Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 11:31:31 AM EDT
My local dealer  took shipment of a Colt LE 6920 that had a letter in the box with tax stamp information.  He said that it is a class 3 gun and he can't do anything with it.  He was going to call the Bureau of ATF and see what he had to do to sell it to non LEO personnell.  The  form was dated in July 2004.  Do all pre-sunset guns come with this form?  What, if any action must he take to sell this gun legally?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds more like a LE6921 w/14.5" bbl.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
You're right.  I called him after I saw your post and had him measure the barrel.  There are no model numbers on the gun itself.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It would say the model on the box. I heard it says 'M4 LE Carbine' or similar on the lower itself.

Too bad though, a 6921 would be nice to have!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Too bad though, a 6921 would be nice to have! hr

You're not kidding!  At least I got to handle it.  It was pretty cool.  I liked how the front sling holder positioned the sling to the side.  

The stock only had three positions.  I thought they were supposed to have four.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want it, pay the $200.00 tax and get it, assuming you are in a NFA legal state.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a flash suppressor welded on it, then you can have ti taken off of the National Registry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a flash suppressor welded on it, then you can have ti taken off of the National Registry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
C_J, you're saying it's an SBR right now and all it would take to make it a "friendly" rifle is a permanent FH to create a barrel at least 16"?  (I'm still getting used rifles vs. carbines vs. SBRs)

Now that's sweet!

Definitely do that, Niko!  You can't pass up that opportunity!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If its unregistered, you had better get those upper and lower separated. You can't buy it like that. Is this a class three dealer?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like a complete gun (with lower).  If this is the case and you are not LE, then you cant have it.  You can have the upper if you already have a registered lower, however.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, HE can't have it if it wasn't transferred to him.  He needs to check this with the shipper and ATF ASAP!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Or build a pistol out of that upper..

And get a legal rifle upper for that lower

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It sounds like a complete gun (with lower).  If this is the case and you are not LE, then you cant have it.  You can have the upper if you already have a registered lower, however.

If his dealer is a Class Three dealer (has to be to possess it legally) the dealer can have something permanently attached and have the ATF remove it from the registry, making it a Title 1 firearm again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If his dealer is a Class Three dealer (has to be to possess it legally) the dealer can have something permanently attached and have the ATF remove it from the registry, making it a Title 1 firearm again.

Yeah, but you don't understand...if it wasn't Form 3d to THAT dealer, someone fucked up bad.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but you don't understand...if it wasn't Form 3d to THAT dealer, someone fucked up bad.

Yeah, thats why I asked if he had a C3 dealer, because it seems like it was a surprise to the dealer. If its an NFA iten, he damn well better know. Maybe Colt made a mistake at the factory? In which case it would be on the Registry, but possessed illegally by the dealer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone needs to clear this up.  

If this "GUN" is indeed this:

And if the lower is a machine gun lower, NO CIVILIAN can have the lower.  

He was going to call the Bureau of ATF and see what he had to do to sell it to non LEO personnell
 Impossible if its the gun pictured above.  Not to mention Colt would pull his dealership if it was legal and he did sell it to NON LEO or MILITARY.

This whole thing does not sound right at all.  Clarify.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
sounds like the colt shipping dock punted this one pretty good
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Did anyone ever stop to think that the "Tax letter" may be refering to the Excise Tax, which is not applicable to LE sales??? This may have nothing to do with short bbls... They would not be able to just ship a SBR to a non SOT dealer.. I realy don't think anyone would make that mistake...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top