Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:28:39 PM EDT
Ok I just bought a RAS M5 for my Dissapator upper, with it is a 1/2 moon looking piece that I cant figure where it goes or what it does.
Can somebody help me out please.
Thanks Mark
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:20:06 AM EDT
By "half moon" piece, you may be refering to the Barrel Stop that is shipped with the M5 RAS Mil-Pack.
This is to be held in place on the top of the barrel on the back-side of the forend cap as the upper M5 RAS is installed. The two little springs of the half moon piece face rearwards and the front edge of the upper RAS compress them and thereby keep the barrel stop from making noise.
The stop only has a purpose if an M203 is going to be mounted. It is not necessary to install with the M5 if no M203 application is to be applied later.
I'd like to know who you optained this from.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:29:23 AM EDT
Thanks for your help.
im sent
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:40:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coldblue:
By "half moon" piece, you may be refering to the Barrel Stop that is shipped with the M5 RAS Mil-Pack.
This is to be held in place on the top of the barrel on the back-side of the forend cap as the upper M5 RAS is installed. The two little springs of the half moon piece face rearwards and the front edge of the upper RAS compress them and thereby keep the barrel stop from making noise.
The stop only has a purpose if an M203 is going to be mounted. It is not necessary to install with the M5 if no M203 application is to be applied later.
I'd like to know who you optained this from.

Oh no! Someone let a RAS out of the factory without permission... Or just resold one bought earlier...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:32:42 AM EDT
Remember, you will need to relieve alittle of the top of the gas block before installing. No big deal, just touch it up afterwards. I have one one my dissy, I like it alot, I wish that set up came in 1n7 though!

Mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:50:26 AM EDT
Thats what I did with the Dremel, I considered buying a low profile gas block but after all it just under the handguards and seem to look ok.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:55:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spooky130:

Oh no! Someone let a RAS out of the factory without permission... Or just resold one bought earlier...

Spooky

No, that is not my point.
We have shipped over 150,000 Mil-Pack RAS's to the Army in the last 7 or 8 years. The Mil-Pack is about the only way the questioned M203 Barrel Stop leaves the factory in a Panel Pack(except as a apare part to the Army).
That being said, as far as I know, we have sold less than 10 of the M5 RAS Mil-Packs during this same period. And the dealer Price for all the stuff in the Mil-Pack is way more than $400.00. So although its possible, I find it doubtful that this Mil-Pack with the barrel stop entered the commercial market place legitimately.
Of course, after all this time, actual "surplus" could be generated from Army units with spare M5's in their "pre-expended bins." They would be surplused if that unit was now being issued M4 carbines with the M4 RAS, and they determined it was not cost effective to re-cycle the items back through their supply system.
I am just tring to get a handle on this because if there are legitimate Mil-Packs being officially surplused, WE ALL NEED TO KNOW THAT.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:50:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 8:10:40 AM EDT by Spooky130]

Originally Posted By coldblue:

Originally Posted By Spooky130:

Spooky

No, that is not my point.
We have shipped over 150,000 Mil-Pack RAS's to the Army in the last 7 or 8 years. The Mil-Pack is about the only way the questioned M203 Barrel Stop leaves the factory in a Panel Pack(except as a apare part to the Army).
That being said, as far as I know, we have sold less than 10 of the M5 RAS Mil-Packs during this same period. And the dealer Price for all the stuff in the Mil-Pack is way more than $400.00. So although its possible, I find it doubtful that this Mil-Pack with the barrel stop entered the commercial market place legitimately.
Of course, after all this time, actual "surplus" could be generated from Army units with spare M5's in their "pre-expended bins." They would be surplused if that unit was now being issued M4 carbines with the M4 RAS, and they determined it was not cost effective to re-cycle the items back through their supply system.
I am just tring to get a handle on this because if there are legitimate Mil-Packs being officially surplused, WE ALL NEED TO KNOW THAT.

Sorry, bad joke... Oh, and excuse me while I put my foot in my mouth - didn't know the difference between the somewhat easy to find M5s for civies and the mil-packs for the .gov.
Top Top