Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2005 11:23:44 AM EDT
What is the barrel life expectency of a target barrel by Krieger 24 in. stainless steel ?  From reading the threads on this board it is clear the stainless steel barrels are more accurate, but shorter life span, whereas chrome lined equals longer life, moderate accuracy.  

What should I pay for a used barrel ?

Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say email [email protected]... I'm pretty sure he'll be able to answer any question you'd have about a Krieger - or any other barrel for that matter.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, you are a big help........
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
New Kriegers are generally $400 +/- a little. I dont know how much a used one would go for. Wes at MSTN spoke to me about barrel life when I got mine. A well maintained barrel that hasnt been over worked, should be somewhere around 20k, but please dont quote me, or him. Thats a total guess from memory.

That is being overly optimistic, IMHO.

Depending on the distances you shoot, the accuracy you expect, etc., etc. barrel life on a Kreiger barrel can be upwards of 5K to 6K. However, this is for highpower competition and use. This is probably a little on the optimistic side as well. In that after it has started to shoot larger groups at longer distances (600 yards and longer) this barrel will more than likely still shoot nice groups at 200 yards or less in highpower competition on a reduced course.

Now, if you are just putting rounds down range with low expectations or need of sub moa accuracy, yes, a Kreiger will still shoot at that round count (20K) but if put on paper at any distance over 75-100 yards will look more like a pattern than a group.

Barrel life is HIGHLY subjective. What may be long life for you, may not be for me and vice versa.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
New Kriegers are generally $400 +/- a little. I dont know how much a used one would go for. Wes at MSTN spoke to me about barrel life when I got mine. A well maintained barrel that hasnt been over worked, should be somewhere around 20k, but please dont quote me, or him. Thats a total guess from memory.

I would agree that 20,000 rounds is possible, but the throat burning out may be an issue. On bolt guns, we just turn the barrel down from the breach end and rechamber to get to "Fresh Lands and Grooves". I don't know what you would do with an AR barrel to achieve this.

I have a few .308's with over 10,000 rounds on them that continue to shoot .5MOA, but I usually turn the barrel down after 5,000 or so rounds.

YMMV

Tack
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello all,

I have a Krieger 22" on my custom AWC M92 .308 that has been with me since 1994.  I now have 14,286 rounds logged STRICTLY with Sierra 168gr BTHP MK.  It has always been slow fired (well except for 2 engagements) and ALWYAS cleaned after EVERY 10 rounds!!  When first received it, it was a true 1/4 MOA gun, now it's opened up to 3/4 MOA as of 13,000+.  Had the throat looked at recently and my gunsmith could not believe how good the throat spec'd out to after sooo many rounds!! As good as it still looked, I have a need for "High Speed", so we though it MIGHT finally be ready for a new axle! This platform was shooting MOA at 600m as of the 13K mark! Wonderful barrel, the best I've owned!!  

Vic
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
High Power shooters seem to relegate their Krieger barreled uppers to practice rifle status at about 5000 rounds; my sister and her cohorts do anyway. Some barrels seem to shoot out quicker and some last longer. Bang for the buck, Bushmaster’s DCM barrel is supposed to tops; less expensive, lasts longer, but not quite as fine as the likes of a Krieger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top