Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2006 8:05:20 PM EDT
I noticed on CMMG's website that they have a front sight that's a metal crosshair, like a scope reticle. I know that some target rifles use "globe" front ring sights, and they must work or else Olympians wouldn't use them, but is this something that's actually useful, or is it just nonsense? I like the idea of an iron crosshair, would take the guesswork out of balancing the target on my front sight post, but if it doesn't work then it's worse than useless. Has anyone tried one of these?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I noticed on CMMG's website that they have a front sight that's a metal crosshair, like a scope reticle. I know that some target rifles use "globe" front ring sights, and they must work or else Olympians wouldn't use them, but is this something that's actually useful, or is it just nonsense? I like the idea of an iron crosshair, would take the guesswork out of balancing the target on my front sight post, but if it doesn't work then it's worse than useless. Has anyone tried one of these?

Here you go.....  www.coloradoshooting.org/kns.htm
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never given these a lot of thought, but after reading Stickman's review, I may have to get one for a try out.

My background is in competitive NRA Highpower Rifle.  I shoot an AR-15 in service rifle configuration (A2 sights) most of the time, and occasionally a custom Model 70 match rifle with front and rear aperture sights.  I have a classification of Master and have been at it for four seasons, so I am quite familiar with the use of iron sights and know that, with the right kind of sights, a very high level of precision is possible.

The convept of centering circles works as advertised, as explained by Stickman.  You are right that if it didn't work, it would not be used when extreme precision is required from iron sights.

So here I think that the KNS front sight might work even better without the crosshairs in the middle.  That would essentially duplicate the sight picture I see with target rifles and allow the eye to focus on the front sight without any distractions cluttering the target.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one for sale in the EE for $25
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
if you do try one make sure it has the correct threads.  the one i have says for ar15, m16, and ar10; but has 10-24, instead of 8-32 threads.  i just use the small ball type now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't tried one.  But it seems like the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I mean..  If you truly know the potential of the AR15 iron sights, you'd never consider such a gimmick.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You want to enlighten us to the superior knowledge you are alluding to? Or is this another patented Markm blanket dismissal of a newer product, without a qualified, yet always implied, explanation?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used one with the plain crosshairs not with the ball in the center.  I found it to be more accurate tan the standard sights by a significant margin. YMMV

Seydou
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I mean..  If you truly know the potential of the AR15 iron sights, you'd never consider such a gimmick.

Most of the time I agree with you.  But having significant trigger time behind both centerfire and rimfire target rifles with front and rear aperture sights, this time I have to call:
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried one also.  Didn't do much for me.  The A2 sight is much better IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I personally like the KNS with the ball on top.

I dipped the top in yellow sight paint

I have old eyes and the rifle is a plinker
for shooting varmints at the ranch

DrP out
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well I guess that bumps the KNS anti-rotation pins out of your coveted first place spot then, huh?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I tried one also.  Didn't do much for me.  The A2 sight is much better IMO.

That was my opinon as well.  But I think it is a product some folks might really enjoy for plinking.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I personally like the KNS with the ball on top.

I dipped the top in yellow sight paint

I have old eyes and the rifle is a plinker
for shooting varmints at the ranch

DrP out

same thing i did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't used one on my ARs, but have a couple on a FAL and a Saiga.  They are the duplex style and I like them.  The only down side is the crosshairs dissapear in low light, especially on the longer sight radius of rifles. You can still use the hood as a front aperture, and works fairly well since the distance of low light shots is usually fairly close.  I think they work pretty slick for those of us who don't have eagle vision, much easier to be precise. Not for every use IMO, but good plinking and hunting sights.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I really enjoy using my KNS sight.  It's very easy to center using the circles.  The crosshairs more often than not blur out when I'm looking at the target with both eyes open.  My set up is different though, I cowitness a Larue fixed BUIS and a standard front sight tower with the KNS sight post.  I opted for the KNS for up close speed - for which I think is most excellent.  I use my Aimpoint dot for a precision shot.  If you're gonna have a back up iron sight cowitnessed through an Aimpoint - I think the KNS is a supreme set up and second to none.

For straight irons & no optics, I'd go with the standard A2 or a NM front sight post as the accuracy is unrivaled.  Those crosshairs are useless at extended ranges (they really get in the way).  I find the open area above the front post VERY helpful when shooting with A2 sights.  So does everyone I think.  For an EoTech cowitness, I'd also say the standard A2 or NM front sight post for obvious reasons.

Basicially, IMHO, the KNS is useful only when cowitnessing through an Aimpoint.

Your own mileage may of course vary!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

For straight irons & no optics, I'd go with the standard A2 or a NM front sight post as the accuracy is unrivaled.  

IF the KNS aperture is smaller than the apparent size of the rear aperture, it is a far superior setup than any rear aperture/front post setup, by far.

I have too many thousands of rounds through rifles equipped with aperture/aperture and aperture/post to accept that a post/aperture combination is superior for accuracy as fact.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For straight irons & no optics, I'd go with the standard A2 or a NM front sight post as the accuracy is unrivaled.  

IF the KNS aperture is smaller than the apparent size of the rear aperture, it is a far superior setup than any rear aperture/front post setup, by far.

I have too many thousands of rounds through rifles equipped with aperture/aperture and aperture/post to accept that a post/aperture combination is superior for accuracy as fact.

remember that the kns is half the size of a 18mm globe sight.  so in order for it to be slightly smaller than the rear aperture; youll need a short sight radius, or a smaller rear aperture.  also aperture sights are easier with properly sized highpower targets, i dont think they are the answer for a combat/hunting rifle.  im thinking that the round style front flipups with a small ball or chevron tip post may be good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I ordered one, I should be able to install it and test it out in about a week, won't have time until then. Hopefully it'll work as well as some of the people here are predicting
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top