Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 5:50:35 PM EDT
So after reading these boards for a few months I decided to buy my first AR-15. I dont have much money to spare so I thought I would build it myself. I have ordered a forged Olympic Arms lower and want to build a 16" with A2 stock. Since I dont have much money I thought I would go ahead and buy the lower reciver parts kit and stock, put them together so it would be ready when I got an upper later. I priced the parts, about $55 for lower parts kit, $55 for complete buttstock assembly, $385 for complete upper with bolt and charging handle, for a total of about $500 dollars. I then saw I could buy a kit from the same company for $400. Why does it cost so much more to buy the parts separately? Is there any way to buy the parts separatly for the same price as a kit? I have looked at both Olympic and Model 1 kits.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the idea is like a package, they make up a standard package and give the buyer a package price discount.  It's a lot more expensive to sell individual parts, packaging and handling of the parts, you might relate it to building a car by ordering the parts, the individual parts for a $20,000 car would probably cost $40-50,000.

What is really surprising is that we can build a rifle for about $500 that would easily cost $700 to $900 already assembled.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is really surprising is that we can build a rifle for about $500 that would easily cost $700 to $900 already assembled.
View Quote

If you add up the smiths time to build, then test fire the weapon, and the FFL tax on a completed weapon that must be payed, the kit with receiver price would be the same price as if you bought a complete rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top