Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 12:24:16 AM EDT
I noticed some differences in bolt carriers on CMT, Bushmaster, and Armalite. I thought some of you would be interested to see so I thought  I'd share it with you.

1.) The Armalite is not as smooth as the BM and has more metal cut out (near the firing pin and rear), and also has pat# ... on the top/back side

2.) The CMT has a grainy/matte (having a rough or granular surface) look and feel to it.

3.) The Bushmaster Has a glossy/smoothen texture and has more metal toward the bottom/back The Armalite is not as smooth as the BM and has more
metal cut out (near the firing pin and rear)

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Of all of them, the LMT staking at the carrier key screws looks to be the worst, and Bushmaster has the rep for loose keys......................go figure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure the middle one is a LMT?

I have 3 LMT's that I purchased and none of them have that rough finish. Also none of mine are staked like yours. They are staked with a square on each side much like the armalite you show.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
My CMMG carrier is the same as the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
As for the staking, people in the recent staking thread have posted pics of CMMG carriers that look like that LMT, I posted pics of my CMT that looks like that LMT, and someone else posted pics of their CMT that look just like that Bushmaster (or any other properly staked carrier).

This crap gets confusing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
For the sake of higher learning, could someone tell me what im supposed to be looking for in a properly staked key and an improper staked key on those pics?

i need to learn.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an LMT upper from Bravo Company, and a bolt carrier was included, I assumed it was a LMT but it was in fact a CMT. Paul took a look at this thread and contacted me to correct the post and to correct the mix up, I'm glad he found this thread.

I'm so sorry for all the confusion guys, I'll IM the ones who posted hear marked please reevaluate this post (with the link http://.....  

Paul (Bravo Company) is really great, and this mix up wont stop me from buying from him!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha.  

Now, if we can just sort out the confusion in the other threads.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For the sake of higher learning, could someone tell me what im supposed to be looking for in a properly staked key and an improper staked key on those pics?

i need to learn.

thanks

Roll that material over the screw heads' radius, so as to restrict its' movement of unscrewing.

Fella I work with just bought a new Bushmaster, so I took and used  my inch-pound beam wrench on the screws, they broke away at approx 20-25 inch-pound....  re-torqued to 50 in-lb, and staked for him in 3 places, they aint going anywhere.

This what a decent job should look like -

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i need to learn.

thanks

Roll that material over the screw heads' radius, so as to restrict its' movement of unscrewing.

Fella I work with just bought a new Bushmaster, so I took and used  my inch-pound beam wrench on the screws, they broke away at approx 20-25 inch-pound....  re-torqued to 50 in-lb, and staked for him in 3 places, they aint going anywhere.

This what a decent job should look like -

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/carrierstake2.jpg

Sorry, but that 'aint a Bushie.  Bushmaster keys are staked at 3 and 9 o'clock in the view provided in your picture.  Plus, spec is 35-40 inch pounds.  50 is overtorqued.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]

I noticed some differences in bolt carriers on LMT, Bushmaster, and Armalite. I thought some of you would be interested to see so I thought I'd share it with you.

Says LMT but pictures CMT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i need to learn.

thanks

Tweak's Key-staking tutorial. A must read

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info guys, FINALLY i know what staking is. :)

Craig
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I dont't think that is a CMT Carrier
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sorry, but that 'aint a Bushie.  Bushmaster keys are staked at 3 and 9 o'clock in the view provided in your picture.  Plus, spec is 35-40 inch pounds.  50 is overtorqued.

You are correct about the missing Bushmaster,  his is recent,  that pic is aged already.  Those is my 3  bolt-carrier assemblies in the pic.

Sorry for the confusion.    
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I noticed some differences in bolt carriers on LMT, Bushmaster, and Armalite. I thought some of you would be interested to see so I thought I'd share it with you.

Says LMT but pictures CMT

Sorry buddy, got it fix now. I forgot to change it when I changed the pix and 1.) 2.) 3.)

If only the makers would stamp/in grave/mark there parts somehow to free up confusion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#22]
LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]
i purchased a CMT BCG and got a smooth carrier but had problems with the cam pin not clearing the Key.  It was quickly replaced by the vendor.  The new carrier had a rough finish or coating and the bolt itself was a much blacker finish all over.  The entireBCG seems to be much better machined but i'm not sure what i have.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I am pretty sure that CMT makes bolt carriers, I have heard from a pretrty reliable source that they do
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am pretty sure that CMT makes bolt carriers, I have heard from a pretrty reliable source that they do

+1 for CMT i have a CMT upper rec, BCG and they work flawlessly and just as good as colt /RRA/BM actually better

usmc5593
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I recently purchased a CMT MPd M16 BCG that looks identical to the M16 BCG Paul posted a few spots up-very dark and smooth.  It almost appears as though it was not parked, but had some other finish applied.  What's the deal, is this a durable finish?   I ask because  I haven't gotten a chance to really inspect it, nor have I used it yet.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If it is a CMT BCG it is definately parkerized.  (Specifically Manganese Phosphate would be my guess.)
I don't think they offer it any other way.

The JTac pic I used is also parkerized.  The parkerized finish won't have anyting to do with the texture of the product.  The park will be durable.

Thanks, Paul.  I figured it was just a different color/texture than I was used to, since I've never been disappointed with CMT after using various parts of theirs for years now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#30]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top