BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2005 5:32:31 AM EDT
THIS IS NOT FACT...., BUT !!

a friend told me that the LMT uppers are so out of spec. that L-W can NOT convert them with any gurantee they will be right. so if you have an LMT upper, forget about it being converted or expect it to cost more as they need some work BEFORE the conversion, i have no personal experience with LMT, so i have NO info about their quality, all my ARs are Colt & Bushmaster.

added red no !!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Converted to what?

I have two LMT M4 complete upper halves and they are every bit as "in spec" as my Colt or Bushmaster uppers costing hundreds more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd slap that "friend" if I were you......................

FWIW, I have NOT found a flaw or out-of-spec problem at all with my LMT M4 upper.

Mike

ps - if your bucking for status, your well on your way in my book.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
converted  

i thought they attached to lowers using the two pins just like any other upper  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
On another thread the the LMT FSB were slightly off and req'd work before L-W would do a conversion, so not out of spec maybe a little QC problem.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you mean converted to MORMONISM?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you mean converted to MORMONISM?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
He's talking about the Leitner-Wise Piston Upper conversion.  His "friend" is 48thHighlander:

Originally Posted By 48thHighlander
I have found my FSB is canted on my 10.5" Upper. This is really not an issue that most people will ever notice, however, I just spoke to Paul Leitner Wise and he said all of the LMT uppers he has received for conversion have canted FSB's which causes piston bind with the gas piston conversion and they cannot be converted without an unreasonable amount of gunsmithing.

Any of you guys see that with your LMT's or is this a recent phenomenon?

Here's the thread where 48thHighlander said this.  Let's see these canted FSB's I keep hearing about.  Mine, for one, is fine.  Since people posting here haven't had the greatest grasp on rational solutions, let me suggest that people start calling LMT or the dealer who sold them the LMT IF they have a canted FSB.  A canted FSB is NOT okay with me, so if I buy an upper with one it is going back.  If you don't mind and DON'T take action to correct it, it stands to reason that you shouldn't complain about LMT as they haven't had a chance to correct it.  Even the top tier manufacturers send out a lemon now and then, so if you get one you can either cry about it on the internet or you can get it replaced.  If the manufacterer gives you a hard time about it, then you have reason to complain.  As for the Leitner-Wise conversion process and their experience with LMT, I have no reason to question their experience.  They are probably spot on.  (It is worth noting that they are releasing a competitor to LMT's MRP, and I certainly wouldn't ask Pepsi what they think of Coke, would you?)  This is not to flame 48thHighlander or L-W.  From our limited contact, 48 seems like a nice guy and L-W have cool products and a nice staff.  Outside 48thHighlander's personal experience with his 10.5" Upper, there is a lot of  unsubstantiated, second-hand information being thrown around.  A responsible, rational post in an area that's bound to start a shitstorm should include some evidence and a reasonable solution, not add fuel to people who bag on Product or Brand XYZ.

(Edited 1,000 times.)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Buttpad's name on www.asspiratesfromhell.com is Buttplug.  He's a transexual who is unsure of whether he has made the right life-choice.  He has gone through with the operation and hormone treatments, but now that he has "woman parts," he wants to wear men's and little boy's clothes.  I'm not sure what he term for this problem is, but it is a problem.  

I also heard that his "man parts" were out of spec and they couldn't do the "conversion" until they sewed shut his gaping asshole.  

Why do you stupid fuckers have to find some stupid-ass statement from some dipshit's thread and then go and start a whole new thread to stir up shit?  

Go back to the Counterstrike forums if you want to spew gun gibberish out of your ass!!

Fucking
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Buttplug-

Why do you stupid fuckers have to find some stupid-ass statement from some dipshit's thread and then go and start a whole new thread to stir up shit?  

Go back to the Counterstrike forums if you want to spew gun gibberish out of your ass!!

