Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 12:34:57 PM EDT
I want to build an AR15 pistol. Specifically I want to use the Olympic arms OA93 upper, 6.5 inch barrel. My question is what lower is legal to put that upper on? I found some Hesse Arms "Registered as a Pistol Lowers" for sale (Made of Kevlar). I assume I need a registered as pistol Lower or will a preban rifle lower do?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just so you know there is a legal discussion forum in the General Boards Area.

As far as your question goes, I believe the biggest problem with building a pistol like you want is that they have to stay under a certain weight. You will need a lower that is registered as a pistol. I don't recall all the specifics but I am sure someone will come along with all the details for you.

Edited to say, Welcome! [beer]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, anyone got the rest of the info I need?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I noticed that the "SEARCH" button dissappeared again.........
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs to be under 50 ounces.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the federal law what on what is an AR15 pistol.

You could make an AR15 pistol if:

First you take the qualifier:
semiautomatic pistol - an ability to accept detachable mag and has at least 2 of --

Then add [b]one[/b] item, and in the case of the AR15 pistol the magazine being outside of the pistol grip is your one option.

It could not have:
A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer or a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned.

And the entire pistol would have to weigh in at
49 ounces unloaded.

You can buy any AR15 lower BRAND NEW and have the FFL put it on his books as a pistol lower.
There is no need to "register" one.

If you want an AR15 pistol with all of the goodies you will need to buy a preban AR15 pistol or make the magazine a permanant part of the lower.

Don't ask me how that coule be done and be considered legal by the ATF.

Semiautomatic assault weapon.
[url]http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_27/27cfr178_00.html[/url]

c) A [b]semiautomatic pistol[/b] that has an ability to accept a [b]detachable magazine[/b] and has at least 2 of --

(1) An [b]ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip[/b],

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer,

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned,

(4) A [b]manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded[/b], and

(5) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
If you had a pre-ban registered as a pistol lower then you'd be in business.

A pre-ban rifle lower won't work because then you'd have a short barreled rifle.  (You might be able to register the gun as an SBR though)
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Since the question was asked I was wondering is the 50oz weight restriction for the core gun or is that the total weight of the gun and of the accessories like a scope.

Let's say my unloaded pistol weighed in at 48oz without any type of optics. I was wondering if I am unable to add a red dot scope to the pistol because the pistol weight would be over 50oz.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Any idea of my chances of finding a preban pistol lower and where.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top