User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2007 8:34:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what ya get fer shootin crap ammo.
and here's what one looks like after:
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
"Who loaded these?"

First mistake
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
WARNING: Plastic magazines blow up during KABOOMs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Ouch
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
dang
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Would like to have seen the aftermath in detail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I would have stopped after the second miss-fire
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I like how he cycled the action and THEN slapped the magazine.  I guess the guy never quite got the SPORTS concept.

Irish
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
When did Glock start making AR's?
j/k, probably a Hesse/Vulcan/WhateverTheyAreNow
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like how he cycled the action and THEN slapped the magazine.  I guess the guy never quite got the SPORTS concept.

Irish

Yeah, and hitting the forward assist before cycling the action....
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Who loaded these?"

First mistake

.....last mistake
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
At least he was wearing glasses...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The were probably sunglasses.  But something is better than nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
OST for details...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I want to go back and watch again to count how many mistakes he made in less th=an ten seconds.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#17]
listin to the audio Brian loaded these......well Brian would be buying me a new AR after he removed my boot from his ass
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good reminder.  Sometimes I forget.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#19]
that sucks
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't believe that mag launched liked that

all other mistakes aside thats something
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irish

Yeah, and hitting the forward assist before cycling the action....
the guy's a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#22]
And THAT is exactly why I shoot a left handed AR when shooting left-handed. (So may say, "I shoot a standard AR all the time, left handed. You don't need a left-handed AR.)

Imagine what would have happened if he'd have been shooting that left-handed...

He would have been seriously injured or killed.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
eeeek...  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag for unfiltered home access.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you guys see the puff of smoke and shrapnel that came from the charging handle? That dude's fucking lucky...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like the AR got revenge....  Makes me wonder if something broke that caused the failure to fires and he just kept trying until he got the kaboom.  If so, this could be an out of battery kaboom or just a broken bolt, etc...

I need to look at home where I can slow the clip down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow! Shows what happens when you dont appreciate a weapon. Guy got lucky thats for sure!
I dont understand him beating the $hit out of the mag and forward assist before and after chambering a round! Both dont need much pressure to set/operate.
Im like y'all, i would like to see the aftermath of that... Both weapon and his face!
Not a gunsmith, but seems he may haved jammed the FA down, making the BCG not "go home". Resulting in the round going off, technically, out of the chamber.

Again, Im not expert so if Im wrong please correct...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And THAT is exactly why I shoot a left handed AR when shooting left-handed. (So may say, "I shoot a standard AR all the time, left handed. You don't need a left-handed AR.)

There is a really good site which shows the results of a KB when the guy was shooting a standard AR left handed, and the entire left side of the firearm blew out, and would have gone right into his face if he were shooting it right handed. You can't know where the path of least resistance will lye with a catastrophic failure.

Your thinking is off base at best.

for the record, I too am left handed, I might buy a left handed AR, but I won't think that will make or break me during a KB.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I dont understand him beating the $hit out of the mag and forward assist before and after chambering a round! Both dont need much pressure to set/operate.
he's trying to look like a hard-core operator for the video camera.  

i've never hit my forward assist like that.  i've never yanked on the charging handle with as much force either.  there's absolutely no need to beat the shit out of a gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

i've never hit my forward assist like that.  i've never yanked on the charging handle with as much force either.  there's absolutely no need to beat the shit out of a gun.

I would, but the time for it is not at the range while shooting bad reloads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a really good site which shows the results of a KB when the guy was shooting a standard AR left handed, and the entire left side of the firearm blew out, and would have gone right into his face if he were shooting it right handed. You can't know where the path of least resistance will lye with a catastrophic failure.

for the record, I too am left handed, I might buy a left handed AR, but I won't think that will make or break me during a KB.

Off base? I think you'd better watch that video, again. If he were shooting left handed, it would not have gone well...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Off base? I think you'd better watch that video, again. If he were shooting left handed, it would not have gone well...

The point was that the metal could have flown in EITHER direction...  

Just because you are a lefty shooting right handed does not mean with a catastrophic KABOOM that you might NOT get an upper receiver imbeded in your skull!  It's a grenade at that point and this shooter just got lucky!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Who loaded these?"

First mistake

.....last mistake

Another score for Rust In Piece

AZ, I think me and you should start a subliminal Megadeth advertising company.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Sadly, I've had this happen at least twice with factory loaded ammunition, including top shelf American made stuff.

I'm also left handed shooting a standard RH Colt AR. Only damage that occured was to the magazine and extractor. Maybe I'm lucky but both times my mug escaped unscathed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. You don't know that for certain. There are no pics of the aftereffects of this incident, and  the rifle could be largely undamaged. I don't know, and neither do you. You are basing your statement off of assumptions.

2. Your suggestion that one should purchase a rifle based on what hand they use to write with because it will save you is a false theory. I have seen (the result of) KBs take out the left, right, and both sides of an AR.

3. If you are indeed correct, and this is not some keyboard commando theory, please enlighten the group with empirical evidence, or perhaps just some sound reason.  

ETA: Clarification
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

He would have been seriously injured or killed.  hinking.gif

1. You don't know that for certain. There are no pics of the aftereffects of this incident, and  the rifle could be largely undamaged. I don't know, and neither do you. You are basing your statement off of assumptions.

2. Your suggestion that one should purchase a rifle based on what hand they use to write with because it will save you is a false theory. I have seen (the result of) KBs take out the left, right, and both sides of an AR.

3. If you are indeed correct, and this is not some keyboard commando theory, please enlighten the group with empirical evidence, or perhaps just some sound reason.  

