Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 11:08:55 PM EDT
OK, this gun has been through three phases. First phase is how I bought it, just pretty plain with the TAO1nsn and Houge grip...

After that, I changed the stock, put an old GG&G MAD site I had on another rifle, an RAS II and Knights front grip and a Surefire M962SU. You can really see the purple finish on the lower in this one too.

OK, now its done. I got the lower reanodized black, added a Knights 600M BUIS, Knights stock extention quick detatch sling attachment, quick detach front sling attachment, CQB Solutions three point sling, MAgpuls Ergo Grip and Dieter CQD grip.

I tell you what, I REALLY, REALLY like the sling and the attachments. Total top quality and easy to use. A major MAJOR improvement over what I had previously. The Surefire pressure pad fits into the recess of the Dieter grip almost like it was made to. Well, oh yeah, thats right... it was! It is large and solid, has waterproof storage and is great to use!

The sling attachments are hot! Very innovative, easy to use, and on top of all that, usefull. Same for the sling. With a quick detach buckle and extention strap, its easy to throw the rifle behind you, or get rid of it all together if slung up!

I'll say this about the Knights 600M. I think it is the most precise of the BUIS's I have. Very precise adjustment. I like it better than the GG&G MAD I have, but not as much as my #40. I like it better than the Knights 300M's I have used too. The RAS II is sweet. Very low profile and does not change the overall profile of the gun.

OK, hope you enjoyed this. I know I loved building it and getting it back after having it in pieces for two weeks while the lower was away being re-anodized.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That gun looks like it's worth more than my car..
well most stuff is worth more than my car
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I WANT![:P]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!

How do you like that Surefire setup compared to say the Surefire M900 (I think)?  The Surefire vertical grip integrated combo thing with quick detach-ability for lack of a better term [:D]

What exactly is so precise about the Knights 600m compared to an ARMS #40?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You think that is a better sling than a onepointer like this?
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292180975&signin_cookie_sent=1[/url]

Why?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You think that is a better sling than a onepointer like this?
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292180975&signin_cookie_sent=1[/url]

Why?
View Quote

Im running pretty close to the same thing these days.  It gets the sling off the buttstock (a major aid in smooth shouldering) just like the single point while providing some support to the heavy front portion of the gun (less flopping around).
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice weapon Neil, I really like the black reanodized finish over the original purple. It looks like a colt now! [%|]

[:D]

Dirk
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#7]
You refinished a rare purple Bushy? [>Q]

Doesn't anybody appreciate the classics anymore? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you like the Dieter front grip over the KAC?

Nice setup btw.

--LS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
SWEET !!!! Very SWEET !!!! I Want One Too !!!! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Where did you get the Knight's stock extension quick detach sling attachment that fits on the front portion of the tube of the collapsible stock? I have only seen the ones for the fixed stock. I looked at both Knight's and MSTN's website and only found the front swivel attachment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
new-arguy, well done !!  I especially like the vertical grip/pressure pad combo - didn't know such a set-up existed.  Now where did you source  the Dieter grip ??
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#12]
5s5 et al,

Looks like new-arguy has been getting to know MSTN alot latley...

Just a guess.
--LS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
5s5 et al,

Looks like new-arguy has been getting to know MSTN alot latley...

Just a guess.
--LS
View Quote

I'm guessing yours is a HIGHLY accurate guess !!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
AR,
That is one of the best looking rifles I have seen.

BTW: I noticed your NSN has the National Stock Number cast in on the left side mine does not. Wonder why?

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#15]
while its no ak-74, thats a sweet looking gal you got there. nice job arguy[banana]
john
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Was it just the camera, or did the gun really look that purple in real life? I was under the impression that BM rifles sometimes had a [i]slight[/i] purple tent. That looked almost intentional. I'm surprised that it got out the door if it looked that purple in real life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
That is a very nice looking setup.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
If this is a new Rifle, how can you legally have a tele-scoping stock mounted on there?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
BTW: I noticed your NSN has the National Stock Number cast in on the left side mine does not. Wonder why?
View Quote

I'm guessing that yours was mfg before they changed their forging die to include the NSN on the side.

The newer TA01s have the NSN's also since they are forged from the same die.

