Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2005 2:49:25 PM EDT
I'm looking for some information on the Knights Armament Corp and the SR-25 in particular.

Is/was the SR-25 purchased by the Navy?  From what I gather the SR-25 started production before the modern AR10, is this correct?  Are they still production the SR-25?  If not, what years was the production?  Are they going to produce more in the near future?

Anyone owned/shot both the SR-25 and the AR-10?  If so, what are your thoughts on how the two compare?

Oh, any pics of the SR-25 would be appreciated.  I have not found to many decent pics of them online.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for production, but I'm almost positive they're still going. My company just bought a few. A lot of people are using them currently in the sand box.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes the SR25 is still in production. The model that the US Navy and Spec Ops in general are purchasing is the Mk11 Mod0. The Mk11 can be had but it ain't cheap at $5300 for just the rifle and $8000+ for the system.
The SR25 was in production before the modern AR10 with pre-ban varients being out there. Knights is supposed to offer them for sale again in the near future though the wait is going to be a year + long. So far Knights has been swamped with Gov't contracts and isn't offering much of anything lately. If you want one your best bet is to look for a nice used one preferably of recent manufacture.
I just got an SR25 Lightweight Match that I sold my G.A. Precision AR10 for. I'll be sending this off to G.A. Precision to upgrade it to Mk11 Mod0 specs. Generally speaking, if you take the accuracy of a SR25 Match (24" bbl) and an AR10T, they are both pretty comparable in accuracy. Of course, the SR25 is about $1500 more than an AR10T. Is the SR25 worth that much more than an AR10T? No, probably not but the pride in owning something that not many people have or you don't see everyday is worth it to me. In my case, I also collect military precision rifles. A Mk11 Mod0 (or clone) will fit better in my collection  than an AR10 and will look nice with my Mk12 Mod0, Mk12 Mod1 and USMC DMR.
I'll try and get pics up for you in the next couple of days before I send it off. For more info you can check out www.SR25.com and www.knightarmco.com.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Any differences in reliability between the AR10 and SR25?  Seems like Armalite is much better at supply replacement parts than the KAC but I read the SR25 has more parts interchangable with the AR15.  I came across a few thread of people having problems with their AR10s, but I realize a lot more people are using them.  Is one system inherently better than the other?

What preban features are found on the SR25?  Flash hider and higher capacity magazine?  Were any sold during the AWB to LE with preban features?

I ran across a post somewere to try and find a SR25 made in 2001 or later.  What changed?

Thanks for the info guys and I would love to see some pics Lawman.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I think both are reliable rifles. You do have the occasional problems with both (feeding/extracting problems with the AR10, tight chambers on the SR25) but most have been fixed. Armalite's customer service is definetely better than KAC just because at least you'll talk to somebody at Armalite and they have their parts for sale. KAC on the other hand won't release hardly any parts and it's a royal pain to talk to anybody. You are right though, alot of AR15 parts do work in an SR25.
It depends what rifle you get because there were several preban SR25's. The SR25 Sporter had a flash suppressor and bayonet lug. The SR25K had a collapsing stock as well as a F/S and bayo lug. The SR25 Matches that were preban had a threaded gas block to allow for a proprietory Knights suppressor. I'm not aware of any LEO marked SR25's. Preban mags are out there, but they arent cheap at about $120 a piece. 10 and 5 rnd mags arent much better. It's safe to say that when it comes to the SR25 and KAC parts for it-everything isn't cheap.
It's recommended to get an SR25 made in 2001 or later as by then Knights was adding the lessons learned from developing the Mk11 Mod0 into all SR25's and the rifle most likely has a Remington 5R barrel at the least in it. A few were released within the past few years though with Obermeyer and even Accuracy International barrels in them. Older SR25's had a mix of barrels used and you can't be to sure of what you'd get. Also the quality control is better on the newer ones with less liklihood of problems.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top