Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2010 5:29:14 PM EDT
Greetings,

Could someone be kind enough to explain the differences in barrels?  The four kinds i'd like to discuss are chrome-moly, stainless steel, chrome lined, and nitro carburized.  I'm mainly concerned with which holds up to the elements better and accuracy.  

How would you rank these in terms of corrosion resistance and accuracy?

Thank you for your time and wisdom.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say SS is the best compromise for extended out door use. It has been proven SS can last as long as regular steel in the vast majority of applications and is just as accurate as any other metal if there is such a thing as accurate metal
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Two books available from your library on inter-library loan are The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page and The Modern Rifle by Jim Carmichel.  They will tell you how barrels are made and why barrel makers choose the steel they use.  

They are older books and will not have much on nitro carburized and other metal treatments.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrome-moly (chromoly, chromo...) is a barrel material.  Chrome-lined is an interior barrel material.  From what I understand, chrome-lined barrel are more resistant to corrosion, fouling, and have longer lives if not abused.

For instance, the barrel on the Spikes I just ordered is made of 4150 chromoly AND is chrome lined.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top