Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2003 4:32:28 AM EDT
Hey guys, I met some guy at the range this morning that is selling his leupold MK4 CQ/T.  I'm not an expert when it comes to these things but I know this is an expensive optic.  He needs money and told me he is willing to sell this thing for $450.  I said how about $350 and he said "OK"!!!!!  I tried the thing out but it had no batts in it so...  I told him I'd think about it and I would meet him tomorrow morning with some batts to try it out again.

Now how does this optic work?  What should I be looking for to make sure this thing is in good condition?  He said he only had it for a year (not even) and has no use for it since he bought another Leupold scope.  The thing looks mighty cool and the looking into it w/o the red reticle looked nice.  

Tomorrow I'll mount it to my M-4 and put a batt in there and give it a test.  Please comment, I don't want to be a sucker!  haha.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No personal experience but most comments I've seen suggest its too big, too heavy and unremarkable glass, probably why he's selling cheap.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and love it.  Very versitle and I like tha fact that it can be used without a battery.  I also like the variable scope , to aid in target engagment at greater distances.  I find mine to be very fast out to about 400 meters.  If you don't want it for $350 let your friend know you have a buyer, as I will be glad to get a second for that price.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Snap it up for $350

Its not a perfect scope due to the wt. and some complain about the field of view

The optics however are top shelf...clear bright and down on 1X you have a red dot scope...
and up on 3X you have an illuminated scope
and you also have the advantage of 2X if you need it..

It  could be lighter..but it isnt

It could have a larger field of view...but it doesnt

It could loose the rails...

But for $350 it is a great buy...and it is a very good scope for what it does...

They are pretty well spoken of by practical carbine guys..

The TA-11 is a better scope....but it isnt a variable scope or a redot with 1X either..

As Leupys first entry it kinda went TU ..but if the rumor is true that they are following it up with a more advanced design learned from their mistakes and make the next a 4X ...well that might be the ticket...for some..
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, he wants $430 now.  I am going to meet up with him later in the afternoon for an AR shoot match today and he said he'll "try" to find the mounting bracket so that I can slap it on my flat-top.  He had it attached to his carrying handle.  Great, missing parts.  Oh and he'll put a new battery in there.  Zeroing is gonna be a pain but oh well.  He told me he found the receipt in the box and he bought it last Thanksgiving so its fairly new.  Not much use he said...

How much do these things go for brand new?  

I see that a lot of SWAT teams (from reading a few Guns & Weapons for LE) use these type of scopes.  

More comments guys, I don't want to drop money on something that is junk!  He told me he would let me borrow it till Monday to see how I like it.  I'll be picking that thing up in a few hours and will return late tonight to give you a full report (after I see the Matrix Reloaded!)  Take care guys.  I'll try to bargin him down to $380 - I guess he said he is taking a H U G E hit on this if he sells it to me for $350.  I thought these were only $550 brand new....
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
M4wu, for 450, it is still a good buy, it is not the most perfect scope in the world, but the optic is super clear, and the design idea makes a pretty good scope for range and competition work.  

The model he has probably did not come with flat top mount, usually the mount are extra. so I don't think there is missing parts.  and the scope sells for about 700 dollars on SWFA.  for 400-450. you are getting a hell of a deal.  of course, if you can get him to come down on the price, more power to you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey SMGLee, thanks for your comments.  

Well I went to the range for an hour and came back with the scope.  Yes the bracket is a special order.  I'll have to search around the 'net to see if anyone has them.  I mounted it on the carrying handle but I really did not think this was stable.  Also my cheek had to rise up more than I am use to so that is not good.  I need to get the bracket to feel more comfortable with using this thing.

