Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 4:38:39 AM EDT
I'm new to this forum and I want to do my first AR build as a varmint rifle. Is buying a full rifle kit the most economical way for me to do it? I've found decent looking kits at J&T, M&A, and Model 1. From what I've read on here some people don't care for Model 1. Anyone know of other companies offering varmint rifle kits that won't break the bank? Also, will any of these kits offer better accuracy than the others? Right now I'm leaning towards a J&T kit because of what guys on here have to say about their quality and J&T's customer service. If I go with one of their kits, would you recommend that I buy a matching Doublestar lower? Will the Doublestar lower have a better fit than lowers from other manufacturers? I like the looks of the Superior Arms lowers and would consider one of those as well. After this build I'm planning on building up my old Preban Eagle Arms. Thanks for the input for a newbie. Whipper
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone on here is using a J&T bull barrel upper with very good luck. Lower wont matter much, do the double star or superior arms as you see fit. Rather then say "break the bank", it might help if you give us a solid figure. Are you looking for spend 300 on an upper? 600 on an upper? 600 for the entire build?

I built my own, and dont think I'll ever buy a premade upper unless its something a bit oddball like a 6.8 or 6.5 etc etc. Had I not built my own I would have bought a Match Rifle upper from White Oak Armament. I would have come out a bit ahead had I bought the WOA upper, but I feel mine is of a better quality due to my barrel selection so I dont feel like I made a bad decision.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#3]
i have had great luck with my 20" jt varmint kit.

as for the lower it is just there to house parts, pick which ever makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
you might want to check out the Oly k-8 upper
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i absolutely love my M1S heavy barrel      but if you plan on buying a kit from them  just make sure you purchase a differnt lower parts kit   as theres   SUX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top