Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/16/2005 5:29:52 AM EDT
Just curious what others are using for your SMG ammo, and how it is "performing" over the long-haul....reliability being my biggest interest....

My dept is currently deploying folks issued SMG's with Ranger 127 SXT's

TIA  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
THAT'S ABOUT THE BEST CHOICE I CAN THINK OF. ILLINOIS STATE POLICE USED TO ISSUE WIN +P+ WITH THE POWER POINT BULLET. A BIKER SHOOTING NEAR CHICAGO CHANGED THAT, AND THEY WENT TO .223. THE OLD WIN AMMO WAS HOT BUT IT PLUGGED UP THE HOLLOW POINT.  SXT 127 GR IS THE BEST 9MM AROUND.

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot several thousand rounds of IMI Black tip.  It's much hotter than standard 9mm ball and cycles quite well.  Sadly, I haven't seen it around it years.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
we tried some Win Ranger 147 SXT's and 115 JHP +P+ and they both jammed like hell in our SMG's over the weekend.  tried some federal 147 HP's with the same results.  I hear the Remington Golden Sabre (sp?) HP's work better than most HP designs out of the Colt.

any concurances?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting topic. I have two questions:

1. What seems to generally be a reliable ammunition in subguns and civilian legal 9mm carbines?

2. Which loads seem to offer the best combo of penetration and expansion?

I ask that last question because I fear a round that expands really well when fired from a 4" barrel pistol might overexpand and not penetrate deep enough to meet the FBI minimum 12" requirement from a 16" barrel carbine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Our duty load for the Colt SMG is 124 Grain M882 Ball.  It is the only thing that will run reliably.  In some of the newer guns, HydraShok works...sometimes it doesn't.  Its strange, but the more shot out a gun is, the less HydraShok will work in it. You just get a soft "pop" and the bolt does not go all the way back.  In the newer SMGs, you can run mag after mag on auto of HydraShok no problem...

If it were up to me...we would just ditch the sub guns and go to M-4s.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've shot several thousand rounds of IMI Black tip.  It's much hotter than standard 9mm ball and cycles quite well.  Sadly, I haven't seen it around it years.

Regards,
Gary

Here you go! IMI +P 9mm Black Tip @ Northwest Loading Supply
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

www.northwestloading.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_73&products_id=268

They have it for $15 per box of 50.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the input guys.  i have some ammo inbound from remington, federal, speer, and hornady so will do some testing and see what works best...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Steve I told you to trade those in and get a badass M-4 like the one you have.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Steve I told you to trade those in and get a badass M-4 like the one you have.

Hey man I'm with ya on that one !

i'll take a badass M4 anyday over a 635....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Some SMGs have trouble feeding lighter *115grn* flat bullets, such as Corbons. Other SMGs badly mutilate JHPs making the essentially useless. Having to use FMJ rounds in an SMG negates thier appeal, to me at least...Some are more ammo senstive than others, however I would reccomend heavier, longer-rounded JHPs as opposed to lighter flat nosed bullets. The load you are currently issued is one of the best 9mm rounds out there and if it feeds, it should be seriously considered. I would reccomend the 124 grn non+p or 147 grn Gold Dots. With the SMGs extended barrel you will already be increasing velocity, and the extra velocity can cause the Gold Dot to fragment and under penetrate which negates its strenghts which are uniform consistant expansion and good penetration because of its bonded core. The bonded core is a superior duty load because of its bonded core which will be a large advantage when encountering a vehicle. Good Luck and be safe!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#13]
That is the nice thing about a Sterling, it feeds everything.  From 85 gr JHP reloads I had laying around to 115 gr Federal JHP up to 147 gr Winchester JHPs.  I wish it wasn't so much trouble to suppress.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#14]
love those ol' sterlings....reliable as all getout....

oh well....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks Troy - good info there sir.  is there a website or other source that one can get ratings on various 9mm ammo ?

i have a bunch coming in for reliability testing in the SMG, and will be interested also in each one's performance as you mention above...

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't have personal experience with SMG's, but I do know that the U.S. Postal Inspection Service uses 147 grn. JHP's (usually W-W) in their H&K MP5's.  Apparently these function fine because this ammo been in use for several years.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top