Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2002 4:26:21 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I've been shooting my ARs with mini-Y comp for 8 months now. With a hearing protection, I thought it is quite okay in terms of muzzle rise reduction and "looks".

It is last Saturday when I went to the range to blast some Q3131A and SA ammo I realized why some people here on AR15.com are so selective about pre-ban rifles. I saw the flash suppressor in action. Puff - a LOT less noise without hearing protection, almost no flash visible, and also no back blast, less smoke redirected.

I knew I had to get rid of mini-Y comp sooner or later, but now I'm thinking to get rid of this as soon as possible.

I know Kurts Tac Brakes are not designed to do what Gov. A2 birdcage was degisned to do, but I'd like to hear some comparisons between mini-Y comp, A2 birdcage and Kurts Tac brakes in terms of noise and back blast level. After hearing the noise level of flash suppressor, I think I will not be able to use my current mini-Y comped carbine for defensive training(without heavy hearing protections).

I told myself to stop thinking about this since there is a chance that 94" AW BAN will sunset, but I guess I've had enough of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I just sent a BM AR15 into Wilson's Combat to get their A2 Tac Brake installed in place of the mini Y comp.  I usually shoot pre-ban, but bought the BM to check out the M4 configuration.  I hated the brake, especially the back blast, to the extent that I was not ever taking it to the range to shoot.  I am confident that my new brake's design will fix that problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Maverick...I also had a similar problem, I sent my upper to Kurt's the 7th of July to have that loud little Mini-Y comp removed and his A3 comp installed.  Looks like an A2 but is longer to get the bbl to 16".  Note that he does not save the Mini-Y comp after he removes it and you will not get it back. I haven't got my upper back yet but when I do I'll post a review of how good it looks and how well it shoots on the Kurt's Kustom Firearms forum.  He has an excellent reputation and I expect great results both in appearance and function.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to you sir, I'm looking forward to seeing your review
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys,
There's a new smith on the block now, and not everyone knows about him.  Mike at Star Tactical (me223).  I sent him my barrel, a Kurts Brake and had it back home in 7 days re-parked and sweet lookin.  He now also manufactures post ban brakes himself (a sweet lookin "phantum" clone) Look him up..he's a good guy to deal with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top