Fucking

You are taking this a bit personal.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]
So you all(well not all buit most of you) missed the part about if you want yer LMT upper converted by LW to thier piston gas system.

a friend told me that the LMT uppers are so out of spec. that L-W can NOT convert them with any gurantee they will be right.

Thats all he was saying he was told.

As we know though it's probably just "talk" by somone who just doesn't know.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
yes, this is the second noob post I've found like this today.  First was "Hey, did you see the new magpul stock?"  and absolutely no info, just the start of another useless thread.

We don't need almost-dead, non-updated threads to be reborn.  Especially when they are of this incendiary nature.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#12]
It does make sense, though, that a reciprocating gas piston operating at high speed would need  to be assembled with a higher degree of precision than is required with a static gas tube.  Good reason not to convert but to buy a complete upper if you want the gas piston. I am leaning towards the POF unit these days as they are able to deliver on time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]
WTF is with all this LMT bashing?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Worthless thread with no facts or information from the original poster.

IBTL
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yes, this is the second noob post I've found like this today.  First was "Hey, did you see the new magpul stock?"  and absolutely no info, just the start of another useless thread.

We don't need almost-dead, non-updated threads to be reborn.  Especially when they are of this incendiary nature.

Understood, but in some of these threads like the one above, you come off sounding like a troll.  Maybe an IM would have done better there.  Bottom line is that this forum is becomming an extension of the GD forum.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#17]
After 29 posts...Bro.

The a friend told me something doesn't work.

Prove it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Bottom line is that this forum is becoming an extension of the GD forum.

Sad but true.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My guess is that you have some newbies and the like that don't own an AR, have never been in the same room with an AR and are now internet experts.  Their expertese coming from surfing sites and loking for heated debates and so on.  I have 2 complete LMT M4s.  They are completely in spec, run flawlessly and have way above average fit and finish.  I really don't get the bashing either.  If you don't like LMT so what.  I don't like egg plant.  So who cares.  It would be best to ignore the little dip shits.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have any first-hand knowledge, so my comments will reflect that fact.

IF a significant percentage of LMT uppers is being sold with canted FSBs, that's worth talking about. I, for one, would want to know so I could be on the lookout for this problem if I were buying one. That would not be considered 'bashing' LMT - just pointing out an obvious QC problem.

OTOH, if it's just unsubstantiated rumor, it should be treated as such.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#21]
hay guyz, i have 29 posts but i dont have a fucking clue, i think ill besmirch one of the finest manufacturers out there!!!!

i m s0 l33t
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I don't like egg plant.

Asshole!  Egg plant is THE HEAT!  

(Kidding!)

Quoted:
IF a significant percentage of LMT uppers is being sold with canted FSBs, that's worth talking about. I, for one, would want to know so I could be on the lookout for this problem if I were buying one. That would not be considered 'bashing' LMT - just pointing out an obvious QC problem.

I for one have not seen one evidentiary claim on there being a problem or that LMT is unwilling to fix said problem.  If a few people have problems, then send them back.  All I have been seeing lately is people bagging on LMT without any solutions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#23]
WTF?

My LMTs are the bestest.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
hay guyz, i have 29 posts but i dont have a fucking clue, i think ill besmirch one of the finest manufacturers out there!!!!

i m s0 l33t

It is worthy of note that post count alone whether high or low, as well as date joined, doesn't mean sqat. If someone with knowledge of Pat Rogers, for example, joins AR15.COM to make a contribution, and has a post count of 1, does that invalidate what he has to say?

I think you have to take each post at face value, on an individual basis.

But the old adage still applies:

In God we trust, all others must bring data.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
As a side note, lets look at the process that makes a barrel.  Let's say, Charlie the FSB installer is having a bad day.  He had a few too many beers last night and isn't on his game.  Today he installs, let's just say 25 FSBs onto barrels.  Since he's a little off his game, he's not as rigorous in his machine setup and misses a spec by a tad.  Since he was a bit sloppy with his setup, the FSBs have a chance to be off on every barrel that is done that day.  It just so happens that Charlie was drinking with Joe, the QA guy and Joe's a little off today, also.  Joe's off his game and misses something he would normally catch.  Now this batch gets out to the general public and it looks like a massive QA/QC issue, especially in forums like this.  It's the same with every part made.

