Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2016 8:01:50 PM EDT
Many years ago I started an upper with a short barrel and an A2 front sight base right behind the forend cap.  I half finished it and then tossed it in a box.  Recently someone posted a pic in the Odd AR thread and showed a gun built like that.  I remembered my oddball upper in the box and decided to finish it.  

Here's a pic of my upper almost finished.  Mine is different, being built like a dissipator style with a gas block behind the A frame.

Problem is, I can't find what model this is.  Help please.

I'm not sure if it will stay like this or if I will modernize it with a flattop upper and fixed rear sight and a new forend.  The A1 upper was set for another project that is still up in the air.

thanks

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I...what...that is damned interesting!

I say leave it on the carry handle because that looks crazy neat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you thinking of this guy?

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The Knights is where the A1 upper is going, except I'm doing it in .22 and suppressed.

This is the posted picture I copied.  The poster, Dodge223, said it was from the retro forum but I can't find a thread with it in it.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Neat. Ive built something like that with triangles. Very Lafrance'sh

Pistol ARs are kind of odd to me. Very loud low velocity barrels.. Even powder puff reloads don't help...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very Lafrance'sh
View Quote

That's the first thing that popped up in my mind.  But I don't recognize it in all the photos of Tim's work that I've seen.  It sure looks like something you'd see in a 80's Soldier of Fortune magazine.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I kind of thought that too.  No real idea.

Thanks for the help.
Brad
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Knights is where the A1 upper is going, except I'm doing it in .22 and suppressed.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/Dodge223/Arfcom/2A70BC44-AF89-4AAB-BC7B-361A376A05B6_zpsnspddtn5.jpg

This is the posted picture I copied.  The poster, Dodge223, said it was from the retro forum but I can't find a thread with it in it.  Oh well.
View Quote

I like that bayonet. Any specs or history on it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The picture was from here.  Looks like it must have been archived.  It was called "latest form 4 acquisitions" or something like that.

I was waiting for the OP to post more info on the gas tube.  It looked like it had a section of larger diameter steel tubing soldered or brazed in.  The guy who came up with it was from a movie prop gun company in NY I think.  Checked their site at the time but couldn't find anything on the upper.  OPs mailbox was full so I couldn't get more info.

Does look somewhat LaFrance ish.  It's got me wanting to do a retro PDW with a LWRC short buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The archived thread

I was sent this by Dodge223 and shows more pics of the gun in question and answers a few questions.  I finally shot my upper and it's way overgassed so it will get a heavy buffer in the lower or an adjustable gas block after the holidays.

This is definitely a unique upper.  Now to see if I want to SBR a lower for it or run it as a pistol for a while.

Thanks for the help

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top