Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:49:20 AM EDT
I have herd that they are all mill spec. How well do their uppers compare in Quallity and reliability?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
LMT owners any complaints?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm on my first LMT 16" upper and my overall fit/finish impression is that it is an excellent piece.
The fit/finish seemed to rival that of my brother's Colt LE6920 and was above and beyond the call of beauty as compared to my Bushmaster 20" Hbar.

That is, however, asthetics  and asthetics alone, and not function.

An LMT bolt/carrier group is on it's way and will reach my doorstep by this thursday as well as my LaRue Aimpoint mount.  Further testing will be conducted this friday.

I have run the upper with a bolt/carrier group from Fulton Armory for it's initial zero/break-in range trip and had two malfunctions within 120 rounds of rapid fire (this upper will be my piece that I take to classes) that was meant to wring her out.  

The first malfunction was a light primer strike and is not attributed to the upper with the second as a double feed, which was due in part to a magazine that seems to choke on rapid/hot fire.

-Jim
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an LMT MRP rifle length upper sitting on a PWA lower, with LMT enhanced bolt inside LMT standard carrier.  Took it out to the range last week and it was FLAWLESS.  I was thrilled with the style and craftsmanship, and now I'm equally impressed with the function.  Of course, it's still early, but all signs are excellent.  And this is shooting el-cheapo South African surplus ammo that I bought for $42 for a 300-rd battle pack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Working on 7k+ rounds through my 10.5". Most on full auto, 2-3 rd bursts. Not a malf in sight. This is truely a sweet piece, and the reduced ROF on auto makes it super easy to put bursts on target at <25y.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Grant,

I purchased an LMT bolt/carrier group from you this weekend.  Actually, I placed the order with your wife, Roxanne.  

Well, that didn't have anything to do with the thread.  

What I meant to ask is, how do you like the LMT SOPMOD stock compared to the VLTORs?  I have two VLTORs and like them, but don't love them.  No matter what position I put them in, it's either too short or too long.  Perhaps I need a rubber buttpad.  OR I could go for the LMT SOPMOD, as it is longer in length.  Might be the ticket.

BTW, do you get the LaRue BUISs in?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Zero problems so far.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I am running a RP with a 10.5 and 14.5 barrel with the enhanced bolt and standard carrier and have not any problems with 55 grain ammo nor any other type of problems with it.  I also have a standard 14.5 upper and have had no problems in it but only have about 1000 rds in it so far the MRP has about 5K down it.  Overall I a very pleased with them.  My department just bought 2 10.5 complete guns and they both work like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
LMT 14.5 with LMT enhanced bolt and standard carrier here.   100% flawless functioning, I use 55gr Q3131A.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah, i ran out of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Have an LMT 10.5 upper that I've only put about 600 rds through. Very impressed with fit and finish and quality seems to be just as good as my Colt upper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a whole list of complaints I could come up with:
(crickets chirping)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The only complaint I've heard others have about LMT is that it doesn't say 'Colt' anywhere on the outside of the box it comes in (thus saving you a few hundred $$$).
Personally, I have no complaints with mine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a lmt upper and barrel from Adco.  Upon receipt the upper had numerous scuffs and some bare metal showing.  The anodized finish on the upper was very rough and appeared to be of varying thicknesses at different areas.  There are two cuts into the rail, which were anodized over.  The brass deflector has nicks as does the area around the forward assist.  In general it appears to be a rough product.  The barrel also has numerous bare metal marks showing through the parkerized finish.  I have contacted Adco who referred me to LMT.  I do not, and am not implying any problems with ADCO, as steve said "thats an lmt,"  all of the ones he has are like that.  I have contacted LMT and believe the situation will be resolved.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I bought a lmt upper and barrel from Adco.  Upon receipt the upper had numerous scuffs and some bare metal showing.  The anodized finish on the upper was very rough and appeared to be of varying thicknesses at different areas.  There are two cuts into the rail, which were anodized over.  The brass deflector has nicks as does the area around the forward assist.  In general it appears to be a rough product.  The barrel also has numerous bare metal marks showing through the parkerized finish.  I have contacted Adco who referred me to LMT.  I do not, and am not implying any problems with ADCO, as steve said "thats an lmt,"  all of the ones he has are like that.  I have contacted LMT and believe the situation will be resolved.  