Ok, this is getting a little agressive... Here's a way to solve this issue:

It doesnt matter if you are a lefty or righty shooter or you use a left or right sided weapon. When and if a KB happens, its just sheer luck if you're hurt or not.
Ive seen a few KBs, never in person, but enough to know the shit just happens. No special trick or secret handshake to prevent or guess when, where, how, or how bad its going to happen... Cleaning, proper maintance, knowing how the weapon operates, and ammo does help, but still no guaranty!

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't fancy myself a commando, there "Killingmachine". Just making an observation. Unlike many on this board, I'll readily admit that my AR is for target shooting only. I have no dillusions of storming buildings or preparing for the end of the world. I shoot an AR because it's durable and versitile. That's it. We all can't be the Merchant of Death, as I'm certain you are.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow!  I'd like to know what the cause of that KBoom was.

Recently I started getting set up for progressive reloading of 5.56.  I just got a Dillon 650.  Seeing this video makes me extra sure that I'm going to take my time and set it up right.  As well as being very careful while reloading.  I'll make sure to check every single round for powder before I place a bullet. (I also have the powder check system.) As well as doing QC with a case gauge.

In that video, that guy pulls the trigger without the rifle firing 3 times.  The other dude says it's bad primers, but I'm thinking not.  Maybe the bolts lugs got sheared and it wasn't fully in battery.  If that's the case, then the firing pin shouldn't be able to reach the primer.  Either that, or there was excessive headspace due to too rounds that were sized too short.  In that case, a few rounds might be too far forward in the chamber for the firing pin to hit.  Then one finally is touched off and KB's the rifle.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:
Wow!  I'd like to know what the cause of that KBoom was.

Recently I started getting set up for progressive reloading of 5.56.  I just got a Dillon 650.  Seeing this video makes me extra sure that I'm going to take my time and set it up right.  As well as being very careful while reloading.  I'll make sure to check every single round for powder before I place a bullet. (I also have the powder check system.) As well as doing QC with a case gauge.

In that video, that guy pulls the trigger without the rifle firing 3 times.  The other dude says it's bad primers, but I'm thinking not.  Maybe the bolts lugs got sheared and it wasn't fully in battery.  If that's the case, then the firing pin shouldn't be able to reach the primer.  Either that, or there was excessive headspace due to too rounds that were sized too short.  In that case, a few rounds might be too far forward in the chamber for the firing pin to hit.  Then one finally is touched off and KB's the rifle.

Something hit me when I read your post. You mention the "bad primers", could it be that that was it. Not that the round in the chamber caused the KB, but a round in the mag? Maybe it fired off due to a malfunction with primer rubbing or something?

This is just a question, I have no idea if that was it or not...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#41]
My guess is one of the "bad primer" rounds left a bullet in the throat.  Subsquent "bad primer" rounds pushed the bullet far enough forward that eventually a round chambered (directly behind a plugged barrel).   That round then fired with no where to go.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My guess is one of the "bad primer" rounds left a bullet in the throat.  Subsquent "bad primer" rounds pushed the bullet far enough forward that eventually a round chambered (directly behind a plugged barrel).   That round then fired with no where to go.

It sure didn't sound like any of the primers went off. I don't really know though, just my speculation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Ok, this is getting a little agressive... Here's a way to solve this issue:

It doesnt matter if you are a lefty or righty shooter or you use a left or right sided weapon. When and if a KB happens, its just sheer luck if you're hurt or not.
Ive seen a few KBs, never in person, but enough to know the shit just happens. No special trick or secret handshake to prevent or guess when, where, how, or how bad its going to happen... Cleaning, proper maintance, knowing how the weapon operates, and ammo does help, but still no guaranty!

Well put. I guess anything can go wrong at any time. I think that one thing everyone could agree on is that there should have been a much further in depth inspection of the ammo that was not functioning in the rifle. I think that was a clear sign things were amiss. Prepare thyself for the worst, and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah I don't know if it was an ammo malfunction at all. Three "bad primers" in a row.... after a dozen successful.... I figure the bolt wasn't returning to battery time after time. After giving it a good smack or two and using the forward assist like a retarded kid it will get just close enough to discharge. "just keep cramming ammo in that hole jimmy, soon or later something will happen.

How long had it been since it was cleaned? Anyone ever think to check the chamber for stuck case fragments or other obstruction?

Did it occur to anyone present to actually look at the failed cartridges to see if they where "bad primer"s? The presence of a dimple is a good indicator btw.

One moronic declaration of "bad primer" I can understand but how many rounds where you going to throw on the floor before you though maybe something else was wrong?

Sooner or later you keep kicking a bull in the ass you will get the horns. Good lesson to learn I guess so long as it doesn't kill you.

Edit to add more recriminations. I know I'm a dick but its better I'm a dick and see you the range shooting 20 years from now than read about you in the newspaper.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Dont you guys know its tacticool to beat on your rifle.  You guys need to keep up with this stuff, jeez
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sure didn't sound like any of the primers went off. I don't really know though, just my speculation.

Yeah, I didn't hear any primers go off either.  Just the sound of the hammer falling.  I've had one squib round, and I noticed the sound difference immediately. (Besides the fact that the gun didn't recoil and the round didn't eject.)  Upon inspection of the case, I found it was missing the flash hole.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#47]
What is "SPORTS"?

There is a link around here somewhere that has all the acronyms but I couldnt find it
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]
my guess is he had a squib and the bullet was left in the throat of the bore
that would explain him using the forward assist
when he forced a round into chamber he had two rounds in the bore

this is a good argument against the forward assist
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was not factory ammo, I've seen bullets pulled out of the cases (by the leads in the rifling) because they were too long.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top