But here on ARFCOM, these issues get branded into the minds of some people here and live on eternally - especially when some just can't let go.  Examples???? - RRA upper receivers, Bushmaster canted FSBs, Olympic anything???? and probably at least a couple dozen more if I really put my mind to it.

I'd not discount or bash any company based on a single issue like this, even if it shows up a few times.  I would definitely look at each part closely when I got them to verify they aren't part of a bad batch, though.

Bottom line - the vast majority of the LMT equipment will be well within spec, if not exactly in spec.  Knowing the issue is out there should be considered when purchasing the products.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#26]
This is nothing but another thread containing nothing but bullshit.  It's a bullshit topic and there's no reason for calling me a troll when I'm only trying to make very obvious the fact that this thread is nothing but a stupid inflammatory statement.

The MODS need to lock shit like this immediately and insert a link to the most recent "anti-LMT" thread so that the trolls can go there.  

This is basically a dupe because it's nothing but rumor and garbage
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I have one LMT upper and the FSB is cated a little to the left, but it's zeroed and it doesn't really bother me. It's still an excellent upper.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1 on that.

My LMT M4 upper is 100%.  No-canted FSB or any of the other crap that I see spewed about LMT on this site.  

coburn
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is nothing but another thread containing nothing but bullshit.  It's a bullshit topic and there's no reason for calling me a troll when I'm only trying to make very obvious the fact that this thread is nothing but a stupid inflammatory statement.

The MODS need to lock shit like this immediately and insert a link to the most recent "anti-LMT" thread so that the trolls can go there.  

This is basically a dupe because it's nothing but rumor and garbage

I agree with what you say about this thread and it should be locked.  I didn't call you a troll nor do I think you are one, but your replies in this thread and a few others lately do come off as trollish.  I just  hope this forum doesn't turn into a GD free-for-all.  

Buttpad's name on www.asspiratesfromhell.com is Buttplug.  He's a transexual who is unsure of whether he has made the right life-choice.  He has gone through with the operation and hormone treatments, but now that he has "woman parts," he wants to wear men's and little boy's clothes.  I'm not sure what he term for this problem is, but it is a problem.  

I also heard that his "man parts" were out of spec and they couldn't do the "conversion" until they sewed shut his gaping asshole.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
As a side note, lets look at the process that makes a barrel.  Let's say, Charlie the FSB installer is having a bad day.  He had a few too many beers last night and isn't on his game.  Today he installs, let's just say 25 FSBs onto barrels.  Since he's a little off his game, he's not as rigorous in his machine setup and misses a spec by a tad.  Since he was a bit sloppy with his setup, the FSBs have a chance to be off on every barrel that is done that day.  It just so happens that Charlie was drinking with Joe, the QA guy and Joe's a little off today, also.  Joe's off his game and misses something he would normally catch.  Now this batch gets out to the general public and it looks like a massive QA/QC issue, especially in forums like this.  It's the same with every part made.

But here on ARFCOM, these issues get branded into the minds of some people here and live on eternally - especially when some just can't let go.  Examples???? - RRA upper receivers, Bushmaster canted FSBs, Olympic anything???? and probably at least a couple dozen more if I really put my mind to it.

I'd not discount or bash any company based on a single issue like this, even if it shows up a few times.  I would definitely look at each part closely when I got them to verify they aren't part of a bad batch, though.

Bottom line - the vast majority of the LMT equipment will be well within spec, if not exactly in spec.  Knowing the issue is out there should be considered when purchasing the products.

Excellent post Mongo!

The problem here lately is too many people getting way too bent out of shape when anybody says anything negative about their favorite brand.

