Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:35:56 AM EDT
While I have handled other owner's LWRCs I have never taken one apart.

My question is simple and in no way is it meant to start a flame war.

How easily does the gas piston system tear down for cleaning.

My Sig 516 is very easy (Simply unscrew the adjustment nut and out comes the entire piston and op rod)

The PWS is as simple as removing the BCG the normal way a DI is.
It has the entire op rod attached to the BCG so once out it requires a quick wipe off and maybe a swab into the gas cylinder.

The FNH-FS2000 like wise is a very easy to clean and get back into service gun and I give high marks to all three for ease of cleaning and maintenance.

I like the M6A2 SPR it looks like a great gun and something along the lines of the PWS in weight and balance and I admit I am interested.

But, I also noticed there does not seem to be a visible means of getting to the piston.
Perhaps my ignorance shows all too well and I cure that with your shared experience.

Is the strip down of the M6A2 type a fast easy job or is there more involved than the above guns and if so is there a benefit to the way LWRC engineers that gas system???

I appreciate the response as I prefer to know before hand what to expect.

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:43:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2012 9:48:36 AM EDT by AJFB004]
It's super easy, undo the capture screws on the upper rail ...they are just thumb tight. Grab the middle section and press straight to the rear and lift it out. The cup is self scraping so it stays relatively clean

Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vg5wEKN26w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:50:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AJFB004:
It's super easy, undo the capture screws on the upper rail ...they are just thumb tight. Grab the middle section and press straight to the rear and lift it out. The cup is self scraping so it stays relatively clean

So it is a fast easy way as well??
That sounds good but I am not quite clear.
Does the rail come off exposing the gas system which then comes apart??? (This is now more curiosity as you seemed to answer my concern and confirm it too is a fast procedure)
Thanks

Wulfmann

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:57:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:
Originally Posted By AJFB004:

So it is a fast easy way as well??
That sounds good but I am not quite clear.
Does the rail come off exposing the gas system which then comes apart??? (This is now more curiosity as you seemed to answer my concern and confirm it too is a fast procedure)
Thanks

Wulfmann

Watch the video, the guy has his accesesories off and the piston disassembled by the 30 second mark in the video. He is also explaining things as he goes so it could have been quicker.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:28:34 AM EDT
[As stated] Two hand-tight bolts and the upper rail come off...the piston cup/rod/spring is then exposed. You hold the cup (forward) and pull the rod back; it clears the cup and you pull it forward/up/out. Done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:43:57 AM EDT
Yep, that. Although it usually takes me a second to remember, because I've only had the top rail off and the piston disassembled about 3 times since I started buying LWRC rifles. There never seems to be anything to clean, and I don't worry about the fuzz and dust. Kinda like Fonzie starting to comb his hair....take the cover off and pull the piston, look at it for a minute....then put it back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:14:38 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies.
My main concern was my ignorance.
I hate to assume anything and later wished I had asked.

This way i know it is also built for easy maintenance.

I will see my FFL this weekend and get his SPR price to see if he can beat Northern Tactical.
He is listed as an LWRC dealer on their site.

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:30:13 PM EDT
Just in case you haven't already talked to 'em, it's Northwest Tactical that is a popular dealer. Might be just a typo in your post, but I don't know who you might end up talking too if you google up a number for a Northern Tac. Matt and Marcy at NorthWEST Tactical are good people, though. :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:17:46 PM EDT
Thanks,
I was half referring to Northern Firearms where I bought my Sig516 so may well have tried to find Northern Tactical instead of Northwest Tactical

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:40:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nineisfine:
Just in case you haven't already talked to 'em, it's Northwest Tactical that is a popular dealer. Might be just a typo in your post, but I don't know who you might end up talking too if you google up a number for a Northern Tac. Matt and Marcy at NorthWEST Tactical are good people, though. :)

I'll 2nd M&M@NWT...good prices, great CS.
Top Top