Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2003 9:42:01 AM EDT
Did you ever go to your tube of used locktite and find it all dried  up? This is NOT caused by being to old or air getting to it. What causes this, is that most people touch the tip of the bottle to the metal part being apllied to. As that happens, a chemical current (if you will, much like an electrical current) travels from the "METAL", up the locktite flow stream from the bottle and into the bottle itself. The CORRECT way to apply locktite is to "drip" it onto the part, or applicator tool. never touch bottle tip to metal. hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
To help better understand this. Think of locktite as being a two part glue. part"A" is the locktite, part"B" the metal part(s). Locktite needs metal to activate it, and make it cure.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Another thing one should consider when using a chemical thread locker, is surface area. If you have ever disassembled any mechanical component, you'll notice that most of the time only a "small" amount of locktite was used. Usually a single spot. I would never coat the entire circumference of any threaded area. One consideration would be that maybe the part was not designed(i.e. made of soft metal, or not enough grip or tool surface povided to loosen the part) for the torque reguired to loosen that part in the future.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Loctite 242 and many others are "anaerobic", which means they only cure in an anaerobic enviroment.

[url]http://www.loctite.com/datasheets/tds/Product_242.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There are various types of [b]LOCTITE[/B].  Some are for plastics as well.

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the product number of the Loctite for small screws, the ones typically encounterd in small weapons. I "Think" it is Green in color.
I know better than to use RED on small stuff. Not meaning to hijack thread, but since we're speaking of Loctite.....

Thanks

MM419
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
yes, I'm referring to metal only, since this is where my experience lies. Notice also in the link above, different rates of cure for different metals. It's not so much that the loctite sticks to different metal better. It's the fact that the metal interacts with the loctite to aid and speed cure time. ..........Another thing that helps cure locktite is Pressure/heat/friction(torque), of the two metal parts
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Can I suggest cleaning metal parts of dirt, oil, etc., with CASEY'S "GUN SCRUBBER", or REMINGTON'S "REM ACTION CLEANER". This will leave part oil free. Followed by a wipe down with a clean cotton cloth. Metal preparation for loctite is CRITICAL!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Please do not use locktite on your AR's.  If you sell the AR, the next owner will be very pissed at you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Loctite 242 and many others are "anaerobic", which means they only cure in an anaerobic enviroment.
View Quote

So if I leave the cap off it won't set up in the bottle like, say, Elmer's Glue? [;D]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So if I leave the cap off it won't set up in the bottle like, say, Elmer's Glue? [;D]
View Quote

I didn't make it up, read the data sheet. I've worked with that stuff for 20 years..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top