Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/2/2012 12:19:06 PM EDT
I am looking for a all purpose gun grease and found this krytox. Is anyone using this? I know it seems a little expensive but the numbers are pretty amazing! I believe you have to have a florinated solvent to remove it though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:33:17 PM EDT
Have you seen the MSDS for it? I don't know about you but I'd rather not have that blown in my face given the hazardous nature of it.

What works great in a clutch might not be what you want in a gas actuated weapon with the breach 6 inches from your face...just saying.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:46:23 PM EDT
Just read the MSDS, Worst case scenario is that you would get polymer fume fever ( It starts to thermal decompose at 600 f). I believe that there fg series of greases is H-1 foof grade certified. In other words There are just as many health risks as any other lubricant ( petroleum oils tend to give a plethora of nasty by products when they decompose)
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2012 1:08:29 PM EDT by wildearp]
Krytox is an excellent hi temp lube. It is used in medical grade vacuum pumps and other items.

I use a product called Sailkote on my mags and inside my upper receiver.

Have you thought about Machine Gunner's Lube? I have a sample I am going to try in a finicky application.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:14:36 PM EDT
I used Krytox and Christolube for o-rings in my mixed gas diving equipment, not in my guns. The AR's get wheel bearing grease or Froglube if it is sandy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2012 1:17:52 PM EDT by Gator57]
Good God man.....$30 for 1/2 ounce???!!!....
Frankly, my rifles just aren't that damn precious.
I use off the shelf grease from the auto parts store along with Mobil1 5w30, and mine run perfectly fine and show very little wear.
Whatever floats your boat, but $60 per oz......damn!!
But to answer your question "Is anyone using this?"...not me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 2:46:42 PM EDT
Im thinking of just using this grease for my carry 1911, What about magnalube? almost the same formula but a little cheaper
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:25:44 PM EDT
for a 1911 just about any NLGI no 2 wheel bearing grease will do just fine.

Look into super lube for a few pennys more.

My uspsa guns only see oil as a lube. A little drippy but works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:37:51 AM EDT
Kind of puts the price of Aeroshell in perspective.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:25:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gator57:
Frankly, my rifles just aren't that damn precious.
I use off the shelf grease from the auto parts store along with Mobil1 5w30, and mine run perfectly fine and show very little wear.
But to answer your question "Is anyone using this?"...not me.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but the mention of Krytox caught my attention. I used to work for DuPont and work at a site that made the Krytox synthetic industrial lubricant. And yes, it is very expensive. Around $600 USD per tube, caulking size that is. About $15K USD for a 5 gallon bucket. It was developed for applications where high resistance to ionizing radiation makes it useful for the aerospace and nuclear industries. It can also withstand extreme pressure and high mechanical stress.

A very specific high performance lubricant to say the least.

Just my $.02!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:29:43 PM EDT
Too expensive. What makes it so expensive?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:25:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mokai:
Originally Posted By Gator57:

Not to resurrect an old thread, but the mention of Krytox caught my attention. I used to work for DuPont and work at a site that made the Krytox synthetic industrial lubricant. And yes, it is very expensive. Around $600 USD per tube, caulking size that is. About $15K USD for a 5 gallon bucket. It was developed for applications where high resistance to ionizing radiation makes it useful for the aerospace and nuclear industries. It can also withstand extreme pressure and high mechanical stress.

A very specific high performance lubricant to say the least.

And at that price it can stay in the aerospace and nuclear industries!!!
Regardless, it isn't anywhere near being necessary to use this in an AR15.
Thanks for jumping in though, it's always good to have someone with inside experience on a topic offer their input.
Top Top