Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 3:59:58 AM EDT
Anyone know the differences between these barrels? I am looking at a Titan 18.5 SS NM Medium barrel to go on my LR. I know Krieger has a good rep. Are these Criterion barrels better than say a factory DPMS barrel?
I also am wondering what length the gas tubes are for there 18.5 inch barrels carbine or rifle length?

Thanks,

AL
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Al,
I've been planning the same as you, and have learned enough in the last month to finally decide what components to choose. In fact, I've already ordered most of my tools for the project. I'm still deciding between an A2 front sight or a fold down sight. Once I got that out of the way, I'll be placing my order with FULTON for their lightweight 18.5 chrome lined.

If you read the Fulton websight, you will see that they say all their 18.5 & 20" barrels are made for rifle length gas tubes. I spoke to the gal their who says these 308 barrels are chambered with the Wylde chambering. This is to enhance accuracy and is what the RRA NM .223 rifles also use.  

I spoke with the folks at Krieger too, and was a bit disappointed with the ridgid "take-it-or-leave-it" demeanor that they offer their 308 DPMS barrel. They only offer it in 20" , and the guy told me it's going to weight about 5 lbs, compared to the Fulton 2.5 lb barrel I'm buying. It seems Krieger will do anything you desire with a barrel for a bolt action sporting rifle (ie; cut length and contour to your choosing), but don't care to give you options with the 308 Panther barrel. When I told him I preferred the barrel be reamed so that the lands be right up against the bullet for accuracy reasons (like with my Remington 700's) he said "Yes, we get that request a lot" I wanted to tell him that "Well geees, then did you ever consider DOING IT!!!     "

The Fulton barrel is advertised as a Krieger "Criterion". When I asked the guy at Krieger about this, he said it is a completely different barrel that is not even made on the same premises along with the other Krieger barrels. So, it may be a company owned by Krieger, but isn't actually the same animal. (Though I don't doubt that it is still a good barrel)

Don't hesitate to call either place. They both are limited in that they only offer what they offer, but they are polite and answer your questions.Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Criterion is Krieger's button rifled division. They are a good quality barrel, whereas the Krieger cut rifled barrels are an excellent quality barrel, one of the best. I would rate Criterion in the same class as Douglas or Wilson, somewhere in the middle of those two.

Cutting the chamber so the rifling just touches or almost touches the bullet will increase chamber pressures and that's why they won't do it. The rifle will shoot great with the standard chamber they use. No modification is needed or wanted.

The lady who claimed their .308's had a Wylde chamber was mistaken. The Wylde chamber is specifically a .223 match chamber invented by Bill Wylde. He has never put his name on a .308 chamber design for the market. She must have mixed her .223/.308 specs up.

Both barrels are good, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment buying either one if it's the contour you want.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If you read the Fulton websight, you will see that they say all their 18.5 & 20" barrels are made for rifle length gas tubes. I spoke to the gal their who says these 308 barrels are chambered with the Wylde chambering. This is to enhance accuracy and is what the RRA NM .223 rifles also use.

I wonder if this is mixed up as well|?

AL
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have fultons 308W/7.62MM, Titan Carbine 18.5" Light Weight Chrome-Moly with Chrome Bore and 1x10 Twist.  I put it on my LR-308 build and it has worked very well, no complaints so far.  Though I am only running irons right now, it has impressed me with its groupings at 50 and 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Silvernightmare,

Is your barrel carbine or rifle length gas ported?

AL
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#6]
cav,

I got disconnected 6 times trying to reach Fulton Friday afternoon to order my barrel. So I sent them a fax to tell them that their phone system was a problem, and I left them my phone number if they wanted to call me so I could order the 18.5" barrel. The gal called me 30 minures later when I had left the house to go to work, and I was still in my driveway. I heard the phone ringing back in the garage, ran into the garage to catch the call knowing it was likely Fulton. Well, I set set off my alarm doing it and had the whole friggin neighborhood wondering what was going on. I asked her to call me back in 5 minutes so I could have time to turn my computer back on and order the barrel from her. She said she wanted to call me back in 15-20 minutes, I asked her to just call me in 5 minutes...... she said " OK" , but she did what she wanted and called me back in 15-20 minutes anyway. I was already in a foul mood, and getting really pissed after 10 minutes of waiting at the phone with credit card in hand, and so I left the house again to go to work!

That whole episode was a bad Omen and makes me wonder if perhaps the Lord will allow me to try again Monday with better luck. If I have problems again Monday, then I'm taking the hint and buying an air-soft!!

Monday, I'll either verify to you about the Fulton chamber and gas tube length, or l'll let you know who has the best prices on an air-soft.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Silvernightmare,

Is your barrel carbine or rifle length gas ported?

AL

It is rifle length.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top