Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/12/2016 7:01:50 PM EST
Many years ago I started an upper with a short barrel and an A2 front sight base right behind the forend cap. I half finished it and then tossed it in a box. Recently someone posted a pic in the Odd AR thread and showed a gun built like that. I remembered my oddball upper in the box and decided to finish it.

Here's a pic of my upper almost finished. Mine is different, being built like a dissipator style with a gas block behind the A frame.

Problem is, I can't find what model this is. Help please.

I'm not sure if it will stay like this or if I will modernize it with a flattop upper and fixed rear sight and a new forend. The A1 upper was set for another project that is still up in the air.

thanks

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:14:07 PM EST
I...what...that is damned interesting!

I say leave it on the carry handle because that looks crazy neat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:12:21 PM EST
Are you thinking of this guy?

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:34:34 PM EST
The Knights is where the A1 upper is going, except I'm doing it in .22 and suppressed.

This is the posted picture I copied. The poster, Dodge223, said it was from the retro forum but I can't find a thread with it in it. Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:44:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2016 1:46:29 PM EST by jhud]
Neat. Ive built something like that with triangles. Very Lafrance'sh

Pistol ARs are kind of odd to me. Very loud low velocity barrels.. Even powder puff reloads don't help...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:22:04 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jhud:
Very Lafrance'sh
View Quote

That's the first thing that popped up in my mind. But I don't recognize it in all the photos of Tim's work that I've seen. It sure looks like something you'd see in a 80's Soldier of Fortune magazine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:26:36 PM EST
I kind of thought that too. No real idea.

Thanks for the help.
Brad
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:43:38 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BradN:
The Knights is where the A1 upper is going, except I'm doing it in .22 and suppressed.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/Dodge223/Arfcom/2A70BC44-AF89-4AAB-BC7B-361A376A05B6_zpsnspddtn5.jpg

This is the posted picture I copied. The poster, Dodge223, said it was from the retro forum but I can't find a thread with it in it. Oh well.
View Quote

I like that bayonet. Any specs or history on it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:52:11 PM EST
The picture was from here. Looks like it must have been archived. It was called "latest form 4 acquisitions" or something like that.

I was waiting for the OP to post more info on the gas tube. It looked like it had a section of larger diameter steel tubing soldered or brazed in. The guy who came up with it was from a movie prop gun company in NY I think. Checked their site at the time but couldn't find anything on the upper. OPs mailbox was full so I couldn't get more info.

Does look somewhat LaFrance ish. It's got me wanting to do a retro PDW with a LWRC short buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:35:19 PM EST
The archived thread

I was sent this by Dodge223 and shows more pics of the gun in question and answers a few questions. I finally shot my upper and it's way overgassed so it will get a heavy buffer in the lower or an adjustable gas block after the holidays.

This is definitely a unique upper. Now to see if I want to SBR a lower for it or run it as a pistol for a while.

Thanks for the help

Top Top