Overall I am impressed.  It is SUPER clear.  I mean I don't think I've ever seen a scope as clear as this one.  Its only 3x but still - I'll be using this mainly for CQ competitions and just plinking.  I do however want to get this thing on the 100yd range to see how good it is.  Put a battery in and liked what I saw.  Nice orange circle dot that was very clear (after fooling with the focus for a 1/2 hr).  I didn't care for all the different brightness settings.  I just put it on the brightest.  It was very easy to see with both eyes open.  Impressed with that....Using it on 3x I had to close one eye but man the clarity of this scope sold me.  

I'd have to say this is a good optic for what its made for.  Yes the EOTech is a bit faster and smaller but the option to have a 3x zoom is neat.  

I couldn't really zero it in and adjust it today (what a pain) but will next Friday when I have the whole day off (I'll be able to take my time).  He told me to check it out over the weekend and to get back to him by Monday afternoon.  Final price $400.  I think I'm going to buy it off him.  Its in good shape and its sort of new (he bought it NOV 2002).  I HAVE to get that bracket and I hope its not a problem.  I can't stand having the scope mounted on top of the carrying handle.  

Anyone know where I can order this bracket?  I bet its expensive (marketing gimick?).  And I am very surprised that this thing brand new runs $700 - I hope I am getting a deal and not a lemmon!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
the flattop mount is abvout 30 dollars from SWFA.com.  Give thema call, great bunch of people to deal with.

Good luck.

If you decide you don't like it, I will take it off your hands for the price you paid.  I can use it on my AUG with the picatinny rail.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The factory flat top for the CQ/T.. how shall we say... SUCKS! ARMS has made a flat top mount for it and I would suggest you look into it.

Anyone who knows me knows I am not a fan of the CQ/t in any way shape or form, but if you got it for $350, thats a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks SMGLee, If I buy the CQ/T I'll order the mount through SWFA.com - they look like they'd ship it out quick.  

Well now I am having doubts with the CQ/T - what are your reasons for not liking this system?  

I have to admit the EOTech is faster to aquire and is a lot more compact but I guess I'm sold on the CQ/T because you have the option of 3x.  I'm still thinking about it...  $400 was his final offer for the thing.  I did talk to a few guys at the gunstore about the CQ/T and they said that this model is a special order only.  Probably will discontinue soon!?!?!?!  Its too expensive but it is a top quality optic for sure.  They told me 5 LEO's have bought them for their AR's but other than that they haven't sold any to civilians.  They just don't sell I guess.

I got another day to think it over....
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
My advice, buy it. Use it for awhile. If you don';t like it, then sell it here. There has been at least one offer for it. No use letting one of our members not have the same opportunity at it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#11]
At $400, I'd pick it up.  You can always resell it here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought it for $380 and he has the mount for the flat top.  I attached it today and it is extreamly stable.  Its the factory mount.  I can see how it is not a quick on/off but its a good mount.  I have to go to the range to sight this bad boy in on Friday.  I saw the ARMS mount but its $130.  I don't think its worth it.  Anyway he has an EOTech 511 he's selling now!  But after using it again I like the Leupold CQ/T because of the 3x.  If I were using this M-4 strickly for defense then I would probably invest in the EOTech as it is quicker to aquire.  

I still say nothing beats irons but I've been corrupted!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on the purchase.  make sure you bring some spare batteries with you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]
That is a sure as shit great deal. I got mine on Ebay for 600.00 . I love it !
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember Leupold's lifetime guarantee.. even if you bought it second or thrid hand, it's still covered under the warranty, which means, it breaks, they replace it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Luepold makes some excellent scopes. I've got a 3.5-10x40 Vari-X III that I love but why would someone want a optic with a battery life of 7 hours? What were the folks at Leupold thinking? Some people dis the EO Tech AA models for only having 500 hours (with lithium batteries) but 7 hours is just plain silly.

I understand that most of us don't stake our lifes on our rifles on a daily basis. If the batteries go dead, we just put in new ones or call it a day. With my shooting schedule, I'd be change batteries every 4-6 weeks.

