Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2002 11:47:37 AM EDT
Will the highest level Kevlar vest with a trauma plate stop a .223, .308, & .30-06 round?
Just curious because I hear conflicting answers on the question and of course in the movies, the ones wearing the Kevlar alway get up and walk away. I don't believe the movies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Level III can handle multiple hits of 7.62 NATO, and Level IV can handle a single hit (usually no more because the plate fractures) of 30-06 AP (M2AP).
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
And there aren't any "kevlar" devices that will really stop 5.56 or 7.62.  They use "trauma plates" which are made of material like ceramic or steel or SpectraShield.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Fallen- Bullet construction will have a lot to do with weither a round penetrates or not. A projectile intended to fragment, such as a Glaser, or a Velet will not perform as well as a ball round..Conversely, a ball round probably won't perform as well as a dedicated "AP" load..

I have seen a vest that would stop standard 9X19 ball, and +p 9X19 dead, be penetrated by a certian Czech 9X19 load, merely because of the round's unique projectile..

Some of the best ballistically I ever saw (And this is an opinion) was the "chicken plate" used for aircrew armor..Looked like a catcher's vest, was very thick, and very rigid.. For comfort? Second Chance "Deep Cover"..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably not as uncomfortable as getting shot without having it on...
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Troy- No kidding.. The worst part? Wear one, then bend over to pick something up.. The lower part will snag a bit of you between the pistol belt..

Like I said, I bought a SC/DC..Fits like a T-shirt basically..

Meplat-
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top