 and save for a aimpoint 3x for later.

You beat me to the answer by a few minutes.

The Po' Boy special is a great deal and they only have a limited amount in stock, when they're gone they're gone for good.

That's the same thing I did, instead of buying a 3X magnifier I'll use the money on my SPR match barrel for my build project and I'll get the magnifier later after my project is done.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#23]
On a related note, anybody have any experience with the Wilson Combat flip up sights? Are they any better / worse than Troy? Just trying to decide between the two before I order.

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
On a related note, anybody have any experience with the Wilson Combat flip up sights? Are they any better / worse than Troy? Just trying to decide between the two before I order.

www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/TR-FURS2K.jpg

Two completely different animals.  One's an A1, the other an A2.

If you think that you'll ever use the windage & elevation, get the Wilson.

If you think that you'll just "set it & forget it", get the Troy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/TR-FURS2K.jpg

Two completely different animals.  One's an A1, the other an A2.

If you think that you'll ever use the windage & elevation, get the Wilson.

If you think that you'll just "set it & forget it", get the Troy.

Or if you want a fixed BUIS, get the... wait for it... wait for it... Larue.

BSW
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Po' Boy special is a great deal and they only have a limited amount in stock, when they're gone they're gone for good.

That's the same thing I did, instead of buying a 3X magnifier I'll use the money on my SPR match barrel for my build project and I'll get the magnifier later after my project is done.

I hinted to everyone I wanted for CHRISTMAS!

If they have them after the holidays maybe I might get lucky

it would fit nice behind my ML2 4moa dot with Larue cantilever
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last Christmas I got a tactical light with a built in laser, I don't know what I'm getting this year.

Cross your fingers and hope you get it, the pivot mount is slick, very easy to operate, just pull back a little on the magnifier and push it to the side, no levers to fumble with.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:00:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last Christmas I got a tactical light with a built in laser, I don't know what I'm getting this year.

Cross your fingers and hope you get it, the pivot mount is slick, very easy to operate, just pull back a little on the magnifier and push it to the side, no levers to fumble with.

You are Lucky Rudy

Ill get my fingers crossed
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are Lucky Rudy

I couldn't take it anymore all this talk about christmas ................. I placed an order for my christmans present just a minute ago m3 cant mount and a po boy special  glad somebody loves me
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are Lucky Rudy

I couldn't take it anymore all this talk about christmas ................. I placed an order for my christmans present just a minute ago m3 cant mount and a po boy special  glad somebody loves me

I'm preparing to do the very same.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#31]
When you have the Aimpoint 3x magnifier pivoted to the side of the rifle with the ejection port, is that all right? No problem with cases or gas out the port?
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are Lucky Rudy

Man I do want a aimpoint magnifier for my Old Aimpoint ML2 with 4 moa dot
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
When you have the Aimpoint 3x magnifier pivoted to the side of the rifle with the ejection port, is that all right? No problem with cases or gas out the port?

No problem with cases or gas at all, plenty of clearance.

The magnifier is still about a half inch above the top of the rail but about one inch to the right side and about an inch above the cases ejection path.

The gas ports of the bolt carrier doesn't even line up with the magnifier, the gas ports are forward of the front of the magnifier, about an inch below the magnifier.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#34]
not to hijack... but what is the eye relief like on a 3x mag?  i have a 4moa ml3 in a tall regular mount, and am looking at a 3x, but might have to get a cant. mount for the scope to mount the mag. far enough forward... any ideas
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top