Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 8:33:17 PM EST
What your opinion of a Leupold Mark 4, 2.5x8 mil-dot, and with a Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC)?

A gun shop here in town has one on clearance ($850). The BDC is for the 62 grain bullet. I mostly shoot 55 grainers. How would you compensate for the difference in bullet weight? Is this a big deal?

I've never used a BDC so I'm unfamiliar with their use.

I have a long distance shoot (up to 1000+ yards) coming up soon and do to a shoulder injury, I'll be using my .223 for it, and the mil-dot Leupold looks like it would be a good scope, but as I said, I don't have any knowledge using a BDC.

How would the BDC affect the use of different bullet weights from 50 to 77 grain bullets?

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:56:24 PM EST
I love my Mark IV on my AR. You say it has a mildot reticle so I assume the BDC is on the turret. Leupold will make you a custom turret with a BDC for any bullet weight/velocity you like for about $80. Out to 300 yards the difference is negligible but if you are shooting beyond that you will probably want a BDC for your particular bullet or switch to the standard turret that just reads in MOA.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:42:50 PM EST
You'll need to get a different set of target knobs to match the bullet weight / velocity you shoot to stay calibrated. Leupold CS will set you up. I have a M4 3x9 w/ 1/4 MOA knobs and it is kick-ass for stout. Your 2.5x8 is even better in terms of eye relief.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:43:02 PM EST
I have one on my Arms Tech USR. It is extremly clear and easy to use. I actually use it for mixed ammo and find that my rifle is less than a half an inch off with M193 and M855 at 100 meters. This scope has eye relief you can't believe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:25:06 PM EST

It's a great combo.
Top Top