Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 6:33:30 PM EDT
New to AR15.Com
How do Model1Sales stack up as a kit supplier?

Thanks
1NEVYCHIEF-RET
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Personnally I have not used a Model 1 kits, but the general opinions that I have read are favorable for Model 1.  
I have used Rock River and J&T and have been happy with both of these companies.  
With Rock River yo will order the upper you want and then a lower parts kit and a stock of your chosing.  They do not lump them all together and call it a kit as the others.
Good luck with what you chose.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They get good reviews from their customers generally. What I really like is that they offer chrome-lining as an option with almost all of their barrels . I HAVE heard something about the materials in their charging handles being 'soft', but it might be anecdotal so don't take my word for it.

The other two big kit providers are M&A parts and J&T Distributing, who also have similarly good reviews. Personally I think the kits are the best value ARs out on the market today.

IM me if you have any questions, I am kind of an expert on newbie questions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
After comparing products/prices with M1S, M&A, and J&T, I then spent a few nights reading through old threads on M1S and found enough positive notes to influence me to order from them. My first build was put together with all RRA parts and I was extremely pleased with how well it went together and the quality of the parts. I have been wanting the M4 look and the ban ending pushed me over. I ordered a M4A3 kit from M1S last Wednesday and I received it that Friday. I have not shot it yet, but I am pleased with it so far. I mounted it to the RRA lower I already had, because my Ameetech has yet to arrive. It mated up nicely with the RRA lower.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no experience with Model 1 sales.

I can tell you that both J&T Distributing and Rock River Arms "kits" are great.  If you buy from either, you will be happy.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about a kit from model 1 sales. But when I saw this thread I decided it wasn't worth it. Great job Model 1. Customer service to me means just as much as quality of parts. I will be going with someone else though I haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was thinking about a kit from model 1 sales. But when I saw this thread I decided it wasn't worth it. Great job Model 1. Customer service to me means just as much as quality of parts. I will be going with someone else though I haven't decided yet.

Are you kidding? I can post anything on here, would you let me influence your decision?  What if I said Model 1 was great? Most people really like Model 1 and a couple of people don't. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I'd hardly let one persons experience completely change my mind.

Do a poll and there would be someone that hates Bushmaster, Colt, RRA, Model 1, M&A, J&T, DPMS, LMT, Sherluk, ASA(bad example on ASA, everybody hates them) but anyway you get my point. I wouldn't let one persons perceived bad experience with Model 1 make me rule them out especially since there are so many more that have had positive experiences with Model 1.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding? I can post anything on here, would you let me influence your decision?  What if I said Model 1 was great? Most people really like Model 1 and a couple of people don't. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I'd hardly let one persons experience completely change my mind.

Do a poll and there would be someone that hates Bushmaster, Colt, RRA, Model 1, M&A, J&T, DPMS, LMT, Sherluk, ASA(bad example on ASA, everybody hates them) but anyway you get my point. I wouldn't let one persons perceived bad experience with Model 1 make me rule them out especially since there are so many more that have had positive experiences with Model 1.

M1S has a history of crappy customer service.  This goes back to their gunshow only days as a different company.  I wouldn't let ONE person's opinon influence me (unless I *really* respected and trusted that person) but you start seeing enough people with similar experiences, then you're an idiot if you don't start thinking that there might be a REASON for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed, but I think the general concensus is that Model 1 makes good kits. I've been doing a lot of checking on Model 1 here because I'm considering their kit and it seems like for every 20 positive comments there is maybe one negative. I don't have a strong feeling about Model 1 one way or the other, I just like facts and I haven't seen enough negative Model 1 facts to rule them out especially considering they have the best prices in town.

I could be wrong and I hope I find out for sure in the next few weeks before I order mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I could be wrong and I hope I find out for sure in the next few weeks before I order mine.

I hope you don't find out how bad they can be. I have heard alot better things about other companies than to risk bad service with Model 1 Sales. Hope your experience with them is good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]
i just built a model 1, ar kit.  the only problem i have is when the gun was sighted in i was only 6 clicks from the right side.  i called them on it (as i intend to put on a scope also), and they were aware of a batch of front sight that were slightly off center.  he said i could retun the barrel if i wanted.  but as long as the scope would sight in i was content
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
New to AR15.Com
How do Model1Sales stack up as a kit supplier?

Thanks
1NEVYCHIEF-RET

Model 1 Sales = Sherluck = Nesard (and possibly = M & A Sales, just look at the address)
Bought some parts from them at a Gunshow probably 10 years ago.  Were highly offended when I tried to ascertain who had actually made the parts, after the sale of course.  The upper receiver was O.K. but none of the lower parts ever worked quite right.
It's your call Chief.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Model 1 Sales = Sherluck = Nesard (and possibly = M & A Sales, just look at the address)

Now thats something I haven't heard before. They are both in Il but M & A has an actual physical address listed and Model 1 Sales has a P.O Box listed albiet another city. But thats the first time I heard that they might be one in the same.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm personally not a big fan of kits (anybody's). You may save a few bucks but who knows what kind of parts you are getting? It's not that hard or drastically more expensive to just spec out your own rifle\carbine and start from there. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered a 5.56  Model 1 CAR kit and when i got it i found it was a .223 kit and had what appeared to be a cast reciver, either that or the manufactuer of the reciever just sucked. On top of that, there cust service ranks below what I would consider poor.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now thats something I haven't heard before. They are both in Il but M & A has an actual physical address listed and Model 1 Sales has a P.O Box listed albiet another city. But thats the first time I heard that they might be one in the same.

A whopping 7 or 8 miles from each other if I remember correctly, I used to live in the Chicago-land area.
Both of them and Sherluck were in business at one time, and all 3 had ads in SGN, w/ separate addresses of course.  
Break out yer tinfoil hats buds. This is all speculation, but I believe the reason they do this is simply false competition.
Their prices are all pretty much the same and lower than anyone elses.  But say you were undecided about who to buy from and heard some bad feedback about one of them, you would almost surely be inclined to take your purchase to the other.  Just my own little conspiracy theory.

If my own experience with them along with those of others were a little bit better and if they were able to tell me exactly who made what in my kit.  They would be the place to get your generic AR kits.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Like I said. I never heard that theory before. I have never lived anywhere close to Il much less Chicago land. So I don't know how far apart they are.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
boy a lot of model 1 bashers, hmmm

as for the triggers, they are nice quality, feel as good as a bushy/colt/arm, and appear to be well made

the uppers are all forged, model 1 does not use cast parts

forged fron sight bases, and good barrels

i have never had a problem with the charging handle

never have had a canted front site post either
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Model 1 kit with a RRA lower. I can't say enough about it. It shoots better, and has fewer problems than my uncles Colt.  But, then again, I am a little more anal when it comes to cleaning my rifle. I guess the military instilled this in me. In short, Model 1 kits are as good as any.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Like I said. I never heard that theory before. I have never lived anywhere close to Il much less Chicago land. So I don't know how far apart they are.

Someone could find out who their websites are registered to, that may or may not confirm this.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top