Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 1:02:27 PM EDT
anyone have pics and comments about this system I have ran search on it found a few things but still have alot of questions as to exactly how this set up works, I have never seen one in person and havent really paid attention to them until now except I know I like how the rail system flows into the receiver.  I hate asking stupid questions but on the pics I have seen I can not see an interuption from the rail on a flat top receiver to the rail on the handguard is this all one piece receiver machined with the extra long rail?  I doubt this is the case.  Anyways the ones I have seen look really sweet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
anyone have pics and comments about this system I have ran search on it found a few things but still  I hate asking stupid questions but on the pics I have seen I can not see an interuption from the rail on a flat top receiver to the rail on the handguard is this all one piece receiver machined with the extra long rail?  I doubt this is the case.  Anyways the ones I have seen look really sweet.

It is machined from one piece

I had posted a bunch of pics in another thread, but now I can't find it.  Here's one:

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the exact set up I want as far as rail and barrel length... unfortunately I cant afford $1489 right now that would leave me no money for optics and other goodies
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is a great system, here is mine with the 10.5 barrel and I also have a 14.5 to go on it, very easy to change barrels and a well built piece of equiptment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I just put that same type of floor in my brothers house, how is your holding up? everyone thinks his is stone.... yes thats a nice picture of a rifle I want and cant have thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The upper and rail on the MRT is one peice of machined aluminum. I have not used one but have seen a few at Shot Show etc. They seem pretty great and I want one bad. Guy I know with the most experience with them is Wes from MSTN. You can get some answeres from him at their section of the Industry forum;
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=134

I got my LMT MRP carbine upper with the 16" SS barrel from Wes @ MSTN. I am running a Troy rail front sight & a GG&G MAD rear sight. I have not decided on an Aimpoint or moving my MR/T to it. As Wes has stated, "they shoot much better than one would reasonably expect (changable barrel)". It's a sweet setup. WHEN, LMT produces 6.8SPC barrels & bolts, I plan to switch over to 6.8SPC. I already have a 6.8SPC Recce built by Wes and it is a one sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, your rifles are SWEET.  The LMT MRP is a unique, one piece upper and is on the top of my "Must have when I find a brief case full of cash list", just below the M82A1.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BSBG, is that one of the Magpul Det 1 stocks?

Nope, it's a standard Coyote 93A .
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife says get it now if I can convince myself they sure are exactly what I want in an AR
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is machined from one piece

I took this pic at the ShotShow, showing what it looks like before machining:
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
wow thats neat to see the blank
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
[ link to larger image ]

Tons of MRP pictures here:
apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/MRP/

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#15]
the gun and the floor are holding up well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Danm it!  I had convinced my self I  did not need or want an MRP (since they are on indeffinate backorder) until Zak posted that pic that is one sweet looking rifle.  I feel like John Kerry "I voted for the MRP, before I voted against it!"
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Any chance you could get the barrel w/ a fixed front sight? Or use flip up only? Anybody, anybody?
-Justin
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any chance you could get the barrel w/ a fixed front sight? Or use flip up only? Anybody, anybody?
-Justin

I suppose, if you use a carbine length with a long enough barrel so that the gas block is beyond the rails, and you get one the right diameter, it might work.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw the one Pat Rogers used in his SWAT magazine write up. Even got to shoot it a little bit.

I want one....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Any disadvantages associated with the MRP? Any quirks a potential buyer should know about? I remember considering an MRP for my first AR upper, but evidently came across a few posts that caused me to exclude it completely. I can't recall what the issues were.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#21]
ICU/Justin,

I've heard that LMT is working on a fixed front rail-mounted sight.

The Troy front is real sturdy, however.

-z
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#22]
-Justin

Why not just mount the flip up on the rail?

If anyone has any negative feed back on the MRP I want to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
-Justin

Why not just mount the flip up on the rail?

If anyone has any negative feed back on the MRP I want to hear it.

Well, maybe not negative, but some concerns that I have heard... I know I will catch hell from a few people here for speaking ill of the (current) holy grail -- but, to be honest, LMT was not the first to think of a "monolithic" upper, there are designs and prototypes going back over a decade...

First, very expensive, labor intensive design...

Uses propritary parts, limits the amount of parts available

The quick change barrel is more a neccesasity than a feature, in order to machine the upper from a solid chunk, they had to come up with a different way to secure the barrel. Cutting the conventional threads would not be *impossible* on this upper, but would have seemed like it... Also, I dont classify a barrel that needs tools to change as "quick change"... no matter what period of time is needed to make the change, and as an old ass in the grass grunt, I just dont like the system -- again, more out of necessity than anything.

The concept of a mono upper sort of flys in the face of the modular concept... the system you have is all you got -- if something way more cool comes along any time in the future, you may not be able to play and any damage to the upper, renders the entire package possibly ooc.

