Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2010 11:23:18 AM EDT
Anyone know which piston system would fit under the middy triangle hg utilizing an A1 fsb? I'm sure I'd have to modify the heat shield. I didn't see any retro-ish platforms in the piston forum....I'll post over there too for a low profile system.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a picture once of an older Bushmaster (I think) piston setup that used a standard front sight base, and the gas system pinned into the standard gas orifice in the back of the front sight base, just like a gas tube would. As I recall, everything was compact, and it looked like they used standard handguards, etc.

If I wasn't dreaming/delusional, and you could actually find something like this, I'll bet it would or could be made to work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Your not dreaming. It's under the "upper receiver assemblies" section of their online catalogue toward the bottom of the page. About $400. Seems to be for short barrels only though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your not dreaming. It's under the "upper receiver assemblies" section of their online catalogue toward the bottom of the page. About $400. Seems to be for short barrels only though.

Damn, I wasn't dreaming. There it is about 3/4 way down

If you could put in a 2" longer connecting rod, that'd work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone know which piston system would fit under the middy triangle hg utilizing an A1 fsb? I'm sure I'd have to modify the heat shield. I didn't see any retro-ish platforms in the piston forum....I'll post over there too for a low profile system.

this one may work under triangular HG's heat shields without having to alter anything

ETA: or you can see if you can find a retro piston set up for your retro middy
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like that OPS 418 will work, it's got a low profile. I wish I can use my YM BCG with it. I'm gonna call and see if they make it with a full auto BC. I think YM uses Locktite 271 on the carrier keys. I never try to remove anything with 271 on it.  
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like that OPS 418 will work, it's got a low profile. I wish I can use my YM BCG with it. I'm gonna call and see if they make it with a full auto BC. I think YM uses Locktite 271 on the carrier keys. I never try to remove anything with 271 on it.  
Thanks for the input.

this was in their FAQ's:

Could you explain the difference(s) between the "OP-416C California Compliant" Version, and "OP-416" (No 'C'), Standard Version? I don't see anything that would qualify as an "Evil Feature" under California Law on either one! Are there any 'Physical' or 'Functional' differences, or is it just about 'Packaging and Labeling'?
May. 3, 2010
the C kits come with a semi carrier all others have a full auto carrier
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top