Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/7/2006 5:17:02 PM EDT
I ran across mention of the KNS Precision crosshair style front AR sights and found the concept interesting. I ordered one to try out (Hooded Duplex) and finally had time to put it on and zero with it today. Thought I'd share my initial impressions.

First of all, the round hood of the KNS front sight centers easily in the rear sight. Aligning a circle with another slightly larger circle just seems so damned natural. Doesn't get much easier than this. For faster action shots this should be much easier for the eye to acquire quickly than centering a post type sight. Center mass, center the little circle in the big one and bam! Just feels so right.

In addition to the circle in circle sight picture the duplex crosshairs make it quite a bit easier for me to focus on the front sight exclusively. I've done a considerable amount of training and shooting with scoped rifles so focusing on the reticle is second nature. Slower paced carefully aimed shots actually give a sight picture that is a lot like using a tiny scope. I have become comfortable and fairly proficient with the post front sight with the aperture rear, but I honestly like the duplex crosshair set-up better.

The crosshair front makes for a finer sight picture for precision shots. I've read that the standard front AR post is 4MOA at 100 yards. The tiny crosshairs should be no more than 1MOA, if they are that big. I was laying down sub 2" groups at 50 yards (my preferred sight in distance) without a very solid shooting position. I could see sub 1" or ragged hole groups at 50 yards on sandbags with this combo. To put it bluntly, I'd be MUCH more confident in taking a head shot in a hostage/standoff situation with the KNS than I would with the standard front post.

And the great thing is that when you focus on the center of the crosshairs the hood and rear sight aperture are still easy to naturally align. I found that in the limited shooting I done today with the KNS 98% of my attention was on the crosshairs with 1% on aligning the circles (it really does feel that natural for me coming from scoped guns) and the other 1% on aligning the crosshairs with the target dots I was using.

First chance I get I'm going to meet with one of our instructors at the range and run it through our rifle qual course using the KNS/irons only (without the EOTech). After seeing what I done today with the crosshair front sight I'm curious to see how it actually works in faster paced and scoot and shoot drills. For now though, I'm very happy with the KNS sight picture. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT
I stumbled over them several times.Couldn´t make up my mind. I always thought: if they are THAT good, why come nobody is praising them?

I am very interested in your results!

I BET they are better for precision shooting than the standard post.

How good are they for "quick and close"?

Keep us posted, H
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:07:54 PM EDT
Have one of these I want to install. When I remove the sight that is on my rifle, do I have to watch for any springs launching the detent into the atmosphere or does it stay in place? Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 12:31:18 PM EDT by EntryTac]

Originally Posted By Arminius:
I stumbled over them several times.Couldn´t make up my mind. I always thought: if they are THAT good, why come nobody is praising them?

I am very interested in your results!

I BET they are better for precision shooting than the standard post.

How good are they for "quick and close"?

Keep us posted, H

Haven't ran through any drills with it yet, but it would seem that up close and fast would be even faster with the hooded sight. I expect that it will be as simple as centering the small circle (front sight hood) in the larger one (rear sight aperture) and pointing center of mass. I have played around with them in the yard a little, throwing it up and acquiring a sight picture quickly using that method and I believe that very quick center mass shots that are plenty accurate for up close and fast combat can be made without even worrying about the reticle. In my playing around I simply focused my attention on the hood of the front sight and centered it in the rear. Felt very natural and fast. Depending on distance from target, if you're aiming center mass, or even if you have the head in the little circle of the front sight, and you align the rear sight with it you should be "battle accurate" enough to deliver effective shots VERY quickly.

That's just my take from the messing around I've done so far. I'll update this thread when I get a chance to run our course with it.

Oh, and Stickman praised them in his initial impressions review as well. I respect his opinions more than my own and that's what tempted me into trying this sight. I, too was skeptical about them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:34:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 12:36:33 PM EDT by EntryTac]

Originally Posted By BrianB2:
Have one of these I want to install. When I remove the sight that is on my rifle, do I have to watch for any springs launching the detent into the atmosphere or does it stay in place? Thanks...

A lot of the tension on the detent pin spring will be relieved when you back the front sight post all the way out, but it will still have a little tension. I held mine in with a small screwdriver blade when I made the last few turns of the post. The spring will push the detent pin out of the hole, but I don't think it had enough tension left to go into orbit though.
Top Top