Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/29/2009 12:38:59 PM EDT
I have an LMT MRP , I would like to switch it to piston.

Is the only think I need ,is a new barrel and a bolt carrier or I would need something else.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:48:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jobbass:
I have an LMT MRP , I would like to switch it to piston.

Is the only think I need ,is a new barrel and a bolt carrier or I would need something else.

Thanks.

I just got an LMT MRP piston upper and I believe that you can switch the MRP back and forth between DI and piston simply by buying the desired barrel assembly AND having the proper bolt carrier for which ever system is being used.

More experienced LMT'ers here might know better, but I am pretty sure they are interchangable between DI and piston.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:51:20 PM EDT
^^^^ is right in that you need a piston barrel, BCG and probably an H2 buffer. That's what LMT recommends at least. Just remember that the piston conversion can only work on the MRP CQB upper not the rifle length MRP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:04:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trooper84:
^^^^ is right in that you need a piston barrel, BCG and probably an H2 buffer. That's what LMT recommends at least. Just remember that the piston conversion can only work on the MRP CQB upper not the rifle length MRP.

Yes, should have said only the CQB version of the MRP.

That brings up a question.... I got the H2 buffer with my piston upper and installed it in my LMT lower before I functioned checked the new upper. However, I left it in there (H2) when I switched back to my regular DI upper and it seemed to work fine. Is there any reason not to keep the H2 buffer in there for the regular DI upper, or will it cause problems over time?

Until I get my new lowers, I'm swapping uppers for now on the same lower. When I get my new lower to dedicate to the piston upper, it will be a moot point. Just was curious about the H2 buffer with a regular DI carbine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:08:03 PM EDT
H2 buffers should work fine in DI guns. In fact, the heavier buffer should help reduce the felt recoil a bit. Some people will even run a heavier buffer than an H2. I would run the H2 as long as your gun is reliable with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:13:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trooper84:
H2 buffers should work fine in DI guns. In fact, the heavier buffer should help reduce the felt recoil a bit. Some people will even run a heavier buffer than an H2. I would run the H2 as long as your gun is reliable with it.

Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:24:25 PM EDT
What the abbrevation DI stand for.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:23:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jobbass:
What the abbrevation DI stand for.

Thanks

DI = Direct Impingement. The normal AR15/M16/M4 family of rifles gas system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_impingement
Top Top