LMT has some QC issues early on (but who doesn't huh?) and some dealers had to send product back, but I am sure this was just an old growing pain.

The MRP is pretty cool... but as said, it is certainly not the only, or even first, to come to the plate. Bottom line, if it blows your skirt up... get one -- if not, well there are are LOT of other things out there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The MRP gas tube and gas tube retaining ring are unique.  I'm not sure if the gas block is unique or not.

You'd need to have extras of those parts.    But in the event of a failure of one of those parts, or a barrel, a barrel could be switched over much easier and faster - possibly in the field - vs. repairing a regular gas block/tube.

Absent failure of one of those, it'd have to be a catastrophic receiver/fore-end failure, which would also render a regular AR as useless.

-z
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]
If I understand correctly, the MRP was created to compete in the SCAR trials.  As such, it is required to have a barrel that is 'quick-change' at the user level.  It is also supposed to have the ability convert to different calibers, which the MRP can with a barrel, bolt and magazine.

As stated above, any incident that would render an MRP inoperable via damage would also render a standard AR inoperable.  If I were to own an MRP, I would definately have the extra bolts and torx key required to change the barrel.  That looks like something I would lose in about 8 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If I understand correctly, the MRP was created to compete in the SCAR trials.  As such, it is required to have a barrel that is 'quick-change' at the user level.  It is also supposed to have the ability convert to different calibers, which the MRP can with a barrel, bolt and magazine.

As stated above, any incident that would render an MRP inoperable via damage would also render a standard AR inoperable.  If I were to own an MRP, I would definately have the extra bolts and torx key required to change the barrel.  That looks like something I would lose in about 8 minutes.

Yep... I have the request package for the SCAR (which is it, combat or assault?), IIRC the standard was for a barrel that could be changed out is no more than 20 minutes, with a desired time of 5 minutes -- of course, a lot of people chimed in that they can swap barrels in an AR in that time easy...

One argument was that if the upper receiver was considered part of the barrel assy (which adds very little to the cost) then the AR was probably the fastest quick change rifle on the market...

The multi-caliber requirement has some mixed origins, but I recall that early on the need for a rifle that could be switched over to use indiginous "battlefield pick-up" magazines was a concern, I think that was weakened by those that pointed out that where there are magazines laying about, the rifle designed for them should be pretty available as well.

The ability to change calibers has a point, but is limited to certain units and missions... but, it is nice to be able to "golf bag" you gun as they say for the job at hand. The other side of that is joe snuffy grunt is not going to be packing around a roll pouch of barrels in different sizes and calibers... then the worry of having boots and a ruck to match the barrel he is using, you see the problems that could come from this -- Now, while outfitting for a particular job and all the spare goodies are in a box in the other room, this is a different story, but the argument I heard against this is simple; say you got a rifle with a MRP upper and a barrel in 5.56 and 6.8 while I have a regular AR with an upper for 5.56 and one for 6.8... for tonights job were are going to want to switch from 5.56 to 6.8 -- Hey, you dropped your wrench... I'll catch you later in the TV room ahite?

Well, guess that is about it... oh, I am not saying that the MRP would be more prone to damage, in fact I imagine it is even more durable... just that it is a all-your-eggs-in-one-basket thing, so what part got bent/broken/shot? Ummm the upper receiver.

later...

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Even if you ignore the quick-change ability, the MRP will be more rigid and lighter than a comparable rail system, not to mention having fewer parts to break.

-z
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#28]
The LMT is a very nice package.
Well made, and quite expensive.

They are not the only system that offers a quick-change-barrel system.

The MGI QCB system is an upper receiver system which does quick change barrels in much less time than the LMT, uses standard off-the-shelf AR barrels, requires no tools to do the barrel changes, includes a ventilated free-float tube with Picatinny Rails, and there is no problem with using the standard fixed FSB on any barrel length over 10.25". It also costs only about half what the LMT does.

The MGI QCB drastically beats the SCAR spec for barrel change time, with about a 30-second barrel change. No tools to lose. Barrels can be changed hot or cold. You can use any AR15 barrel in it(reasonable cost and easy availability) as opposed to expensive proprietary barrels which are required on the MRP.

Different strokes for different folks.
Always good to have some variety available.

Email me for details.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
anyone have pics and comments about this system I have ran search on it found a few things but still have alot of questions as to exactly how this set up works, I have never seen one in person and havent really paid attention to them until now except I know I like how the rail system flows into the receiver.  I hate asking stupid questions but on the pics I have seen I can not see an interuption from the rail on a flat top receiver to the rail on the handguard is this all one piece receiver machined with the extra long rail?  I doubt this is the case.  Anyways the ones I have seen look really sweet.

latest SWAT magazine has a great write up on em' by Pat Rogers.

They are an awesome rail platform!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top