Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 10:22:25 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I have been reading information on this site for weeks now.  I have handled several ARs and have made some decisions.

I know I want a A4gery (A2 stock with 20" barrel).  Beyond that is where I have questions.

I'm unsure of the rate of twist for the barrel.  I see 1/9 most frequently and 1/7 occasionally.  I do have some desire to shoot the heavier grained bullets 68g+.  However, I'm not really sure I would considering how cheap the other surplus is.  I don't like to buy guns though and then buy something else later to do what I want to do.  What should I look for 1/9 or 1/7?

Also, this gun will be used for the following: Target (no longer than 300m), plinking out at the farm, and self-defense at home should the need arise.

I am planning to get the KAC RAS M5 as a rail system.  I tried to search but didn't get much about it.  Is it respected?  Are there better options?  

Thanks in advance.  I can't wait to get my first AR!!!

Brett
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot anything you wish with the 1:7, so it is a fine choice.

Go with whatever rail makes you happy, much of it is personal choice as there are plenty of good ones out there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushy often has 20" 1:7 twist barrels with the lighter 'govt' profile in stock.  One of these would fill your requirements nicely.

The KAC M5 is a nice piece of gear, but be aware it adds weight (16.6oz worth) and doesn't free float the barrel.  If you wan't your A4gery to look authentic the M5 is what you need.

If you just want the utility of the M5, then look at the Daniels Defense 12.0.  You'll save a few ounces and get a free floated barrel out of the deal for the same cost.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bushy often has 20" 1:7 twist barrels with the lighter 'govt' profile in stock.  One of these would fill your requirements nicely.

I built an A4 out of one of there bbls and LOVE it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/donovan007007/newbie.jpg

I believe I speak for everyone when I say...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top