Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:11:51 AM EDT
I recently gave my CPC built Ruger 10/22 to my son and need a new 22LR for myself. I am looking for a dedicated 22 LR upper rather than build up another Ruger 10/22. Anyone have experience with these KKF Dedicated 22 LR Uppers from Kurt's Kustom Firearms?  Here is a link to their site:
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/1131.htm
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
about 3-4 years ago before all the big dealers/ vendors that are here now were around KKF was the rage.  if you had something made by Kurt you were in the "in crowd".  he is supposed to do real nice work, but has alot slower turn around than others.   i don't have a .22 upper but am thinking of getting one because of his good reputation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a few people not all that happy with KKF turn around time and quality....from what I have seen.....hype.

My upper is a M261 with a dedicated barrel from Accuracyspeaks.  Derrick was the FIRST to do these conversion barrel kits.  Mine is accurate, reliable, and quality......but not cheap.  You get what you pay/wait for.

Avoid the Ceiner shit kit.....no sense in having hi cap if they don't run.  The kit is made as cheap as humanly possible and JAC is an ass!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my KKF 16" dedicated upper in 2001.  I sent him my Ciener kit the last week of July, and got the upper back the middle of September (1 week after 9/11).  About a 6 week turn around.  To the best of my knowledge, I have 18,000 rounds through it now.  

I have had no problems w/ the Ciener kit (except the firing pin: that broke 2 months ago, but I figure that 18,000 rounds is a pretty good life for that).  I have had no problems with the mags either (3 10 rounders and 3 30 rounders).  Don't deal with JAC: there are a lot of companies that sell the Ciner Kits and spare parts.  In fact, KKF has the Ciner kits available.

Regarding quality:  I have no complaints.  It looked GREAT when I got it.  Now it looks used, but still functions great.  The only modification I did to mine was to put a smaller front site post on: I find I am more accurate with it.

Accuracy is great.  I don't shoot at paper:  I shoot at plastic bottles, pop cans, etc.  At 40 yards with fixed sites I can consistently hit small plastic Medicine bottles 2" tall by 1.5" diameter.  I am sure that I would get 2" groupings at 50 yards with the cheapest .22 ammo I can find.  

I also have a DPMS 20" DCM upper.  Both are enjoyable, but if I had to choose only one I would go with the KKF because you can get hi-cap mags, and the ciener kit is easier to disassemble and clean.

Good luck!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a .22lr barrel on order for around 10weeks now.  I think lead times have deffinitely increased.  

I called today and probably need to call again tomorrow as I got the machine.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't confuse Kurt's Kustom Firearms with Kuehl Precision Firearms.

Kurt does all manner of gunsmithing, including building some .22LR barrels.  Rick Kuehl only does the .22LR uppers.  Kurt's barrels are 1/16" twist and proper bore size for .22LR, but still use the chamber adapter so they should work with any of the drop-in kits.  Rick's barrels are machined to take a modified Ciener* adapter and chamber the .22 directly into the barrel.  Rick's should be more accurate since it doesn't have the free bore and jump to the rifling.  

* Rick's new breech design can probably be adapted to other kits by modifying their chamber adapters in the same way that he mods the Cieners.  His old barrels would be Ciener-only.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top