The whole point of this forum (IMO) is to learn and share information. When people ask for info about product XYZ they generally want to know if there is anything they need to watch out for. Simply mentioning that brand XYZ had an issue(s) with their ABC product being out of spec or whatever should be considered nothing more then an FYI. That way, if that person does buy product ABC they can check it out and make sure theirs does not have the same issue.

But for whatever reason, around here lately sharing anything like that gets you attacked and labeled as a troll? The way some of these people act you would think you just called their momma a big fat crack whore! Some people seem to think that if they have product ABC and it doesn't have any issues (that they have noticed) and you claim that yours does then you must be lying and just trying to bash brand XYZ because you don't like them or because you belong to some cult? Too much tin foil? I don't know but it's really getting pretty stupid.

Look at the flat out anger in this thread? Really people, how sad is your life that you are getting this bent because of somebody's post on an Internet discussion forum? I don't care what you think of the person posting the info or of the info itself, calm the hell down. Life is too short already.

Take a deep breath and think about that for a moment...........

Getting back on subject. As shown above, this possible issue was first mentioned by 48thHighlander based off of what he has seen on his upper and what Paul LeitherWise reported to him about the LMT uppers they have been receiving. I have no reason to believe either person is trolling or lying. So maybe one of them will come here and give us some more details about what they have seen? From what little 48th wrote, it would seem the issue may be minor or even non-existent unless you are trying to convert it to a piston driven system?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent post Mongo!

The problem here lately is too many people getting way too bent out of shape when anybody says anything negative about their favorite brand.

The whole point of this forum (IMO) is to learn and share information. When people ask for info about product XYZ they generally want to know if there is anything they need to watch out for. Simply mentioning that brand XYZ had an issue(s) with their ABC product being out of spec or whatever should be considered nothing more then an FYI. That way, if that person does buy product ABC they can check it out and make sure theirs does not have the same issue.

But for whatever reason, around here lately sharing anything like that gets you attacked and labeled as a troll? The way some of these people act you would think you just called their momma a big fat crack whore! Some people seem to think that if they have product ABC and it doesn't have any issues (that they have noticed) and you claim that yours does then you must be lying and just trying to bash brand XYZ because you don't like them or because you belong to some cult? Too much tin foil? I don't know but it's really getting pretty stupid.

Look at the flat out anger in this thread? Really people, how sad is your life that you are getting this bent because of somebody's post on an Internet discussion forum? I don't care what you think of the person posting the info or of the info itself, calm the hell down. Life is too short already.

Take a deep breath and think about that for a moment...........

Getting back on subject. As shown above, this possible issue was first mentioned by 48thHighlander based off of what he has seen on his upper and what Paul LeitherWise reported to him about the LMT uppers they have been receiving. I have no reason to believe either person is trolling or lying. So maybe one of them will come here and give us some more details about what they have seen? From what little 48th wrote, it would seem the issue may be minor or even non-existent unless you are trying to convert it to a piston driven system?

+1 on all of the above
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I don't disagree with a thing you've said, but to be clear, I am not angry.  I am also not flaming anyone.  I posted that link and the quote, because people wanted to know where the poster was getting his info.  In fact, I made nearly THE EXACT statement regarding 48thHighlander and Leither-Wise as you did above.  I am also not some slavish LMT devotee.  My AR is a mix of parts from a lot of the big names, and truthfully I could care less what names so long as its working.  All that said, I understand why some people (including dealers) might get a little hot if somewhere a few people have, say, a canted FSB or, maybe, a tight mag well and they make so much noise that those who don't read the posts critically start posting everywhere that its a fact that LMT has QC issues.

If someone posts a pic of a canted FSB and tells the story how LMT told them to get bent themselves, I can understand a complaint.  Otherwise, its bound to turn into a screaming match.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#33]
What's wrong with these folks AR's that they need to convert to piston driven? Mine runs like a motherfucker on fire with the direct gas system.........
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What's wrong with these folks AR's that they need to convert to piston driven? Mine runs like a motherfucker on fire with the direct gas system.........

