Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 11:53:33 AM EDT
I'm shopping for a mount for my Aimpoint ML3 scope. So far I am considering the LaRue LT150 or the KAC Aimpoint mount. I'm seeking opinions and advice on each, or another recommendation. I am leaning away from cantilever mounts as they limit my options for BUIS or maximum rearward placement of the scope. Discuss.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats wrong with cantilever mounts? They give you MORE space for a BUIS.

LaRue is the BEST mount currently on the market. Other manufacturers make a serviceable mount, and those that have them might as well keep them, but if you are new to the game, might as well buy the best kit first--the price is the same.

I like cantilever mounts because I can put the Aimpoint right over the chamber. However LaRues new cantilever design is backordered, so I have to wait a while.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am leaning away from cantilever mounts as they limit my options for BUIS or maximum rearward placement of the scope.

err...what?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am leaning away from cantilever mounts as they limit my options for BUIS or maximum rearward placement of the scope.

err...what?

In the top photo of a straight mount, the BUIS could fit underneath the scope when folded.  
In the bottom photo of the cantilever mount, the BUIS must fit behind the scope. So the cantilever setup cannot be as far back towards the charging handle as the straight mounted setup.

Maybe it's no big deal. I have been shooting with an ACOG and I am anticipating the need to adjust eye relief to my preference. But the Aimpoint has "unlimited" eye relief and so maybe there is no advantage of one mount over the other. That's what I am trying to determine. I'll have the Aimpoint in about a week and I'll wait until then before I order a mount for it.

* Photos copyright by their respective owners: MSTN above; Troy Industries below.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got my LT150 directly from LaRue yesterday, and I absolutly love it in terms of function and looks.  Plus they threw in a free hat and survival tool, all for the amazing low price of $120.  

Thanks Mark & Ellen LaRue.  You Rock!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I see what you're getting at now...your just "stuck on ACOG"...the Aimpoint actually works better the further out that it's mounted.

Don't worry about "eye relief" with the Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks blackjack333. I'd be interested to know your recommendation for a mount.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
There are quite a few threads regarding this topic, try a quick search to get opinions from others as well as this has been discussed many times before. But since you asked, here's my two cents..

I'd say to wait up and get the "new" version of the Larue cantilever mount with the locking lever. Hopefully they'll be out soon

If you can't wait, the KAC, PRI, or ARMS will all serve you well. You can also try your hand at "hunting" on the EE for a used LT mount.

Basically it all comes down to two things...

1. what your intended use is, Haji-huntin' duty weapon, range shooter or safe Queen.

2. how much $$ you are willing to spend on a mount.

I've used KAC's and ARM's mounts for quite awhile, no problems with either brand of those Aimpoint mounts. Be aware of the methods of construction of the mounts you are considering, MIM'd, screwed together parts or CNC'd billet. CNC'd billet beats MIM any day, but usually at a cost.
I've yet to have a problem with any ARM's mount that was "properly" put together i.e. Loctite...that's MY experience, but I have seen instances of failures with MIM'd throw levers.

YMMV, remember the old saying..."you usually get what you pay for"

HTH
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really need the optic that far back, you can use the cantilever mount backwards.

If you want, I have a 1st Gen LaRue cantilever mount that you can borrow to see if it meets your needs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the generous offer Vinh. I don't really know how far back I want the scope so I'll just experiment with it when it arrives. By then I should have it figured out.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top