I was thinking of going "no-ban" on my Bushy with an LMT upper, but THAT's not very reassuring to hear.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Ghost

If you bought it from ADCO and were unhappy with it. I think ADCO should take care of you as a ADCO customer. Not refer you to the manufacturer. No customer service on the part of ADCO at all. Unless you bought it from LMT you should not have to deal with LMT.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]
There's a great write up on LMT Monolithic Uppers in the latest SWAT magazine.  It was written by Pat Rogers who knows a thing or two about weapons, and has personal experience behind an MRP.

It might be worth the read if you are thinking about an MRP.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
My MRP runs great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
gsd2053. I don't completely disagree with you.  However, Steve at ADCO was always good to deal with.  I even completed a trade to get what I got.  But I do see your point.  I will wait and see what LMT has to say tomorrow.  If there reputation for good customer service is correct, then it should be squared away.  WE SHALL SEE.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope you get the service you deserve from LMT. That you should have got from ADCO.

Good luck Let us know
Bill  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We dealers (as middle men) are often trapped between the manufacturer and the customer. Since we do not make most or ANY of the parts we sell, we have to rely on the manufacturer to fix problems. That is why we (like ADCO has done) have you contact the company directly. Were just going to do the same thing anyway so it saves time for you (the customer) to send the item back directly....
C4

I think it would make sense that you as dealers would look at a product that you received from a manufacturer and say, Hey this looks like crap, I don't want to sell this to my customers, take it back. Why pass the buck onto the customer when the problem originated at the factory.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mine functions perfectly....

So long as I use 62gr SS109 or M855PD.

Soon to be parted out.....

Over on TF I read that the enhanced bolt is designed to work with 62gr. If you use 55gr a standard bolt is needed. Could this be the issue?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine functions perfectly....

So long as I use 62gr SS109 or M855PD.

Soon to be parted out.....

Over on TF I read that the enhanced bolt is designed to work with 62gr. If you use 55gr a standard bolt is needed. Could this be the issue?

I read the same thread (Chip at LMT) but that really doesn't make any sense.

Must be some dimension that's out of spec and slipping through QC.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We dealers (as middle men) are often trapped between the manufacturer and the customer. Since we do not make most or ANY of the parts we sell, we have to rely on the manufacturer to fix problems. That is why we (like ADCO has done) have you contact the company directly. Were just going to do the same thing anyway so it saves time for you (the customer) to send the item back directly....
C4

I think it would make sense that you as dealers would look at a product that you received from a manufacturer and say, Hey this looks like crap, I don't want to sell this to my customers, take it back. Why pass the buck onto the customer when the problem originated at the factory.

Larry

Some aren't too picky, like me
just gimme something that works
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#29]
No LMT or T markings, only functions at 95% when fired dry. Other than that, its a champ.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I've seen several uppers that have bad marks on the sides from the clamp-style vise blocks used during barrel installation.   Reliability however was 100%.   These are work trucks, not Silverados or Eddie Bauers.    Issues for some, others won't care.    
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I received an e-mail from LMT this morning.  The upper is going back for evaluation and repair or replacement as evaluated.  The marks on the barrel do appear to be from installation.  But not sure about the bare metal marks on the upper.   As stated before, some wouldn't care.  But I paid for quality and appearance is part of that.  Grant, you made a good point, sometimes things slip through.  As stated I can't complain about ADCO they treated me good on a trade.  But I also agree why put something out that has  fit and finish issues.   I feel alot more confident that LMT will at least take the time to check out the upper and possibly make it right.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've seen several uppers that have bad marks on the sides from the clamp-style vise blocks used during barrel installation.   Reliability however was 100%.   These are work trucks, not Silverados or Eddie Bauers.    Issues for some, others won't care.    

+1

Although I have to admit.  Grant sent me an LMT in impeccable condition.  But, I have already managed to get her scratched up a bit.

These rifles are tools, and meant to be used not looked at as a painting on a wall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm not that picky either and I meant no offense by my statment, but new is new, and it should look like that when you buy it.

