Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 7:14:45 AM EDT
Just curious about how it does for reliability if it is run hard for a day or two.   Mine is great and I havent had a single hiccup of any sort but I havent run it hard.   I was reading another thread where an Armalite AR10 carbine started to experience problems when it got hot.   I'm curious if the DPMS will as well.    

I know I could just test it myself but my little barrel is such a tack driver I'd hate to play games with it like that.   Not to mention the ammo is getting spendy.   Anyhow I'm just curious.   I wonder if the 308 can get 1500+ rounds without cleaning?   Is it worthy of becoming a SHTF rifle or should I merely consider it a nice range/hunting gun?  

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You send me the ammo and i'd be happy to test it for you.

The most I have done is 7 full mags as fast as I can pull the trigger. The barrel was smoking, I burned my finger, and I had to wait 20 minutes to put it in the car because I was worried it would ignite the interior.

In my opinion, that's pretty SHTF proof. If I was in a running gun battle, I certainly wouldn't have time to reload. I'd drop it and grab my other Ar-15.

You guys are too hung up on perfect reliability. I was a machine gunner in the corps, and machine guns, designed to run cyclic, will fail from time to time. Actually, I broke M-60's alot, and I was known to break a 240G as well. And the 240G was the finest light MG I ever handled.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been known to down an M60 myself, still consider it as my dream gun to own.  

I am obsessed with perfect reliability, I'll admit that.  After a little tweaking I got my FAL there and prefer that all my rifles are reliable.

I know that one guy's experience will not be a reflection of how MY gun will perform but if there were a bunch of guys with good/bad experience it would be reasonable to draw general conclusions.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top