[And BTW] Sweet new-arguy, real sweet!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Neil,

With the RAS II, can you still fit an ARMS #19S and #40 on the flattop?  I've been debating on whether or not I should wait for the URX...

-Troy
View Quote

I am waiting for the URX.  Like to get one with a Diemaco barrel.  I just can't wait...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
When is the URX coming out and how big of an improvement is it over the RAS II or the SIR?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If this is a new Rifle, how can you legally have a tele-scoping stock mounted on there?
View Quote

Its a preban Bushy.  He just had it refinished.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When is the URX coming out and how big of an improvement is it over the RAS II or the SIR?
View Quote

Yep - same question ??
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Troy, thats the stock TA51 mount, he isnt using an ARMS product. Are you OK Neil? Thats not an ARMS mount!!!

Why the forward grip? This isnt exactly a CQB weapon.

Nice setup anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]
new-arguy, Nicely done sir.  I think I have rifle envy!  [>(]

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#27]
new-arguy, nice setup!  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow, holy smokes, loads of questions here. Thanks for all your interest folks...

I'll try to take it one at a time.

The gun is worth probably more than my car too, dont sweat it!

The Surefire M900 is my hands down absolute favorite. Put it this way, my other gun, the ARMS gun, that has all of my absolute FAVORITE gear on it. But I like some other stuff nearly as much. Thats the stuff thats on this rifle.

I've never run a single point sling so I cant really comment on how it is compared to one. I will be getting one for my lightweight gun though. Maybe then I can say if I like this sling more than a single point. All I can tell you now is this sling is pretty beast.

I like the Dieter grip MUCH better than the Knights. At first, my only front grip was a Surefire M900. I think it spoiled me rotton. When I eventually wanted another grip, I got the Knights. When I got it in the mail, I felt like saying "where's the rest of it?". The Dieter grip, in my opinion, is only second to the M900. And its a close second. Aside from these two, nothing else comes even close. Including the Knights grip.

Someone knows Wes and his gear pretty well! Most of the new gear came from Wes and Paul over at [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url]. Awesome folks to deal with, FAST service and shipping. I got the Knights 600m site off the equpiment exchange here, the TAO1nsn I have had for years. I got it from [url=www.sableco.net]SABLE Co.[/url], the Surefire I got used from a friend, the Ergo Grip Rich gave me at the Shot Show for loaning him my M900 for a display gun. Aside from that, the RAS II, front and rear Knights QD sling mounts, Sling and forward grip are all from MSTN. When I knew what I wanted, I called up Wes, made the order and had all the stuff in a couple days. I must say I almost choked when I saw the bill for a sling, fromt grip and sling mounts. But as happy as I am this the set up, I cant complain!

The gun didnt REALLY look THAT purple in real life. I just used mega bright lights to take the picture which really made it stand out.

TROY, I purchased an ARMS #19S for this gun. When I got it I mounted it. There's room to fit is all, no problem. However, I plain just didnt really like the way it looked. The #19S has some grooves in the front and back. The rear groove will fit right over the #40, but the front froove just looks a little weird when pushed up against the bridge on the RAS II. This is PURELY cosmetic, but I just didnt like it. So I stuck with the TA55 mount on this gun. In my eyes, it just flows better. I put the ARMS #19S on the SIR gun. Even though it puts my ACOG up a little higher, I like it there much better.

Yeah, the gun is a preban Bushy.

Combat_Jack, I never said there was an ARMS mount on this gun. Troy just asked if an ARMS mount would fit. Your right, with the free float barrel, TAO1nsn and 600M BUIS site, this isnt really a CQB weapon. However, I have found shooting with a forward grip very comfortable. It also allows me to avoid touching the aluminum rails of the RAS II and allows me to remove the pannels. I am considering removing all the pannels to increase airflow and cooling. We'll see.

Bushmaster reccomended PC of Titusville do the reanodizing. Turnaround was about a week. Price was very reasonable and it turned out great. Almong with this gun, I sent a couple of my friends pre-ban (grey) Colt lowers. These Colts habe Bushmaster uppers on them and sported a two tone grey/black look between upper and lower. They came back matching very well and everyone is happy!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Good looking carbine.  Well done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Cool.
Do you have a phone number or address for the guys who re-anodized the receiver?
Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top