Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 4/19/2007 7:14:45 AM EDT
Just curious about how it does for reliability if it is run hard for a day or two. Mine is great and I havent had a single hiccup of any sort but I havent run it hard. I was reading another thread where an Armalite AR10 carbine started to experience problems when it got hot. I'm curious if the DPMS will as well.

I know I could just test it myself but my little barrel is such a tack driver I'd hate to play games with it like that. Not to mention the ammo is getting spendy. Anyhow I'm just curious. I wonder if the 308 can get 1500+ rounds without cleaning? Is it worthy of becoming a SHTF rifle or should I merely consider it a nice range/hunting gun?

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:37:07 AM EDT
You send me the ammo and i'd be happy to test it for you.

The most I have done is 7 full mags as fast as I can pull the trigger. The barrel was smoking, I burned my finger, and I had to wait 20 minutes to put it in the car because I was worried it would ignite the interior.

In my opinion, that's pretty SHTF proof. If I was in a running gun battle, I certainly wouldn't have time to reload. I'd drop it and grab my other Ar-15.

You guys are too hung up on perfect reliability. I was a machine gunner in the corps, and machine guns, designed to run cyclic, will fail from time to time. Actually, I broke M-60's alot, and I was known to break a 240G as well. And the 240G was the finest light MG I ever handled.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:44:00 AM EDT
I've been known to down an M60 myself, still consider it as my dream gun to own.

I am obsessed with perfect reliability, I'll admit that. After a little tweaking I got my FAL there and prefer that all my rifles are reliable.

I know that one guy's experience will not be a reflection of how MY gun will perform but if there were a bunch of guys with good/bad experience it would be reasonable to draw general conclusions.
Top Top