I just bought a new shirt, it had a hole in it, but that's OK because it's work shirt. Good logic.

This ain't no scratch and dent sale.

Larry

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I agree these are work guns.  This will be carried for patrol duty.  But as thezman said, it ain't no scratch and dent sale.  If you could see the top rail of this upper you would understand.  A dent, scratch or scuff that I put on the gun is my problem.  The gun shouldn't come that way.  I will update when the situation is resolved.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#38]
My only gripe would be that they don't boresight their uppers. It wouldn't be an issue I guess, except the one that I got was shooting way to the right at mechanical zero.

BM learned this lesson the hard way, and now I guess they laser them all.

Other than that, seems to be good stuff. Finish on mine looked as good as I could ask for.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#39]
My 2 complaints on my LMT 14.5 M4:

- It's too accurate.

-It doesn't malfunction.

Oh well, that's what I get for switching to LMT from BFI. Worth every penny.

Scratches?? It's a PDW..not a Midas grade Citori!

" If it's not scratched, you haven't trained enough."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm not that picky either and I meant no offense by my statment, but new is new, and it should look like that when you buy it.

I just bought a new shirt, it had a hole in it, but that's OK because it's work shirt. Good logic.

This ain't no scratch and dent sale.

Larry

Exactly!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I have one compliant against LMT Uppers.................

I dont have one!

Hopefully that will change soon!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]

lrbillb
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Pics of my end-of-ban celebration LMT upper....sigh

Needless to say - not much of a celebration.  Purchased from a well known vendor on this board (not naming any names)

FSB doesn't seat fully on bbl
FSB pins only go about 2/3-3/4 way through the FSB
FSB chewed to hell

lrbillb

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/lrbillb/DSC00117.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/lrbillb/DSC00117.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/lrbillb/DSC00116.jpg
lrbillbimg.photobucket.com/albums/v487/lrbillb/DSC00116.jpg

Bummer! I imagine that the problems with the FSB are associated with who ever put the free float on. It doesnt look like it will take much to get her fixed. I hope that was an isolated incedent!

Quoted:
I just bought a new shirt, it had a hole in it, but that's OK because it's work shirt. Good logic

Granted these guns are tools and cosmetic appeal has nothing to do with preformance, but I wouldn't pay for a shirt with a hole in it, if I could get a shirt with no holes for the same price. (Work shirt or not)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, that looks like $h!t.  Did a trained chimp install that FSB with a claw hammer and a monkey wrench?  Get a punch and some Alumiblack and you'll be fine.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needless to say - not much of a celebration.  Purchased from a well known vendor on this board (not naming any names)

FSB chewed to hell

lrbillb

Bummer! I imagine that the problems with the FSB are associated with who ever put the free float on. It doesnt look like it will take much to get her fixed. I hope that was an isolated incedent!

Quoted:
I just bought a new shirt, it had a hole in it, but that's OK because it's work shirt. Good logic

Granted these guns are tools and cosmetic appeal has nothing to do with preformance, but I wouldn't pay for a shirt with a hole in it, if I could get a shirt with no holes for the same price. (Work shirt or not)

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
OTHER THAN ONE 10.5" UPPER, ALL I HAVE ARE SOLD. NO MORE IN SIGHT FOR SOME TIME, I AM AFRAID.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Wes, email sent on that last 10.5 if you still got it.  I want it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

FSB chewed to hell

lrbillb

Come on guy if your claim (and photos) are just, by all means NAME NAMES!!!

That is absolutely horrendous and anyone peddling a product like that should be run out of Town (the Net) on a rail!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Come on guy if your claim (and photos) are just, by all means NAME NAMES!!!
That is absolutely horrendous and anyone peddling a product like that should be run out of Town (the Net) on a rail!

agreed, save someone else from the heartache of paying for some bullshit work like that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#49]

YOU MEAN THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE WHO USE THOSE ACTION VISE JAWS ??

What IS the proper tool if I might ask? I seem to remember seeing some type of FSB fixture, maybe from Brownell's.

I'd like to know who built that munged up upper, it looks like crap.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top