Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 8:35:20 PM EDT
Seems like a "great leap forward" to me.  Opinions, reports, etc...

TIA,

TS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
the perma pin?

what was used in the past until the wire cotter pin replaced it which you see used today.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
the older retaining pin you mean?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I'm told it is similar to the early or original pin.  Better or worse than the cotter pin?

TS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheaper cotter pins do as well a job as the more expensive original.  I've heard people's new solid pins snap, maybe they'll chime in.  It's a leap backward really, what would they think of next, the original slip ring, triangle shaped charging handle, brittle furniture?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It's strictly for us nuts who want to build up lookalike pieces of the early types---so I bought one of the DPMS versions for my early Air Force M16 clone; to use on the original Colt chromed smoothside carrier.

Otherwise, stick w/the cotter pin.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this the "old way" firing pins were retained?  Is this improved?  Is there really a need for this?  No flames, I am just puzzled.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
They look to be made better.  Seems like they would be easier to install and remove, that's all ...

TS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
looks can be deceiving
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cheaper cotter pins do as well a job as the more expensive original.  I've heard people's new solid pins snap, maybe they'll chime in.  It's a leap backward really, what would they think of next, the original slip ring, triangle shaped charging handle, brittle furniture?

When I bought a CMT bolt and carrier I received a free Perma pin with the order.

The thing broke while I was installing it.  Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I dont think the thing should break from me just pushing it in with thumb pressure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok.  Stay with cotter pin.  Thanks guys!

TS
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
My cotter type pins have bent over time... My KNS pin is rock solid!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
If your cotter pin is bending then the AR15 notched hammer is catching the collar of the firing pin as it cycles. It is actually pretty difficult to bend a cotter pin just using thumb pressure (even over time). A shrouded bolt carrier will fix the problem with the hammer catching the firing pin collar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If your cotter pin is bending then the AR15 notched hammer is catching the collar of the firing pin as it cycles. It is actually pretty difficult to bend a cotter pin just using thumb pressure (even over time). A shrouded bolt carrier will fix the problem with the hammer catching the firing pin collar.

+1

shrouded firing pin carriers are the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top