Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2010 5:46:48 AM EDT

OK so when I picked up my new LMT from my local FFL the guy said this looked like it had been fixed- as in something with the screws was bad and it had to be redrilled.  Do you think this would have been done at LMT or is it a used gun I got from Clyde Armory?  I don't care about the markings but I don't want a used gun!!!!

My previous post on my new LMT:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=513923
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
looks normal to me.  also clyde armory is great, i dont think they would try to sell a used gun as new
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased a new LMT from my local shop recently and it looks exaclty like that. It does not appear to be a defect, just a part of the design.

I will post pictures for you later this afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Im not sure what youre talking about but here is mine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah that does look just like mine.  thanks  that makes me feel better.  I never thought anything of it- it was the guy at my local gun shop that pointed it out...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yeah that does look just like mine.  thanks  that makes me feel better.  I never thought anything of it- it was the guy at my local gun shop that pointed it out...

np, what part made you worry? how the first screw is cut higher than the other?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah im confused as well.  Don't see what stands out that would make someone question redrilling.
All my MRP's look just like that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
OK I guess my local gun store guy is a moron.... sorry for the wasted post....

On the plus side I feel better about my LMT and can't wait to shoot it- hopefully this weekend
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah im confused as well.  Don't see what stands out that would make someone question redrilling.
All my MRP's look just like that.

just a guess here as i dont own a lmt or have never handled one. but to someone who isnt familiar with the design may think that it was drilled out and a helicoil installed i know this isnt what happened but maybe the guy behind the counter was thinking that.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]
And just to help Clyde's, they are just a big nice gun store. They don't have any tools there. They sell Colt's by the pallet. They are not going to fuck around.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Your FFL though the use of the steal threaded inserts was due to a bad tap job or miss drilled hole.  When in fact LMT uses them because they are stronger than treading directly into the aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your FFL though the use of the steal threaded inserts was due to a bad tap job or miss drilled hole.  When in fact LMT uses them because they are stronger than treading directly into the aluminum.

This is correct, the design uses a steel insert instead of threaded into aluminum.....

Also the holes are off center line by design, one is the clamping fastner and the other is a body bolt that is basically a reamed pin to keep the barrel fixed axially and from twisting....

The LMT is an outstanding design and they did their homework on this one......that is why I sold ever other AR maker I own and buy nothing but LMT

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct, the design uses a steel insert instead of threaded into aluminum.....

Also the holes are off center line by design, one is the clamping fastner and the other is a body bolt that is basically a reamed pin to keep the barrel fixed axially and from twisting....

The LMT is an outstanding design and they did their homework on this one......that is why I sold ever other AR maker I own and buy nothing but LMT

i dont know the technical stuff about lmt, all i know is i love their stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know the technical stuff about lmt, all i know is i love their stuff.

Sorry to get technical, but that is my line of work....I would rather disasemble, clean, inspect and get into the details of how they are made and function than shoot them

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a heads up on Clyde Armory.

They are a local shop for me (lucky, I know) and very well thought of in the community. Respectable gun store with decent prices on a lot of very cool stuff (Class 3 etc.). The only complaint I have ever heard was from somebody who didn't have enough money to buy everything they wanted. Their solution - layaway plan. Just good people who like guns and don't mind answering stupid question after stupid question.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top