Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2007 5:50:04 AM EDT
I'm gonna stock up on this as much as I can so is one considered (LC or Winchester ) to be better than the other in reliability and velocity ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Your question has been raised on this board before (once by me). Winchester and Lake City should be making M855 to the same specifications. A few ARFCOM members have commented that the Winchester ammo seemed a tad "hotter" than the LC. Of course, that assessment means little without chrono data. Maybe someone out there has done this...

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now, the question is not which one is better, the question is can you find either one available at a decent price?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Right now, the question is not which one is better, the question is can you find either one available at a decent price?

Define "decent".
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The late production (04 and up) LC has a tendency to be on the hot (unsafe at times, HP White reports 60K+ PSI) side. The WCC tends to be as inaccurate as crap for the contract ammo. 88 headstamp +/- 4 years is running from 3-12 MOA from a test rig. Unfortunately, I've got more of the '88 era stuff than anything else. LMG fodder, at best.

I'd say get post-98 WCC (at some wacky price), or pre-04 LC (at some wacky price).

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can get Olin/Winchester 119 or855 with a current 05 or later headstamp, it's the same thing as LC. The Govt. finally caught on to the fact that small arms ammo consumption was stripping production, and contracted with factories other than LC; which is now run by Federal. Winchester/Olin, and Remington have both been contracted to produce ammo along with Federal Cartridge aside from LC. We've been purchasing ammo from the UK, and IMI for over year to make up for the shortage. Rumor has it, that Fiocchi has also been contracted; I don't know if this is Fiocchi U.S.A. in MO, or Fiocchi Italy which produces Mil_spec Nato ammo already (see earlier question by me). The Tula (Wolf) factory has been contracted, and has turned it's production almost entirely to the production od Mil-Spec 7.62x39 for the Iraqi guards training. This is why ouy supply of ammo has largely dried up..BLAME IRAN. NUKe the bastards, and let  us have some ammo; we have plenty of Nukes for which I have no personal need.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Define "decent".

what you can afford
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Either if fine.
Buy what ever is newer if you are going to store it.
Buy what ever is cheaper if you are going to shoot it right away.

All things being equal, I would pick Lake City.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
i have shot both and they seem the same to me, neither has ever given me a problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
i like the winchesters
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top