Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/30/2002 4:26:21 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I've been shooting my ARs with mini-Y comp for 8 months now. With a hearing protection, I thought it is quite okay in terms of muzzle rise reduction and "looks".

It is last Saturday when I went to the range to blast some Q3131A and SA ammo I realized why some people here on AR15.com are so selective about pre-ban rifles. I saw the flash suppressor in action. Puff - a LOT less noise without hearing protection, almost no flash visible, and also no back blast, less smoke redirected.

I knew I had to get rid of mini-Y comp sooner or later, but now I'm thinking to get rid of this as soon as possible.

I know Kurts Tac Brakes are not designed to do what Gov. A2 birdcage was degisned to do, but I'd like to hear some comparisons between mini-Y comp, A2 birdcage and Kurts Tac brakes in terms of noise and back blast level. After hearing the noise level of flash suppressor, I think I will not be able to use my current mini-Y comped carbine for defensive training(without heavy hearing protections).

I told myself to stop thinking about this since there is a chance that 94" AW BAN will sunset, but I guess I've had enough of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 2:30:42 PM EDT
I just sent a BM AR15 into Wilson's Combat to get their A2 Tac Brake installed in place of the mini Y comp. I usually shoot pre-ban, but bought the BM to check out the M4 configuration. I hated the brake, especially the back blast, to the extent that I was not ever taking it to the range to shoot. I am confident that my new brake's design will fix that problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:10:05 PM EDT
Maverick...I also had a similar problem, I sent my upper to Kurt's the 7th of July to have that loud little Mini-Y comp removed and his A3 comp installed. Looks like an A2 but is longer to get the bbl to 16". Note that he does not save the Mini-Y comp after he removes it and you will not get it back. I haven't got my upper back yet but when I do I'll post a review of how good it looks and how well it shoots on the Kurt's Kustom Firearms forum. He has an excellent reputation and I expect great results both in appearance and function.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:00:24 PM EDT
Thanks to you sir, I'm looking forward to seeing your review
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:16:50 PM EDT
Guys,
There's a new smith on the block now, and not everyone knows about him. Mike at Star Tactical (me223). I sent him my barrel, a Kurts Brake and had it back home in 7 days re-parked and sweet lookin. He now also manufactures post ban brakes himself (a sweet lookin "phantum" clone) Look him up..he's a good guy to deal with.
Top Top