Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2004 11:47:25 AM EDT
Yeah, I know, it's been done to death, but I'm looking for a more substantial answer than is typically given. True, it only makes sense that if the ban expires, that there would be no problem. However, when it comes to lesser informed FFL's and the BATF, you just know there is all kinds of room for problems. Anyone gotten a firm answer, in writting, from the BATF. I requested such a document, but haven't heard back from them yet. I've ordered 3 LEO lowers, but I'm sweating the possibility that my local dealer won't transfer them because of the restriction. I'm seeing a lot of presales on Colt's and the like that are restricted marked and I think they'll be having the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
AGNTSA...

Very simply, when the law dies, there is no legal authority on which BATF can premise any sort of ruling or regulation - none, nada, nyet.  If your FFL will not transfer the lowers to you find another FFL who knows what he's doing... or just send them to me for safe keeping.  I really don't know how to break it down any further or make it any simpler.  If your FFL thinks there's some reason why he can't transfer those lowers to you after the ban is dead, ask him to cite you the appropriate section of the US Code upon which such a prohibition may be based.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
no law = no restriction  
can't get any more simple.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
LEO marked anything = A Trap
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Just don't get one if you don't have the testicles to own one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
no law = no restriction  
can't get any more simple.

Exactly...these gun laws have given us such paranoia that we are worried about what might happen, regardless of what the law is. I can understand why some are so worried, because many have a lot to live for and a lot to lose if they have a problem with the law. But our line in the sand has been moved so many times we're going to drown when we back ourselves in the water. Some of us are so worried about gun laws we can't even agree about the spoils of our victory.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, like usual, lots of conjecture and nothing concrete. The hard cold fact is that unless you have a FFL, you need a dealer for transfers. If your local dealers are misinformed, they have you by the testicles. If there is only one or two dealers in your area, you don't sh*t in your nest by telling them off or that they don't know what they're doing. How's that going to help matters?

In the meantime, here's the answer I just received from the ATF website:

Thank you for contacting our Website. Enforcement Programs and Services (EPS) has been working on a document that will address all the issues both with the public, industry, law enforcement, etc., if the ban expires.  The document is not yet approved for release.  Questions can not be answered until such time as we have a final document. We have prepared Q&A's and will be ready to respond by Sept. 13. So, at this point, all I can advise you is to check our Website on Sept 13th and 14th. Regards,

Well, I guess I'll wait for the ruling and print one off to take to my dealer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thank you for contacting our Website. Enforcement Programs and Services (EPS) has been working on a document that will address all the issues both with the public, industry, law enforcement, etc., if the ban expires.  The document is not yet approved for release.  Questions can not be answered until such time as we have a final document. We have prepared Q&A's and will be ready to respond by Sept. 13. So, at this point, all I can advise you is to check our Website on Sept 13th and 14th. Regards,

That's a laugh!  Yeah..  I'll check back with these Dumb Fucks on the 13th and 14th to see if they've got their heads out of their assholes yet!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You can have one now, it just has to be assembled into a post ban config.  The law says nothing about the markings on the reciever just the configureation of the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, like usual, lots of conjecture and nothing concrete. The hard cold fact is that unless you have a FFL, you need a dealer for transfers. If your local dealers are misinformed, they have you by the testicles. If there is only one or two dealers in your area, you don't sh*t in your nest by telling them off or that they don't know what they're doing. How's that going to help matters?

In the meantime, here's the answer I just received from the ATF website:

I have received a letter from the ATF stating it is indeed legal to own a receiver marked "For Government / Law Enforcement / Export Only."   I wrote them in Jan. of this year, and received a letter back in April.  This was of course about owning the receiver only, and assembling it into a "post-ban" configuration.  So simply stated you can own a stripped receiver today that is marked that way.  But, like everyone else has stated, in five days it won't make a simgle bit of difference what the ATF says, because there will be no more law about "assault" weapons!

Here is a copy of the letter:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24971" data-featherlight="image" target="_blank">photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24971" />]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top