Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 9:39:55 PM EDT
I just recently got an excellent condition Universal 20rnd mag with such wonderful finish that I could almost see myself in it. It was by far one of the nicest mags I have. In an effort to preserve this cherished specemin, I sprayed some RemOil on it and wiped it down. To my horror, almost all the finish came off!  Now it is has a dull, worn luster like all the others. This sucks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh.... it's.... a mag.  It holds ammo.

If you feel you need it pristine, check out the mag section on refinishing.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
...Just send it to me and i'll put it in the box with the other ugly 20 round mags i have that look like crap but work flawlessly.

See your self in it?? Maybe you should have one of those girly little makeup mirrors to put your makeup on with instead of a 20 round AR mag.
Send me your rifle too and ill shoot it for you, as im sure you done want to get your iddy biddy wittle cheek hurt when you fire the big bad scary AR-15

Its a magazine...it just holds the ammo.
Nothing more...Geeez :)

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, you guys really like to play along. I guess from now on my posts should be as dry as can be, making every effort to prove the fact that I am big tough shit, because oh my god, what if someone reading my text on this internet sight thought otherwise!  My life would have no value at all!

Anyway, what I initially wanted to know was why the hell RemOil took the finish off the mag, one of the two that I have set aside to keep in nice condition, unused for the future  

I can't help but feel amused when some people here feel the need to correct, and put in place those people out there who purchase fake collapsible stocks and pressed on fake flash suppressors, as well as any newbie that might make a mistake in asking a question.  The fact that you all feel the need to exercise superiority in your status as an AR owner just shows how insecure you really must be. Take a hint from some of most knowledgeable people on his site, who I am sure you all hold in the highest regard.  Do you see them putting down newbies with little knowledge, or wasting their time because they just have to take a shot at the guy who likes the aesthetics of the rifle?  They take no shame in answering the most simple of questions, and educating the most unknowledgeable members, and they should be commended for it.

How many of you actually treat your AR like it was designed to be treated?  Do you guys only posses it just to shoot, or is there an interest in the AR that goes beyond that. I for one have found interest in shooting first, but also enjoy the other aspects of owning an AR such as collecting and keeping it in nice shape, adding accessories and so on.

Anyone here ever dress their truck up, or take their car to get washed when doing so really has no effect on the performance? Seriously, how many people here truly are guided by only pragmatic concerns in life, and only give consideration to dry practicality? If that was so why the hell would you be here reading this? Why would you have that ridiculously large TV in your den, or that vehicle that guzzles four times more gas per mile than most others? IF you are one of these people, it is your prerogative, and I feel no inclination to put you down for it. Just don't do the same to me.

People come here to learn. If people stay it is generally because they like to continue learning, but also they enjoy reading about this stuff just for the sake of reading it and interacting with all the number of good people that share a love of shooting, and particularly the AR type rifle.  I enjoy all of these things, including all the shitty mags that I take to the range because they work.

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Lighten up Francis!!!

My comments were made in the realm of comedy,
Nothing more.

Have some fun, and laugh at yourself once in a while. I do it all the time. It makes life a little easier some time.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Relax.  Nobody was attacking you.  You asked some questions in a public forum, you got some responses.  You got to have thicker skin that that to play on the net.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Aluminum mag bodies are anodized and coated in a dry film lube. They're already lubed, no oil required! I imagine the oil ate up the film quite a bit. The only thing in a mag I would consider lubing in the spring, and then only a light coating at most. Possibly the follower too, if I was really worried about rust.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope you didn't pay too much for the "new" condition of that mag.  It sounds like you got screwed by somebody who just spray painted some crap on an old mag.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Aluminum mag bodies are anodized and coated in a dry film lube. They're already lubed, no oil required...

Gvidon212,

I'm confused, the moly dry-film lube on unused USGI mags is a powdery dull coating.  When the overspray wears off, the remaining moly is a slightly shiny gray, certainly not mirror-like.

If the mag is really shiny, all the moly's worn off and you're looking at the anodizing.

???,
Gabe
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If the mag is really shiny, all the moly's worn off and you're looking at the anodizing.

Exactly.

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
gvidon212, dont feel bad I like pretty mags too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
[[[Lighten up Francis!!!]]]

The name is Psycho...............You call me Francis.................I'll kill you...........
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes a diatribe is fun. I like laughing too.  

Anyway, the mag was not supposed to be new, and the mirror like finish was an exageration. However, the mag did look very nice compared to all the others I have. After buffing it a bit it reached a real consistent dull shine, if that makes any sense. I was just shocked at how the RemOil simply cut right through the finish on the mag. I wiped some of the oil off and the paper towel was instantly black, where as before application nothing would rub off. The finish kept coming off until the matt, almost beige color showed through underneath. It is now inconsistent and pretty much dull all over.

Every so often when I find a real nice mag I take it out of the loop and put it away. I guess I like the thought of them being collector's items some day, or having mags I use in the case that I really need something to rely upon. My range mags are intended for use and abuse, and only that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, perhaps you should consider refinishing the mag with Perma Slik G. Georgia Precision carries it. I believe there is a post in this section by someone who has.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine that works in an auto resto shop (restores 1950's hot rods), chromed a couple of magazines for me.  He added it to the carburetors he sent out for chroming.  

Don't know what I will be using them for, but they are different.  The down side, is the plating makes them a little large to drop free from the lower.  

OSA
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top