Let's not get off track and bag on ANOTHER company.  Few people have gotten to handle the piston systems yet, but it sounds cool from what I've read.  I'm in line for Leitner-Wise's MRS, but I might have to wait until after the first batch now.  There's a million other threads on all the above.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't come across as a troll, but I can come across as an asshole.  Anyone who sees my first post in this thread as being an asshole really has their head up their ass.  The intelligent members of the board know how every thread ends up when it gets to this point and the smartest ones can tell immediately if a  thread is going to take a dive by looking at the first post and poster.  

I've got an LMT upper but it wasn't built as a complete upper by LMT so I have no interest in canted or not canted out of spec bullshit comments.  

It seems these days the term "mil-spec" is thrown around at anything and everything that moves.  I see people complaining that uppers or chambers are out of spec when they don't eject their steel cased wolf ammo or that a magazine is not mil-spec because they are short stroking.  it's getting ridiculous here.

It's great that ideas and possible rumors can be discussed in order to find out the truth and set things straight but discussing shit of this nature posted by someone who has obviously no idea what they are talking about is ridiculous.  

Look at it this way- a group of 10 retarded kids have every right in the world to discuss the origins of the universe, but you gotta realize it's pretty pointless.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Why are we even giving this guy attention????  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#38]
FREAKZILLA JUST TOLD ME I SHOULD STOP BEING MEAN.

I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS, BUT HE IM'd ME AND TOLD ME THAT I'M AS SQUARE AS A DONUT.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS, BUT HE IM'd ME AND TOLD ME THAT I'M AS SQUARE AS A DONUT.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You meanie!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't have an LMT upper, since they are too powerful for just anyone to own, so I really don't have a problem if they are out of spec.  Just the elite will have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I don't have an LMT upper, since they are too powerful for just anyone to own, so I really don't have a problem if they are out of spec.  Just the elite will have to deal with it.

lol  At least the person who originally posted that attached some evidence.  For me, I was looking Colt or LMT so it was a lose-lose.  haha
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry guys, I just had to throw that one in here too after mongo pointed out how some people won't let some things die.

Ha ha.  Good post.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I just got a spanking from MrsGloftoe (?) through an IM.  She (?) told me that I should try to be nicer and that I should delete my replies in this thread.  

MrsGloftoe-  Could you please look at the wantonly reckless nature of the topic of this thread and then IM someone else??
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#46]
If you expect to be taken seriously, than Every single Rootin'-Tootin' Gottdamn upper LMT is putting out
BETTER be out of spec.

Quoted:

^
Hear,Hear.
I've never seen someone shove their foot in their own O-Ring faster than you, Sir.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]
The only thing I noticed about LMT's uppers (the two that I have seen) that looked any different from Bushmaster's uppers (which are what I have the most experience with) was that the front sight base is held in place with straight pins, not tapered pins.  I have no idea if that makes any difference, because as far as I can tell the LMT front sight bases are rock solid and straight, as well as the Bushmaster ones that I have seen.

I feel that the words "spec" and "mil-spec" are thrown around by people who don't really know what  they truly mean.  I don't know what's mil-spec or not, only what works.  LMT is good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just got a spanking from MrsGloftoe (?) through an IM.  She (?) told me that I should try to be nicer and that I should delete my replies in this thread.  

MrsGloftoe-  Could you please look at the wantonly reckless nature of the topic of this thread and then IM someone else??

Personal attacks will not be permitted in any area of AR15.com save in the Pit.  Personal attacks in the technical forums will get your account locked.  This is my last warning on the subject.

I dont think it was a personal attack.  In order to be a personal attack one has to be a person.  Buttplate is not a person, it is a .  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

a friend told me that the LMT uppers are so out of spec. that L-W can NOT convert them with any gurantee they will be right. so if you have an LMT upper, forget about it being converted or expect it to cost more as they need some work BEFORE the conversion, i have no personal experience with LMT, so i have NO info about their quality, all my ARs are Colt & Bushmaster.

added red no !!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top