Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2003 8:54:39 PM EDT
This preban came from the factory in the early 90's as a 16" Hbar with A1 teardrop upper, A2 grip, and an old plastic "Fiberite" collapsing stock.  I felt it was time for an update, and was inspired most by photos posted here by AK_Mike and Duffy.  

Before all the green, slim and bi-level SIRs came out, I planned on this using a 45M.  I had Pete/Legal Transfers barrel it specifically without a delta ring assembly.  Then all the newer SIRs (which are all "C" models now) and the RAS-II came out, which caused a change in plans.   So I obtained the delta stuff and Duffy and I disassembled/reassembled the upper for RAS-II compatibility.

Just about all the accesories came from MSTN, while the TA11 was bought here on the EE.

The KAC receiver end plate just wouldn't fit in the receiver's little dimple.  Not twisting, not with a mallet, and not on two Colts I had lying around.  I filed it down a little and touched up the finish, and everything worked out
fine.

The KAC heavy-duty quick detachable mounts are much beefier than the Uncle Mike's that came with my Vltor stock:

The grip came from Bowers Tactical.

And all together, waiting to be sighted in:

I originally tried the 3-pt SOP sling mounted like this, but it caused the weapon to tip out away from my body too much.  Mounting the sling to the rear Vltor location was much more usable and more comfortable.  I might get another KAC QD mount and put a HRT sling on it, so I can pop that in the receiver end plate and remove the SOP when the need arises.

One mod I did to the Vltor was to black out the sling mounting hole.  The silver circle just stood out too much for my tastes.  The Aluminum Black stuff just wouldn't "stick", so I cleaned it up and just used a permanent Sharpie marker.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Kisara, Schweet!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!  You suck, btw!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful.

You like the KAC single point?  It dug into the top of my thumb without mercy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Suh-weet!  I must now attempt to one up you.  Excuse me while I place a call to MSTN...

P.S.  the Vltor stock I just got included the KAC swivels instead of Uncle Mike's.  Classy.

Also, if the swivel at the midpoint bothers your hand, try using the KAC QD Eyelet and an HK hook on the sling.  That sling you picture has an end loop small enough to fit the Hk snap hook.

Kisara, I just LOVE that first pic, that is what a really cool rifle kit should look like, a kit not for the tight of budget, but for the high class big money spending discriminator.  I also noticed the KAC single point did not fit my M16 very well, had to whack it in.  Was worse trying to remove it, should have filed it like you did rather than damage my M16 - though I figure no one could see the minor damage.

I'll bet you are loving that TA-11.

Last edit, I am now trying to use your first picture as my wallpaper.  It's just too cool, as is the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice pics kisara!  I'm about to start building another upper and was thinking about taking some pics to have for those newbie questions that occasionally pop up.

curt
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
P.S.  the Vltor stock I just got included the KAC swivels instead of Uncle Mike's.  Classy.

View Quote

Does KAC actually manufacture the swivels?  I have and early Vltor w/ the small button, and a later one w/ the large as well.  I figured UM just had an upgrade.

Excellent carbine, btw.  With the TA11 that far back, do you have any issues with not enough eye relief?  How far out do you run your stock?  Most rifles I have seen mount the 11 farther forward due to the long eye relief.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Very, very nice!  Excellent pics!

I'm really starting to like those KAC QD endplates!  I wonder why it wouldn't fit your lower without filing it?

Great job, make sure to post arange report!

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
[hail2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Does KAC actually manufacture the swivels?  I have and early Vltor w/ the small button, and a later one w/ the large as well.  I figured UM just had an upgrade.

View Quote

BSBG-

I wondered the same thing. When I got my first Vltor rifle stock, back in April, it came with a smaller, 1-inch sling swivel. Later, in July, I bought a carbine modstock and it came with the large button 1 1/4-inch "KAC style" sling swivel. At first I was mad and wondered WTF, so I called Vltor. According to them, all the mentioned sling swivels are made by Uncle Mike's. All new Vltor stocks have the larger KAC style sling swivels. Also, Vltor sells just the sling swivels if desired, which I did. If I remember correctly, the big sling swivels sell for $13 or $14 dollars.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Nice. Real Nice! [^]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, I like it a lot. Im building a new rifle now myself, and am in hot pursuit of a TA11 for it, but I just bought a new vehicle and man, now I dont know when it will be done. Your pictures has me DYING to get it done. Looks like I'm going to have to sell something!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wanted to post again and say how cool I think that rifle is! [;)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
looks like it is a 14.5" with a perm attached phantam flash hider not a 16" right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With the TA11 that far back, do you have any issues with not enough eye relief?  How far out do you run your stock?
View Quote

I like running the stock around the middle, so I run the TA11 foward just one notch from what you see in the pic.  For photos, it looks better all the way back because the curvy shape of the 19S and the 40A2 fit like a jigsaw puzzle.

Quoted:
looks like it is a 14.5" with a perm attached phantam flash hider not a 16" right?
View Quote

That's correct, with a RRA upper.  The original Bushmaster A1/16"Hbar is on a coworker's rifle now.   The only mods I did to the barrel was to run 3 quick passes with a Dremel to one side of the handguard retaining cap, as it was just barely touching the RAS-II.  It was so minuscule that you had to actually hold it up to light to see that it was touching.   I also popped out the factory sling swivel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Kisara,
Very nice.

Can you tell me if the Tango Down Battle Grip will hold 3 DL-123 batteries as well as two Aimpoint batts?

I have a Surefire M-900A grip light that takes 3 DL-123 batts and I like the TDBG, but I need it to hold 3.

Thanks,
Mario_FAMOInc
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
... Looks like I'm going to have to sell something!
View Quote

Don't sell anything, you'll just regret it later.

Steve.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice! [^]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Very, VERY nice Kisara!

I'm getting ready to do the same with one of my preban lowers.  How do you like the RRA 14.5" upper so far?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#21]
M4arc, seriously man, your avitar creeps me out.

[shock]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Very nice rifle, excellent choice on the Ta11.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
M4arc, seriously man, your avitar creeps me out.

[shock]
View Quote

[LOLabove]

I've been trying different ones but based on your reaction I may stick with this one. [;)]

If someone can name the album & artist that it's from I'll send them a 30 round mag (only to states where it's legal).

Let the games begin!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]
It's from Tool's Lateralus album, isn't it?

-Cap'n

BTW, very nice build. Why'd ya pick the M952 over a 9V light?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's from Tool's Lateralus album, isn't it?
View Quote

Cap'n wins!  Email me your address.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Really nice rifle there, Kisara.

-Zmeja (Snake)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top