Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2005 2:51:26 PM EDT
I was looking through members pics and saw that a decent amount of people have Killflashes on their ACOGs. I wanted to know if they fuzz up the optic at all, and if they will rub on the front lens a scratch it. I haven't been able to see one inperson so I really don't know to much about them. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't vouch for an ACOG, but I've got a kilflash on my Aimpoint and it's great. I had to do something to block out that bright red freakin' objective lens, and it does that very well. Only takes a few minutes to get used to looking through it, rather than at it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the red coating on the Aimpoint is very bright in the sunlight. As an LEO I would rather cover that up but I really like them for the added protection they offer to the front lens
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
KillFlash is hardly noticeable when using with ACOGs.

I tried using the Aimpoint version but I just didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Killflash devices mounted on two ACOGs and haven't noticed any decrease in optical clarity. Since the Killflash doesn't touch the ACOG's objective lens, there's no reason it would ever "rub" against it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
i hate them and i tell all my guys here in the sandbox they arent needed. Distorts the sight picture to much and they dont need them. Were not seals or SF, were truck drivers. they will see the flash from out windows before our CCO's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the distortion is very minimal. I know some people like them (me included) and some people don't. I only used one because it came with the Aimpoint setup I bought. I did, however just buy one for my second Aimpoint though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
if you're gonna be getting shot at and on foot (ie no big target to give you away first) i'd say yes... and the fact that they act as a sunshade also helps

-Roth
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I never tried one for my EoTech...
oh wait it doesn't need one!

joking
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

joking

Good one!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i hate them and i tell all my guys here in the sandbox they arent needed. Distorts the sight picture to much and they dont need them. Were not seals or SF, were truck drivers. they will see the flash from out windows before our CCO's.

Thanks for your service, are their things that you/your guys need that you're not getting.?  Lots of guys here have some good gear they keep in their closest that someone there may be able to use.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]

It seems to darken things up a little bit...very noticeable in low light.

I use one mainly to protect the lens.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Actually, you can get quite a glare from an EOTech's big, flat glass front.

...I built a EOTech "killflash" out of flat-black carbon honeycomb.  (scrap from work)

Works great.  I'll post pics later tonight

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an ACOG-NSN and a killflash.

The killflash mounts on the ring the front part of the bikini cover that comes with the scope does. So there is appx 1/4 between the killflash and the front lense of the ACOG.

The killflash is made of a hard plastic, and is appx 1" long from front-rear.

I don't really see any indication that the killflash is in place in daylight conditions.

They say the killflash cuts down 9-11% on the amount of light entering the scope. So dusk or dawn performance of the scope may be diminished by the killflash.

But, and this is the reason I keep it on, it seems the killflash would protect the front lens from bumping into stuff.

The killflash is also very easy to remove, if need be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#14]
what about killflash on compact acogs? any experiences? advises?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have on on my Compact ACOG and like it. No noticeable difference in clarity during the daytime. At night, you don't use it because the sun is gone!

Tack
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have on on my Compact ACOG and like it. No noticeable difference in clarity during the daytime. At night, you don't use it because the sun is gone!

Tack

would it work even on a 1.5x?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
KillFlash is hardly noticeable when using with ACOGs.

I tried using the Aimpoint version but I just didn't care for it.

I totally agree with that. Because of the ACOGS magnification it's almost unoticable. It can obscure a lot of your sight picture and make the dot akward to use on the Aimpoint. Of course training with your equipment is everything and if your application calls for it then it can be a life saver.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top