That being said, I think it's a good idea to look at everything you buy that's firearm related as something you may have to depend on for your life. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
So the CQ/T can be used as a 3x scope AND a red dot (reflex) type sight?  Or am I just misunderstanding what was previously said?

Dawg
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep can be used as a red dot (on 1X) or an illuminated cross hair optic between 1X-3X
Or a variable scope with an unlit circle dot reticle..
I believe the7 hr battery drain figure is based on the illum on its highest setting..
which I cant see you needing...
Regardless the ACOG has a long lit reticle what 7yrs or so...
The Aimpoint is also very long lived..
The longest lit variable scope would probably be the Trijicon Variables...with BAC
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Hmm, sounds like a great concept, but poor execution.

Maybe Leupold will come out with a "MKII" CQ/T.  If it was 1/2 the weight, had 10 times the battery life, and didn't look so godawful ugly, I might actually get one!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#20]
When Luepy puts their mind to scopes they come out with high quality lifetime warranty stuff (for the most part)..
This is their first attempt at such a project..given a little time..and if they choose to I am pretty sure they will come up with something ..bullet proof , practical & lt. wt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is a sure as shit great deal. I got mine on Ebay for 600.00 . I love it !
View Quote
I just traded it for an Aimpoint M2-2X today. I ate some cash but WTH . I t has got to be better than The Reflex II from Trijicon that I have.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]
unlike most of these type os optics, when the batts go tits up, loopy still has the reticle to sight with.  When others lose batts, you're screwed!  The short life is with the max power setting.  In low light, #3 is the brightest anyone would need. In bright liight, the brightest setting is not bright enough; just turn it off and use the reticles.   It's a killer concept.  Most people who bitch about the CQ/T have never used it and are repeating someone else that also never used one.  Yeah, it's big and ugly, but by far a damn great optic which provides mid-range scoping ability as well as tac entry optic.  Killer stuff; love mine!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
forgot tomention that the factory flattop attachment sucks.  ARMS makes aquick detach that is absolutely bombproof and returns absolutely to zero. Pricey at over $100, but worth every penny for syurdiness, accuracy and convenience without worry.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#24]
unlike most of these type os optics, when the batts go tits up, loopy still has the reticle to sight with.
View Quote

Yeah, unlike the CQT these optics are parallax-free. Also, the batteries won't be going TU in 7 hours (as with the CQT) but will still be good hundreds and even thousands of hours later.

Most people who bitch about the CQ/T have never used it and are repeating someone else that also never used one.
View Quote

Most? Maybe; but I've used the CQT (several times now), Aimpoint, EOtech, Reflex II, TA01NSN, TA50, TA31, and TA11.

The last CQT owner I met was perfectly happy with it until he got to try the TA11. After that, not so happy.

However, for $430 I'd buy a CQT just on the found money principle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I had one for a while.  It was just too big for my light weight carbine set up.  It was also expensive.  I sold it for a loss, but not a huge one.  At the price you got yours I would consider buying another one.  For $700?  Forget it.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Normally I'm a "read only" person, but this topic has peaked my curiosity.  I have tried both the full size and compact ACOG on my Colt M4, and both proved to be excellant.  The down side was one was good for CQB and poor at longer distances, and vice versa.  The Leupold CQT combines the best of both.  Optics are incredible.  Weight?  What weight?  Battery life?  What environment are you in that this is an issue?  If it dies, the optic still works, just light up target with attached white light.  I carry mine in the line of duty on both patrol and tactical assignments, and believe it is the best multi use optic yet for the M4.  To each his own, find something that works for your specific need, and stick with it.

Price is never an issue when I'm shopping for tools to utilize in the line of duty to protect myself and the citizens I serve.  If my department doesn't supply, I buy it with personal funds.  

The only thing worse than getting hurt would be to get hurt due to substandard or inferior weapons or tools.  Get the best you can afford, and then TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN, and then train some more!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of Leupold, has anyone had experience with a Leupold 3-9X40 Tactical scope on an AR15?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top