Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 9:52:55 AM EDT
I have a bushmaster M4A3 with a perm. attached Izzy break and was looking into both of these rails and was wondering if there are any pros or cons for each. The main consideration would be the fact that I wouldn't be able to easily remove the fsb or muzzle break. I would appreciate pics of both if you have them and any problems you have had with either. thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The Troy weighs slightly more (the data I have shows less than 2oz more) when installed.  The Troy also has a continous rail that is the same height as the flattop.  The Troy costs less.

The KAC should be a bit stronger (as it also latches on the receiver rail, but it has that annoying 'hump' between the receiver and the rail system which interfers with the installation of some optics and BUIS combinations.

Both are good choices, but I much prefer the Troy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough choice, but I'd go KAC.  No particular reason other than I am somewhat brand loyal to KAC and the MRF-C I have had a few minor issues I'd rather not deal with (It's top rail height wasn't level with my receiver height and 11-rib KAC panels are too long to lock into the side rails due to the extra metal near the mounting hardware.  You can trim the KAC rails to fit, but I just slid them on and the stayed in place good enough for me.)

Click pic for larger pic.  That pic shows the rail unevenness and the mounting hardware and metal that gets in the way of fully locking in a KAC 11-rib panel:

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tough choice, but I'd go KAC.  No particular reason other than I am somewhat brand loyal to KAC and the MRF-C I have had a few minor issues I'd rather not deal with (It's top rail height wasn't level with my receiver height and 11-rib KAC panels are too long to lock into the side rails due to the extra metal near the mounting hardware.  You can trim the KAC rails to fit, but I just slid them on and the stayed in place good enough for me.)

Click pic for larger pic.  That pic shows the rail unevenness and the mounting hardware and metal that gets in the way of fully locking in a KAC 11-rib panel:

img315.imageshack.us/img315/2200/troymrfconbushy11543qj.th.jpg

Interesting.  

Is your receiver mil-std?  My CMT upper and MRF-CX are the same height.  

Tango down panels work fine.  

I'd acutally rather have the Larue rail over either, but didn't want to fool with removing the FSB.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img315.imageshack.us/img315/2200/troymrfconbushy11543qj.th.jpg</a>

Interesting.  

Is your receiver mil-std?  My CMT upper and MRF-CX are the same height.  

Tango down panels work fine.  

I'd acutally rather have the Larue rail over either, but didn't want to fool with removing the FSB.  

I'm not the only one to have experienced this issue.  My receiver is probably in spec, within tolerance and so is the MRF-C, it's just that the tolerance stack went against me in this case.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If you plan on using an Aimpoint, I would go for the RAS II.  For the price of a "shot show special" (RASII complete with a KAC vertical grip and an extra 6 rib panel roughly $275 RETAIL), why not?  When I got mine about 2 years ago, there was no such thing as a "shot show special".  With the aimpoint it is very functional, scoping it other than with an ACOG (TA01) wont work too well because of the lack of proper eye relief with the scope being too far back because of the "hump".  Anyway heres some pics of the RAS II installed...

showing the "hump"

with aimpoint in ARMS M68 mount

ETA: fixed red X's.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep this simple fellas.  

The only reason to go with a RASII is to mount an AIMPOINT.  Anything else go with flat free floating railed handguard.

FWIW, I have a RASII on my M4gery, and swear by it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#10]
RASII.  I can get spare parts from KAC if I need to
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Samson MRFS C
The continuous top rail, quality and price set this rail system apart.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/strick909/b8037d94.jpg

www.TalonArms.com

I don't sell this stuff so my response is not based/biased on that,

RASII. For me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I don't think it's fair to say that about Talon Arms simply because they're a vendor, after considering what one is willing to give up and gain, it's a personal preference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top